Inadvertent Starter Topic

I just recruited a guy and didn't realize I inadvertently gave him starter minutes. sent a icket in to see if I could get it pulled. cycle came around and he accepted the starter status. Is there still a cance they may get rid of it.
3/31/2015 8:15 PM
I can't type either.
3/31/2015 8:17 PM
I would highly doubt it.

If you think starting him will hurt you that much, just pull the scholarship offer and recruit someone else.

I don't think there is a huge difference between starting someone and giving him 15 minutes compared to bringing him off the bench and having him play 10 minutes.

4/1/2015 12:31 AM (edited)
You can always "hide" the start...set the kid to "fairly fresh" if you use fatigue and put his backup (your intended starter) at "getting tired". Change his foul setting to "take out quicker" so that he basically sits any time he picks up 2 in the first half, 3 before the 15 minute mark or so or 4 before the 7 minute mark. 

You can also offer a redshirt if he hasn't already signed with you, which will pull all promises made, but might also require you to send a couple HVs or a CV to keep him from rejecting the scholarship. 
3/31/2015 9:07 PM

If the recruit hasn't signed yet and you have some spare recruiting cash, you have a few options available to you:

1.  Inform of Redshirt ($10).  This will remove both guaranteed starts and promised minutes but carries with it negative recruiting effort (so if you haven't put in loads of effort or are in a battle, the recruit might drop you from his consideration list altogether).  Otherwise you probably have to offer another HV or two to get him to keep considering you (you want to do this in the same cycle as the Inform of Redshirt to be safe).

2.  Alternatively, if you don’t want to redshirt the recruit,  a cheaper solution for just another $10, you can combine both the above Inform of Redshirt AND Inform of Non-Redshirt in the same cycle.  By doing them in the same cycle, this will remove the negative effort so its neutral from a recruiting standpoint but there is zero chance that the recruit will accept a redshirt now without his WE dropping to near zero.

Both of these options will remove his expectation to start if you sign him.  Also I wouldn't do just option #1 at Division 1 with a 5 or 4 star recruit as they will almost always drop you from consideration regardless of how much effort you've put into them.

[Edit] One other thing, since you offered a start, this has recruiting value and by taking that away you might get dropped unless you've put in enough effort already without that start so you might have to end up pushing additional HVs anyway to keep your school in consideration.

4/1/2015 12:41 AM (edited)
2.  Alternatively, if you don’t want to redshirt the recruit,  a cheaper solution for just another $10, you can combine both the above Inform of Redshirt AND Inform of Non-Redshirt in the same cycle.  By doing them in the same cycle, this will remove the negative effort so its neutral from a recruiting standpoint...
Wait, is that actually true?  It's my understanding that Informing is a big negative, and that the anti-inform alone wouldn't cancel that out entirely, no matter when it was offered.
4/1/2015 10:02 AM
Yes it's true. Anti inform will cancel out the negative effect of the redshirt offer but what it doesn't cancel out is the loss of the promise that the redshirt itself canceled out. So if the promise is what is putting you in the lead, canceling that out may drop you.
4/1/2015 11:33 AM
The guaranteed start obviously carries recruiting value and taking that away is a negative in of itself.  The Inform and Non-Inform cancels each other recruiting value wise but the Inform also removes the start so you'll lose that from your overall effort that you've dropped into the recruit and might have to offset that in a situation where you either close to the consideration line or in a tight battle.
4/1/2015 11:52 AM
Thanks.  Learning stuff rulez.
4/1/2015 11:58 AM
It worked for me. I used the inform and uninform of red shirt and still got the kid signed.
4/5/2015 12:21 PM
Wow I did not know of this. Could have used that knowledge last recruiting cycle. 
4/5/2015 1:36 PM
Inadvertent Starter Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.