recruiting 8 next year any suggestions? Topic

So I took on a DIII team with 8 graduating seniors. I know the max per class is 6, so I will have to recruit at least 2 transfers or Juco's. Any suggestions on how to approach this massive rebuild? Do I concentrate on a couple of core players and promise minutes and starts? Or do I just recruit high potential, keep it local, and spread the money around? I fear running out of cash before I can sign a decent starting 5? What if I don't sign 8 and have to carry a couple of walk-ons?
2/27/2015 5:57 PM
You'll want to get some studs and some guarantees, I'd get 3-4 guys you shouldn't have to battle over 1 transfer and a stud and take a walk on or 2, the key in my eyes is finding a way to balance the class back instead of top loading again, so ideally maybe 4 potentials 1-2 studs and a juco then Redshirt 1 of them leaving a class of 4 and 2 walk ons, 2 walk ons from what I've read is no practice penalty. Plan for the future mostly, if you do it right you could be in the post season in a season or 2 and competing for deep runs in 3-4 seasons
2/27/2015 6:29 PM
Pick the best guys locally and lock them up early, plus take your pick of a fairly close transfer player. At D3, I like to hold back with a spot or two on big signing classes and grab the best of the drop downs and hidden gems that get missed on the first wave of signings (at D3 especially, there are almost always good players that fall through the cracks and I rarely feel like I've made the wrong decision in letting a good player go by in the hope a better one falls to me. A lot of times, even at worst case scenario, there's a player of comparable quality to the one I didn't sign right off the bat that's still out there on the last day of signing. If next year is a complete write-off, then there's no harm n promising starts/minutes as needed. 
2/27/2015 9:00 PM
Only target six - maybe even five. Secure those players and once you have them signed, then look around for any bargains with whatever money you may have left. Apply promised starts(no more than five naturally) and promised minutes(make sure the promises add up) liberally.

Look extremely close at the 100 miles or less category, as you area often able to go after a player or two there you couldn't go after farther away.

I'd keep it in mind as ignoring next year, plan as if you are having one long recruiting period that lasts two seasons. If you only do five or six this season that leaves you with two or three next year and leaves you with a healthier class structure, especially if you can throw a JUCO or two in there. I'd likely be aiming for good two seasons out. Don't try to get it all back in one bite.
2/28/2015 5:47 AM
Yeah, I'd get a 5 freshmen class, and keep the three other schols for next year. Just make sure to have a solid class and spend wisely.
2/28/2015 10:50 AM
I agree with arssanguinus and zorzii ... I would likely try to sign 5 good guys, who can start for 4 years, and roll 3 scholarships over for next season.  If you plan to Red Shirt one guy, AND IF there is a sixth guy you really like after signings start, then you could take a 6th player.

I think one of the things you want is some king of class balance as well.

I do know guys who like 5 player classes .. like 5-1-5-1 ... I am more of a 3-3-3-3 kind of guy (or as close as I can get while Red Shirting).  So take my advise from that perspective.
2/28/2015 11:03 AM
Thanks for the great input, I hadn't really given any thought to taking on multiple walk-ons. I guess it makes sense to play a 8-9 player rotation and balance out the classes. Now it's a matter of landing a stud or two, and playing the drop down sweepstakes.
2/28/2015 11:47 PM
It's also a matter of being able to spend your money divided by less players getting more bang for your dollar. That way you can afford better players than you could've pulled down or garnered otherwise we can protect the ones you're recruiting with five scholarships worth of money divided among eight players you might have trouble doing that.
3/1/2015 8:04 AM
5 froshes at least, try to go for 1 transfer(junior), 2 jucos (juniors) your sophomore class can use the help with the 3 juniors that you could bring in ( depending whats available in tark) 
3/1/2015 4:56 PM
recruiting 8 next year any suggestions? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.