Team Offense Ideas? Topic

struggling on offense with this team and just in general.  recomended tempo, i was running normal, and slowdown at the begining then moved to uptempo hoping to draw fouls, don't know if uptempo is hurting me now.

www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx

4/12/2015 3:06 AM
Here is what I would do for a depth chart with your team:

PG:  Scott, Beyer, <blank>, Thompson
SG:  Jury, Beyer, Thompson, <blank>
SF:  Chaney, Thompson, Novello, Leo
PF:  Sprouse, Novello, Russell, Young
C :  Marks, Novello, <blank>, Russell

And I would likely be using distros like this (based on attributes and results to this point in the season):

Scott:  11
Jury:  7
Chaney:  6
Sprouse:  6
Marks:  5

Beyer:  10
Thompson:  4
Leo:  0
Russell:  3 (maybe 4 or 5, he is shooting well and has a B- in OIQ, but he is a FR).  I would also not let his PER drop.
Novello:  8

Young:  0

I would set Jury at -1 for 3pt .. and I would have tried both Scott and Thompson at -1 for 3pt .. and based on how they have done, maybe shifted them back to -2.  Everyone else on the team would be at -2 for 3pt.

For tempo, would not run uptempo .. I would run Normal and shift to Slowdown for games I did not think I could win.

NOTE:  Just based on attributes and not performance, I see your top scoring options as Beyer, Scott, Jury, Marks, Chaney, Thompson .. in that order.

4/12/2015 7:01 AM (edited)
TheOnlySis : Against better offensive teams, I'd always run slowdown. I'd go normal on other teams. I think you can score Inside. I think you are lacking balance... on the per. Your offense is subpar. Win with defense in other words. Anyways, you are moving up to GLIAC next year. We are waiting for you to come and rebuild a team and participate in our division! (Smile) We want to fill the conference. It's getting more fun every year.

And I use the 0,1,2,3,4 distro sets. It works the best. An experienced coach told me to do this and I have been doing it on all my teams. It's the easiest and the most efficient. 0 = no offense. 1 = maybe 2= can score 3= good scorer 4= elite scorer. I struggle offensively when I only have two 3... or a 3 a 4. I think, if you build a good defense, you need three 3, not more. I am only missing the other 3... In all my team. So sometimes, I face defensive team that will shut me down.
4/12/2015 8:04 AM
I would have to agree with the two above prescriptions. Anyway, my problem isn't offense but that I can't stop anybody with averett.
4/12/2015 8:22 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 4/12/2015 7:01:00 AM (view original):

And I would likely be using distros like this (based on attributes and results to this point in the season):

Russell:  3 (maybe 4 or 5, he is shooting well and has a B- in OIQ, but he is a FR).  I would also not let his PER drop.

I would set Jury at -1 for 3pt .. and I would have tried both Scott and Thompson at -1 for 3pt .. and based on how they have done, maybe shifted them back to -2.  Everyone else on the team would be at -2 for 3pt.

For tempo, would not run uptempo .. I would run Normal and shift to Slowdown for games I did not think I could win.

NOTE:  Just based on attributes and not performance, I see your top scoring options as Beyer, Scott, Jury, Marks, Chaney, Thompson .. in that order.

Hi hughes,
Not disagreeing, just trying to learn...

Sprouse seems like he should be weak on offense, with LP 17, PER 10, and BH 1.
Chaney and Marks have great ATH and good LP.
Your distro recommendation has Sprouse getting the same touches as Chaney and Marks though.
I was wondering about your thought process there?

I don't have a ton of experience but I would tend to go:
Marks 16,
Chaney 16,
Scott 14,
Beyer 14,
Jury 10.
Then the rest in low single digits.
Sprouse would be set at distro 1, and his job would be to get offensive rebound putbacks and table scraps, the team's junkyard dog.
:o)
Novello would be a 2 at highest, and i would nickname him Wilbert "Father Guido Sarducci" Novello..
4/12/2015 11:22 AM (edited)
Ok I made some adjustments for Beyer and Sprouse, increasing their distro, moving Beyer up on the depth chart, and I'll stop running uptempo and move to normal/slowdown.  A little confused on why Beyer is supposed to be a top offensive threat all he has is elite bh, but hughes you are a great coach so I won't doubt your judgement.
4/12/2015 5:49 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 4/12/2015 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 4/12/2015 7:01:00 AM (view original):

Hi hughes,
Not disagreeing, just trying to learn...

