should I feel accomplished? Topic

Finally lost my first recruiting battle, now this means 1 of 3 things either i havent been aggressive enough with top flight recruits, i have picked my battles wisely, or i have no idea what a good recruit looks like. Now this first loss comes in D1 after spending 34,000 on a single recruit, i had 2 open schollies and heavy rollover and locked up my other recruit for 1,200. So i went ballz deep on a recruit and was the only considered school until i got snatched by an A- school a couple cycles before signing. What do you think guys? Good or bad that i lost my first battle ever in D1 and not sooner?
6/27/2015 6:29 PM
just a quick question, but did you spend the 34,000 on him before the A- school grabbed him or after, if you spent 34,000k on him before any other school did, it personally seems like a waste, I don't think it would take that much at all to get the "solid on nichols state"  if you waited until the A- got on him to spend money, why would you drop 34k on him anyways?  Seems like it was already a lost battle with your prestige and low # of open schollies, I'm assuming the A- school had at least the same # of schollies as well as a very giagantic conference recruiting cash which means he probably had the prestige and cash battle which would look and ended up a losing effort.
6/28/2015 1:56 AM
I had only spent about 18k, and was fine with taking a walk on to force a real battle, since im comfortable with my roster. So i dropped about 14k after the a- hopped on
6/28/2015 2:26 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bagger288 on 6/28/2015 2:26:00 AM (view original):
I had only spent about 18k, and was fine with taking a walk on to force a real battle, since im comfortable with my roster. So i dropped about 14k after the a- hopped on
wait you spent 18k while being the only school he was considering, I'm still new to D1, but that seems like a lot of money to put into a recruit with no other competition.
6/28/2015 3:08 AM
It's important in D1 to appear VERY TIGHT on the WOTS
6/28/2015 6:44 AM
Posted by dadbod on 6/28/2015 6:44:00 AM (view original):
I definitely disagree with this, especially in lower D1, and bagger's scenario is case and point why.  If higher prestige school (and especially one more than a full letter grade higher is prestige) comes in late there's nothing you can really do.  The only thing it might do is keep some of the lower prestige schools at bay, but it's all about the math in the end-distance, my money and your money, and prestige.  In most cases I don't think WOTS matters much-if coaches think they can win the battle then they'll battle.
6/28/2015 8:24 AM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 6/28/2015 8:24:00 AM (view original):
I definitely disagree with this, especially in lower D1, and bagger's scenario is case and point why.  If higher prestige school (and especially one more than a full letter grade higher is prestige) comes in late there's nothing you can really do.  The only thing it might do is keep some of the lower prestige schools at bay, but it's all about the math in the end-distance, my money and your money, and prestige.  In most cases I don't think WOTS matters much-if coaches think they can win the battle then they'll battle.
Eh, I think it matters some.  If I'm thinking about scooping up a role player from a smaller school late in signings, I probably don't want to spend a lot because I want to have enough to protect my studs.  If I see that they're tight with a guy, it might deter me a little because the price tag is slightly higher.  I don't necessarily want a battle, I want the smaller school to go away without a fight because that guy isn't that important to me.  As for the bigger prospects, I don't think it matters- that's where your math comes in.  But for the smaller school role players, I probably have other guys I'm battling for or preparing to battle for, some being tight might be the difference between me jumping or not.
6/28/2015 8:55 AM
I do want to say at the first 3 cycles I had another school on the recruit which he was a solid C+ so I wanted to assert myself and try to lock him up early and sit on cash for a battle. Now remember I was ready to take on a walk on, the cash was into the battle no matter what, I wanted to battle regardless of the other schools prestige. It almost was a test to see if I throw all my money how hard it can be. Then I realized that's the first battle I've ever lost, truth be told I probably would of re-allocated the extra 12k ish or whatever it was but I wanted to battle. I wanted to go big or go home, I get what people are saying
6/28/2015 12:53 PM
Posted by tkimble on 6/28/2015 8:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by darnoc29099 on 6/28/2015 8:24:00 AM (view original):
Eh, I think it matters some.  If I'm thinking about scooping up a role player from a smaller school late in signings, I probably don't want to spend a lot because I want to have enough to protect my studs.  If I see that they're tight with a guy, it might deter me a little because the price tag is slightly higher.  I don't necessarily want a battle, I want the smaller school to go away without a fight because that guy isn't that important to me.  As for the bigger prospects, I don't think it matters- that's where your math comes in.  But for the smaller school role players, I probably have other guys I'm battling for or preparing to battle for, some being tight might be the difference between me jumping or not.
I understand what you're saying here.  But if you and I are semi-near each other, we've probably FSS'ed the many of the same states.  If I have 5 openings and you can see potentials and WOTS's on 3-5 of my guys and they're all "very open to other options," then you can estimate sitting there with $60K-$65K in reserve.  Conversely, if I'm *tight* with those same guys, then you can estimate I've got maybe $30K-$35K left.  In the end, it comes down to whether or not you want to wage a battle (vs protect your recruits) and whether or not you think you can win said battle....it's still a numbers game.
6/28/2015 2:27 PM
should I feel accomplished? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.