I just got an email back from my assistant coach for a Juco player.  It said Defensively, they mostly play a halfcourt press/zone.  Then it goes on to say pretty typical of most players that age in man to man.  Does this mean that is his third defense.  I have never seen this before.  I have done multiple evals and it comes up with the man to man reference every time.
4/20/2015 11:33 AM
Sounds like a glitch. Contact customer support? 
4/20/2015 1:07 PM
I'm with sol here but considering that it's probably the same assistant that provides multiple evaluations on shot blocking, rebounding and performance in the classroom of every point guard that gets recruited in this game this sounds like par for the course. In fact, I like the evolution here. We now have an assistant reporting back on defensive sets the player doesn't even appear to play. 

4/20/2015 1:41 PM
CS says that it is not a mistake and it means what it says it means.  Doesn't make sense to me.  How could you watch a game where a kid presses and zones and come back saying "his understanding of man to man defense is typical of players his age"?
4/21/2015 2:33 PM
i don't know, doesn't really sound right. well, actually, it must be that they are juco, because for freshman, if it says mostly hcp/zone, it then tells you their press and zone IQ. not man. i think this juco must have IQ in all 3 sets? i don't know which is his first though. that is pretty strange wording, honestly, i've never noticed that. i wonder if man is his best or worst set? i could see it either way. the hcp/zone statement typically means man is the worst but the man statement means its the best. makes no sense really. but my money is he has all 3 defenses in some quantities. can you paste the exact wording?

edit: upon further consideration, im guessing hcp/zone is the set of the JUCO he plays at, and man is what he had as a freshman. is he a juco 3? if he was that might make me feel better about all this.

send a few coach calls (1 by 1), they give you info about the set much more cheaply - would be interesting to see if they are in line or contradictory. i never look at sets from evals really anyway, i always look at coach responses, so maybe that is why this response is making me struggle.
4/21/2015 6:31 PM (edited)
Is the kid possibly a player that was cut from or who left someone's roster after a freshman year, didn't get picked up and therefore wound up in the JUCO pool? 

If so, the explanation might go something like this...Player had a high school IQ of C- or C in man, got signed by Old Team for a season and studied man-to-man defense further, probably resulting in the player finishing his freshman year as a B- IQ or so. He quits/gets cut from the team, doesn't get signed and gets assigned to the JUCO pool, where he plays for a team that runs zone/press. But since he would have started in the F/D- range in those defenses most likely, his IQ after one JUCO season remains better in man than it does in press or zone. The scout tells you about whatever sets the guy is currently running on Off/Def, but the second half of the messages is set to trigger on whatever the player's top defensive rating is, which in this case would still be man-to-man. 

The OP is right that it's a silly quirk with the wording, but I could see where the programming potentially would generate such a message. 
4/21/2015 6:35 PM
yeah, that could work as well rednu. i was leaning towards a juco 3 where his fr man iq trumped his juco hcp/zone iq as juco iq can be not that good. or maybe even the reverse, but i was thinking the man part being last was probably suggesting it was highest. i think your scenario is very similar to that, but could apply on a juco 2 as well.
4/21/2015 7:07 PM
JuCos can have IQ's in all three sets.  They can have their original defense from high school and then the new defense for the junior college.  If one of them happened to practice combo defenses and the other practiced the third defense, then there you go.  It's not common, but it is common sense.  It's not really extremely rare either.

By the way, this IS the answer, not a smartass response.  Just do a coach call and it will tell you what they run at his junior college.

4/23/2015 2:57 AM (edited)

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.