Sprouse seems like he should be weak on offense, with LP 17, PER 10, and BH 1.
Chaney and Marks have great ATH and good LP.
Your distro recommendation has Sprouse getting the same touches as Chaney and Marks though.
I was wondering about your thought process there?

I don't have a ton of experience but I would tend to go:
Marks 16,
Chaney 16,
Scott 14,
Beyer 14,
Jury 10.
Then the rest in low single digits.
Sprouse would be set at distro 1, and his job would be to get offensive rebound putbacks and table scraps, the team's junkyard dog.
:o)
Novello would be a 2 at highest, and i would nickname him Wilbert "Father Guido Sarducci" Novello..
Would you feed them a steady diet of beets, too, with the dirt still on them?
4/12/2015 6:14 PM
Dude, don't give away my Merrimack secrets... those beets are worth 4 or 5 points to me per game...!
:)
4/12/2015 7:27 PM
So TheOnly, with all your offense problems, have you settled on a GLIAC team for next year? I mean, what more can you ask than be in GLIAC trying to get a full conference.
4/12/2015 7:31 PM
Posted by zorzii on 4/12/2015 7:31:00 PM (view original):
So TheOnly, with all your offense problems, have you settled on a GLIAC team for next year? I mean, what more can you ask than be in GLIAC trying to get a full conference.
I'm already in D2 Phelan(S. New Hampshire) on my other account and I'm fine being in a top 5 D3 conf in all the worlds, sorry, hopefully you get some other coaches to join you though!

And I've got a good thing set up with La Grange, offesnive problems and all still 14 RPI and 1 SOS, hoping next year will be even better with my 4 Jr's becoming Sr's.  Just trying to help elevate this team to the next level, and offense is holding me back.
4/12/2015 7:44 PM (edited)
Posted by the0nlyis on 4/12/2015 5:49:00 PM (view original):
Ok I made some adjustments for Beyer and Sprouse, increasing their distro, moving Beyer up on the depth chart, and I'll stop running uptempo and move to normal/slowdown.  A little confused on why Beyer is supposed to be a top offensive threat all he has is elite bh, but hughes you are a great coach so I won't doubt your judgement.
I think because of his high ft and bh. Will get to the line a lot.
4/12/2015 8:01 PM
Posted by terps21234 on 4/12/2015 8:01:00 PM (view original):
Ok thats what I assumed since he's done that 3 times in the season.

Does bh equate into offense besides just limiting turnovers and factoring into perimeter shooting?
4/12/2015 8:18 PM (edited)
Posted by the0nlyis on 4/12/2015 8:18:00 PM (view original):

Does bh equate into offense besides just limiting turnovers and factoring into perimeter shooting?
Good question on BH.

Posts in this forum occasionally mention "slashing" guards... I think high BH with the guy set at -2 in offensive positioning will lead to the player slashing to the hoop or making space for himself to take a 2-pointer...? Mixed with high Speed it can lead to fouls too. This has not yet been confirmed by veterans here though, but this tends to happen on my teams.
4/12/2015 8:28 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 4/12/2015 8:28:00 PM (view original):

Good question on BH.

Posts in this forum occasionally mention "slashing" guards... I think high BH with the guy set at -2 in offensive positioning will lead to the player slashing to the hoop or making space for himself to take a 2-pointer...? Mixed with high Speed it can lead to fouls too. This has not yet been confirmed by veterans here though, but this tends to happen on my teams.
Ok I just thought they also had to have 40-50 lp to be "slashing" guards.  Maybe not?
4/12/2015 8:43 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 4/12/2015 8:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by npb7768 on 4/12/2015 8:28:00 PM (view original):

Good question on BH.

Ok I just thought they also had to have 40-50 lp to be "slashing" guards.  Maybe not?
No, actually i don't know... I'm hoping a veteran owner can explain things.
4/12/2015 10:27 PM
1234 Next ▸
Team Offense Ideas? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.