Posted by colonels19 on 3/14/2015 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Ever since I saw a guy with 35+ NT appearances not able to get a D1 job (and seble DEFENDED the circumstance), I am thoroughly convinced that the job logic/system sucks/is definitely broken.

My thought is and always has been, if you have coached 1 season at D1 in a world, you should ALWAYS have a D1 job waiting for you...all the D-'s at the very least.  I gear up for a few seasons now and again in Tark to try to get back into D1 (I've coached 3 seasons there, 2 at South Carolina State and 1 at Jacksonville) and it's always an exercise in futility.  There's no consistency.

As soon as you take over a rebuild, your resume drops. It makes sense for the simplifying the algorithm, but it doesn't make much real life sense. I took ETSU from D- to the Sweet Sixteen (and I know this isn't unheard of, but I do think it is a sign of quality coaching), left for South Carolina, and the next season wasn't qualified for ETSU. I don't want to go back, but I should be able to if I wanted. That I can't is a sign that something pretty stupid is going on.
3/14/2015 3:13 PM
Agreed, and not only do my thoughts/solutions make logical sense, they make business sense too.  Having fuller lower tiers of D1 will keep more users interested I think because a lot of them are ghost towns as they stand.  Baseline prestige at D1 has kind of bastardized that level from the beginning because there's no real reason to want to stay at a mid/low major, because you'll only ever attain so much success because of how enormously powerful the Big 6 are.

And just for the guys that will get on their high horses and say "we don't need undeserving coaches in D1"  I'm not talking about undeserving coaches, I'm talking about guys that HAVE ALREADY MADE IT TO D1 PREVIOUSLY and guys like Tannermcc that are screwed by a ridiculous system...it's much better for the entire game to have humans at low level D1, than sims...it also opens up attractive D2 jobs as well.  I'm giving up on Tark again because despite my 7 NT appearances, 4 tourney championships, 6 conference championships and 460ish wins, I can't get back to D1, though I've been there twice before, having to earn it TWICE (again which is dumb).  So I hope WIS enjoys not having/taking my money because of their ****** D1 job logic.

3/14/2015 5:27 PM
Posted by zorzii on 3/14/2015 12:44:00 PM (view original):
I am trying to succeed in D1 for the first time. I took a D job, recruited well for my first class, now getting into my second class. I hope to build a successful program so I can get in a Big Six program down the line. I like the job logic as it is for D1. You have to work hard to get to it. I am going to try another strategy on another DII team I have, I will try and get directly to D1 Big Six. Will see what I need.

To jump to D1 from D2, you need A+/A+ and four NT bids. Depending on your success in NT, you get offers. But I did have a Sweet Sixteen NT on my resume and it only gave me D, D- jobs and one longshot at D+. So it's tough but I like it.
Wait, i need FOUR NT appearances to go Div-2 to Div-1...? Is this true?
First i was told 2 NT's, then it switched to 3 NT's. No freakin way should it be 4 NT's in Div-2 to qualify for D- Colgate.

EDIT:
Zorzii, you went from Div-2 NC Central to Div-1 IUPUI, with only 3 NT's in Div-2.
So you didn't need 4 NT's, right?
3/14/2015 7:20 PM (edited)
I am of the opinion that almost any decent Div-2 coach is better for any Div-1 school than a SIMAI coach.

I would say to open up any SIM team to any DIv-2 or lower Div-1 guys .. and still have logic to pick the best applicant.

I don't see any advantage to anyone to let a decent Div-1 team linger as a SIM team for 3 or 4 years to let someone who wants the job to take it.

3/14/2015 7:16 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 3/14/2015 7:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 3/14/2015 12:44:00 PM (view original):
I am trying to succeed in D1 for the first time. I took a D job, recruited well for my first class, now getting into my second class. I hope to build a successful program so I can get in a Big Six program down the line. I like the job logic as it is for D1. You have to work hard to get to it. I am going to try another strategy on another DII team I have, I will try and get directly to D1 Big Six. Will see what I need.

To jump to D1 from D2, you need A+/A+ and four NT bids. Depending on your success in NT, you get offers. But I did have a Sweet Sixteen NT on my resume and it only gave me D, D- jobs and one longshot at D+. So it's tough but I like it.
Wait, i need FOUR NT appearances to go Div-2 to Div-1...? Is this true?
First i was told 2 NT's, then it switched to 3 NT's. No freakin way should it be 4 NT's in Div-2 to qualify for D- Colgate.

EDIT:
Zorzii, you went from Div-2 NC Central to Div-1 IUPUI, with only 3 NT's in Div-2.
So you didn't need 4 NT's, right?
You definitely don't need 4.  You can do it with 2 if those two are successful NT runs- can't be 1st round exits in there.  
3/14/2015 7:23 PM
The bar is already low to go from D2 to D1. It's not like you have to win championships or something to move up. The OP wasn't complaining because he couldn't get to D1, he was complaining he couldn't bypass going to a mid-major before going to a Big 6.
3/14/2015 7:26 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 3/14/2015 7:26:00 PM (view original):
The bar is already low to go from D2 to D1. It's not like you have to win championships or something to move up. The OP wasn't complaining because he couldn't get to D1, he was complaining he couldn't bypass going to a mid-major before going to a Big 6.
But, stinenavy, in Crum World (my main world) it looks like 2 NT's (2nd round in each) over 6 seasons earned you a Div-1 slot. But the way it is now, Div-2 owners are being told we possibly need 4 NT's just to qualify for D- prestige dung piles like Colgate or Holy Cross. That's not really a low bar, right?
3/14/2015 8:00 PM
Five of the 6 seasons in D2 had at least a postseason berth, that counts for something.

I don't know if what you were being told is accurate. Since you are snooping through my profile, you should take a look at Phelan which took a whole 5 seasons to get from D3 to D1. If you want to move up, win games, especially in the NT. If you can't do that you probably shouldn't be able to move up.
3/14/2015 8:29 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 3/14/2015 8:29:00 PM (view original):
Five of the 6 seasons in D2 had at least a postseason berth, that counts for something.

I don't know if what you were being told is accurate. Since you are snooping through my profile, you should take a look at Phelan which took a whole 5 seasons to get from D3 to D1. If you want to move up, win games, especially in the NT. If you can't do that you probably shouldn't be able to move up.
Sorry, i should have asked for your permission before clicking on 2 buttons to see your Crum resume.
3/14/2015 8:46 PM
stinenavy is quite the narc, so watch out for him.  I feel like there are a lot of guys out there that have been in D1 for a long *** time now that really don't know what it's like nowadays.
3/15/2015 12:02 AM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.