D1 Recruiting with Low Prestige Topic

For a D1 team with D or D+ Prestige whats a realistic top position rank to go after? I've had no problem pulling down 70 ranked recruits, should I even try to go higher or will I be wasting money. (This is considering the recruit is undecided)
3/16/2015 7:58 PM
I've pulled top 50 with a D but not ez if he's going to be a Stud, distance helps so sometimes your **** out of luck if nobody good is around you. It can be very easy if a big 6 C-B- prestige jumps on your guy. You'll need some serious cash
3/16/2015 11:32 PM
Bump
3/17/2015 11:24 AM
As others have mentioned, it's going to vary a lot based on your world's circumstances, and honestly, luck of the draw.  I'd advise against hardlining a particular number.  Better to focus on your teams specific needs, and just go for the best player you can get, whether he's #50, #70, or #140.
3/17/2015 11:30 AM
From my experiance I found I was able to get better players in my first year at the school, then downhill in year 2 and 3.  Almost like the engine is trying to help you get off on the right foot.  Probably not really happening like that, but it sure felt that way.
3/17/2015 4:06 PM
What cburton23 says. 
3/17/2015 7:50 PM
Thanks for the input, I totally agree there's really good players who aren't even ranked in top 100 but to rephrase question:
There's a SG ranked between 35-60 and within 300 miles Do I even waste money on him or spend it on 70+ guy who will still be good player but not near potential of top SG? (If a higher prestige school got involved I would obviously abort)
3/17/2015 9:26 PM
You are best off focusing on players with a ton of potential and not worrying about a certain number. Try to get players that will end up over 800, and they have good Ath and defense, or will have them. At Fordham, I recruited a PG named Willie Cummins. I redshirted him. Here are his starting and finishing stats. He turned out to be a star for us after gaining 326 points in his career, including going from 27 to 100 in PE. I recruited several other players like this and built a really strong team.
          Starting   Final
Ath     38     69
Spd     57     94
Reb     10     14
Def     45     73
SB     14     40
LP     14     21
PE     27     100
BH     62     85
P     46     89
WE     74     92
St     70     89
DU     57     75
FT     C-     B+
Total     514     841
3/17/2015 9:33 PM
I'm not great at DI, but I have managed to build a mid-major into...well...a team that makes the NT most of the time and then promptly loses.

The key to creating something of a turnaround like I did (taking it to the next step I'll leave to someone else) is to do what chapelhillne said - get guys with lots of potential.

3/17/2015 9:39 PM
FWIW- I pulled down a #42 SF #181 overall with 20 scouting trips. 
I understand potential and recruiting best possible guy, point of the question is if I find a guy I really like ranked in top 40 is it worth going after him?
Anyone else have similar experiences with D prestige?
3/20/2015 6:00 PM
Posted by eric9930 on 3/20/2015 6:00:00 PM (view original):
FWIW- I pulled down a #42 SF #181 overall with 20 scouting trips. 
I understand potential and recruiting best possible guy, point of the question is if I find a guy I really like ranked in top 40 is it worth going after him?
Anyone else have similar experiences with D prestige?
If you are able to recruit him, and you like him, there's not going to be a losing battle fought, then sure it's worth going after him.  Just make sure you CAN go after him before you waste a bunch of money.  Send the coach a phone call and find out if he can be recruited immediately, if you're a back-up option, or if he's out of your league.

Cost you ten bucks, but you'll know for sure where you stand.  I much prefer calling the coach because there is no ambiguity about whether he's immediately recruitable and sometimes the player messages can be just a little confusing to a newer coach (which one shouldn't be if he's recruiting at D1, but I digress.  A lot).  Plus, not that it generally matters much, but you might get info on what offense and defense the player knows.  That isn't real important for freshman recruits, but for JuCos it can often be a deal breaker.  So yeah, there ya go!!  Hope that helped, if even just a little.
3/22/2015 4:12 AM
D1 Recruiting with Low Prestige Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.