I am brand new, what I know about this game comes from reading the player's guide and the forums.    I am in a battle for a recruit with another team . .

I am 130 miles away, the other team is 560 (two states) away

The other team has only one available scholarship - 11 returning players

By my understanding, the other team therefore has a little more than 3K to spend.

The only reason they would want the player in question is if they scouted him.    To scout his home state and this player's state, would cost about $1,000, and make no sense.   But for him to scout all the states up to a 560 mile radius would cost his entire budget, or more.

When I had spent $2000 on a mix of recruiting efforts, my school name did not even appear on his profile as being considered (even though i constantly get "I am not against playing there" responses.

Now that I have spent $3000, I am on the board at last.   But not ahead.   Keep in mind my home visits cost $325, his cost about $770.

How could a team with one scholarship afford to scout so far away and still have over $3000  left to spend?

4/1/2015 5:55 PM
It could be about his prestige. Check out his prestige, Yours is C-. It depends on his conference too. Depending if they got money for NT and PIT participation, he probably has more than 3K. Be sure not to continue going for Seven freshmen, you can only bring in SIX. I don't know how much money you have left, but I'd wait close to the signing period before spending more money on that center. Check the word on the street to see how tight they are before plunging in some more too.

Hope that helps.
4/1/2015 6:00 PM
Tennessee scouting Indiana is not a stretch. Keep in mind he plays in a full (and very talented) conference, and probably has a bit of a war chest from NT money, and maybe even some carryover from previous years. It's not unusual for teams in full conferences to rake in an extra 4k+ in tourney money if they had some good teams the previous year. Plus, that big's cores are pretty good. Guys in full conferences often have to find niches so they're not banging up against each other all the time. That guy was bound to get some attention.

I don't suspect anything here.
4/1/2015 6:14 PM (edited)

Looks like that conference played around 25 NT games worth last season (sent 8 of the 12 teams to the NT), earning around $75K in post season cash which would translate to around another $6K per conference team.

So assuming he doesn't have rollover from the previous season, at minimum he's got around upwards of $9K and might have more.

From the FAQ:

Q: Do schools that participate in postseason tournaments get "money" for appearing?
A:

Yes, money will be generated based on performance in tournaments, but that money is earned for each school's respective conference and is distributed evenly to conference members. The tournament money is added to the recruiting budget for next season.

For the National Tournament:

• In Division III, conferences will earn $3,000 per game played by one of it's members schools
  • In Division II, conferences will earn $5,000 per game played by one of it's members schools
  • In Division I, conferences will earn $20,000 per game played by one of it's members schools

For the PostSeason Invitational:

• In Division III, conferences will earn $1,000 per game played by one of it's members schools
  • In Division II, conferences will earn $1,500 per game played by one of it's members schools
  • In Division I, conferences will earn $5,000 per game played by one of it's members schools

So if a single conference had two teams in the National Tournament and both of those teams made it to the final game, the conference would earn $36,000 (12 total games x $3,000). The $36,000 will then be divided equally amongst that conferences member schools, so each school would receive $3,000.

4/1/2015 6:21 PM
Also remember that you can buy FSS during the previous season, so he could easily have paid for this year's scouting with a portion of last year's carry-over cash. 
4/1/2015 6:25 PM
It's likely a result of extra recruiting cash generated by the conference's NT games.  Assuming you're talking about the recruit I think you are, the coach you're referring to had closer to $10K to start, even with only 1 opening.
4/1/2015 6:43 PM
real shenanigans
4/1/2015 6:48 PM
It's generally not a good idea to post how much you've spent on a recruit.  That could be good information for the other coach to have.  On the other hand, he now knows how serious you are about this recruit, which may discourage him for continuing the battle. 
4/1/2015 6:48 PM
thanks to everyone who responded.   I had no idea post season could be so much money.    I also didn't know I could purchase next years' FSS with my leftover money.     I have a better understanding now.   thanks again to all -
4/1/2015 6:54 PM
One other thing to keep in mind - one thing I do (and I assume other coaches do as well) is search through the recruits for players who meet certain minimum requirements and then flag them as possibilities for recruiting - which then helps me decide where to use FSS.  For example, in D3 if looking for a PG I might use the search screen to look for players with ratings of at least 40 in SPD, DE, BH, and PASS and add them all to my list.  Then I decide which states to scout by looking at how many recruits who pass my initial screening are in various states and are undecided when recruiting begins.  So I could be a Florida school but end up scouting Minnesota if there are multiple players there who passed my initial requirements.  I don't necessarily scout nearby states if it appears there are no players of interest to me in them.
4/1/2015 8:21 PM
One other small point that I don't think has been mentioned is that he may very well be only using CVs instead of HVs at that distance. So not exactly apples to apples on the type of effort applied.
4/1/2015 8:55 PM
well Nick that brings up another question.   I have found a number of usefull posts and such to read through.   Is there anywhere anyone has  tried to quantify the comparitive value (effectiveness, not cost) or the different types of recruiting?   is there a thread or a chat that addresses this?
4/1/2015 9:08 PM
Posted by deroches on 4/1/2015 9:08:00 PM (view original):
well Nick that brings up another question.   I have found a number of usefull posts and such to read through.   Is there anywhere anyone has  tried to quantify the comparitive value (effectiveness, not cost) or the different types of recruiting?   is there a thread or a chat that addresses this?
Regarding HV and CV, the consensus is 1 CV = 2.0-2.5 HV.  Coaches have their own idea on where exactly that multiplier lies but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone post exactly what they feel the ratio is.  And the secrecy is mostly due to not wanting to give away info on how they recruit.  For example, if a coach publicly said they only used CV when the recruit is > 200 miles away, then I might be able to narrow down exactly how much effort and money they've spent on a kid during a battle, and that's a pretty useful piece of info to have.
4/1/2015 9:19 PM
Darnoc : Do you know if there is a change in value when you consider the distance. Logically, a player that lives 10 miles from my home already knows my campus, other recruits, Under 100 miles should know it too. So HVS might have more impact. On the other hand, when I recruit at 500 miles, getting the kid to come to campus might have more value.

Anything about this on any threads?
4/1/2015 10:04 PM
Posted by zorzii on 4/1/2015 10:04:00 PM (view original):
Darnoc : Do you know if there is a change in value when you consider the distance. Logically, a player that lives 10 miles from my home already knows my campus, other recruits, Under 100 miles should know it too. So HVS might have more impact. On the other hand, when I recruit at 500 miles, getting the kid to come to campus might have more value.

Anything about this on any threads?
a CV is a CV, the value does not change by distance.
4/1/2015 10:35 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.