Defense Man To Man/Half Court Press Topic

Currently I have my Man to Man at 20 and Press at 10 on defensive practice.  Obviously Offense is 20 as well so that leaves me with 10 less practice minutes on my players.  That takes a toll I have noticed.  It doesn't seem to kill my stamina like it does on a Full Court press but my players do not improve as fast as normal.  To be honest I have never had much success at running Half Court press anything defense but I am bound and determined to figure it out.  I'm a .500 team most seasons.. Help Please!!!
2/20/2015 12:51 PM
You could try recruiting guys that know both, if they come in at a C- or better you could save yourself some minutes.   Also, look for JUCO's they tend to have higer IQ
s.
2/20/2015 1:18 PM
There is no magic potion .. if you want to run 2 defenses, you have to practice 2 defenses.  You can have 17, 17, 17 (which is 51) and practice the rest in normal development.  Or you can do what you do, and only play press (with 10 minutes of practice) at certain times, etc.

Either way, there is no shortcut .. if you want to play 2 defenses, you will either need to have defensive IQ grow slower, recruit only guys who run at least one of the defenses, or have attributes grow slower and put more time in defense.  It's math, it only works one way.

2/20/2015 4:26 PM
I went 20 off, 20 def, 10 press and had some success using the half court press portion of it in certain situations.  Down late in the game, or if the other team ran fb and/or fcp while being shorthanded.  Of it they had particularly turnover prone guards.  But as for an all the time thing, I never figured that out either.
2/20/2015 4:29 PM
You don't see Half Court Press teams in the tournament ever.  Should be something HD should change some.  Almost at a disadvantage.
2/20/2015 4:33 PM
I used it, semi successfully, as not half court press, but being able to use FCP as a game setting.  Either when behind late or just as an option.
2/20/2015 5:36 PM
Well I am 20-5 with a 14 SOS and 17 RPI..  Working so far in my 2nd season. 
3/12/2015 2:29 PM
I made the NT in Div-2 (Allen) with Zone/Press at St. Thomas Aquinas several seasons .. but I was just doing it as a test.  I don't normally use combo defense teams.
3/12/2015 4:06 PM
i strongly recommend anyone without multiple championships avoids HCP like the plague. its questionably ever worth it, on the risk/reward scale, but its more feasible for experienced coaches to make it work. i wouldnt recommend FB to new folks, but the only set i would recommend avoiding even to an experienced coach, is HCP.
3/12/2015 9:14 PM
I love HCP/zone. The tactical advantages are real. It's being able to play zone, while still generating turnovers; at the same time, it's playing press and still being able to double team (not to mention feeling ok about redshirting someone and playing with 11). I dedicate ~45 minutes per season to sets, but it varies based on personnel how it gets distributed. Usually along the lines of 18 offense; 15 zone; 12 press. If I've got a team where a number of principals have mostly maxed on cores, I'll bump that up a little for the O and zone; but I generally leave press between 10 and 12. 

There is a premium on getting guys with good HS GPAs and/or guys who already know some of the sets when running combo defenses. But I'm comfortable with my guys running HCP with a B-, which most of them can get to by the time conference play starts their sophomore year at 12 minutes per day.
3/13/2015 12:21 AM
Defense Man To Man/Half Court Press Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.