Top D3 coach POLL VOTE AWAY!!! Topic

Coaches listed alphabetically

Feel free to post your rankings up to top 10, and I can also tally votes myself to figure out 2-10 rankings.

Votes: 78
(Last vote received: 4/26/2016 11:35 AM)
6/28/2015 3:18 AM
another thing, regardless of where people end up rankings I think the fact that being on the list or considered for being on the list is well worthy of extreme praise and hope like the rest of us plebians that we can one day be in a situation to be considered one of the best.

if I was to do a top 10 I'd go
  1. jsajsa
  2. tarvolon
  3. pepwaves
  4. dgravs
  5. gallagh
  6. jdno
  7. carlbuzz
  8. brianxaiver
  9. worldofnoah
  10. mfnmyers
Each coach is simply amazing in there ability at the D3 level
6/28/2015 3:33 AM (edited)
Mine would be

1. Dgravs
2. Jsajsa
3. Pepwaves
4. Worldofnoah
5.gallagh (face him in University, you'll know)
6. Jdno
7. Mfnmyers
8. Tarvolon
9. Anavrin
10. Brianxavier
6/28/2015 9:04 AM
I still have no idea who Worldofnoah and Anavrin (who zorzii voted for even though he's not on the list) are.  And I don't think anyone except Zorzii even brought them up as options in the other thread.  So obviously this is extremely subjective with only a few people nominating coaches at all, but I'm not sure I even except that these are the top 10 DIII coached.  
If someone wants to post a link to Worldofnoahs profile for me, that might help, even though I already for jsajsa, and I can't imagine anything changing that.

1. jsajsa
2/3pepwaves/tarvolon
4. Carlbuzz
5-10-don't actually care about the rest.  I do have high regard for other coaches on this list like ggallagh, but I've played in worlds with him that I wouldnt consider him dominant, just very good.  But I definitely put him jdno, dgravs and brianxavier way ahead of the other 2.
6/28/2015 9:55 AM
Where' the narcotico option?
6/28/2015 10:09 AM
and no aejones?
6/28/2015 1:05 PM
Worldofnoah is very good.   I literally have never beaten him.
6/28/2015 1:17 PM
Put aejones on there forsure
6/28/2015 4:14 PM
Posted by me4284850 on 6/28/2015 4:14:00 PM (view original):
Put aejones on there forsure
aejones is no longer dominant. He probably could be if he wanted to but I think he is just going through the motions in HD.

Take a look at his recent resume. He hasn't won a D3 championship in about 10 seasons and he has struggled big time in the more competitive D3 worlds like Wooden and Naismith (a few losing seasons). The aejones I've competed against in the past 10-20 seasons hasn't been that difficult to beat honestly.

This isn't meant to be a knock on the guy's talent. He did some amazing things in the past but he doesn't appear to be that interested in being good anymore.
6/28/2015 4:36 PM
it would be interesting to see everyone's resume… and of course a real fancy way to do this would be to actually look at who has the most titles at D3 over across all worlds… say in the last 10 seasons.  I know I can't see all worlds, and of course you may also want to consider how many teams each coach has too so as not to bias the results towards great coaches with many teams (tarvolon, mfnmyers come to mind).

pepwaves and jsajsa are probably the best that I have seen at D3 lately.  jdno is also fantastic and has helped me learn D1 - I know he's outstanding but I actually don't think I've gone against him much at D3.  I also think tarvolon is really, really good although his luck in Rupp where I play him hasn't been that great.

cool idea to consider and aspire to being one of the best coaches across all worlds…. I definitely consider myself a few notches below the elite guys.

6/28/2015 4:39 PM
A vote for bx who has been consistently dominant in the toughest division in the most competitive D3 World - Rupp.

ps- And he OWNS me!
6/28/2015 5:14 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 6/28/2015 4:39:00 PM (view original):
it would be interesting to see everyone's resume… and of course a real fancy way to do this would be to actually look at who has the most titles at D3 over across all worlds… say in the last 10 seasons.  I know I can't see all worlds, and of course you may also want to consider how many teams each coach has too so as not to bias the results towards great coaches with many teams (tarvolon, mfnmyers come to mind).

pepwaves and jsajsa are probably the best that I have seen at D3 lately.  jdno is also fantastic and has helped me learn D1 - I know he's outstanding but I actually don't think I've gone against him much at D3.  I also think tarvolon is really, really good although his luck in Rupp where I play him hasn't been that great.

cool idea to consider and aspire to being one of the best coaches across all worlds…. I definitely consider myself a few notches below the elite guys.

My luck seems to have been concentrated in Wooden and Crum. All eight of my D3 titles have come from those two worlds, and none from my other D3 teams (Dallas/Rupp and Shenandoah/Smith, although I do have a few CG losses between the two). Honestly, after that ridiculous run I had at Maryville, I would say Shenandoah has been my best collection of dominant teams, but they just can't seem to get it done come tourney time. Really going through a down stretch at Maryville right now--capturing the magic from my 103-2 stretch is not going to happen again, but we haven't even been top ten quality in 3-4 seasons now. Just had trouble finding quality recruits in the area lately. 

Anyways, I've only run across you (at the D3 level) in Rupp, but based on Millsaps, I'd have you in the elite category. jsajsa is at the top, and I'd probably have you and pepwaves #2 and #3 in some order. I didn't start running into dgravs regularly until a few seasons ago, but he's also put together an elite resume in Smith and Rupp. Actually, looking back at that, I think I might have to move him up to #2. I'm just biased by not having seen him a lot, but the dude just wins. Feel weird voting for myself, but I could maybe slot in at #5. I haven't been dominant outside of that one stretch in Crum, but I can usually be in the mix pretty consistently. 

1. jsajsa
2. dgravs
3. pepwaves
4. brianxavier
5. tarvolon

The rest of the coaches are good, but I don't know enough about them to put them over some other coaches who haven't made the list (shaf comes to mind after his recent performance at La Grange in Smith--don't know how his resume is elsewhere)
6/28/2015 5:38 PM
All great coaches with great resumes. I don't think championships tell the whole story. Someone mentioned that a coach that is competitive for two years and that doesn't make the post season for 2 seasons probably shouldn't be considered. I agree wit that. Staying with that same line of thinking, mfnmyers has dominant teams but he runs a gimmick. His teams routinely have ath and def ratings in the 70s, which is pretty amazing for DIII. However, on the flip side of that it is also not uncommon that the best ball handler and passer on his team is in the 20s or 30s. With all due respect because I used to hate playing him the short time I was in crum, his teams don't really know how to play basketball. They can't handle the ball, pass the ball, or even shoot the ball. They are just way more athletic and better defenders than his competition.

He is a great coach and great at how he wins but he falls just short of this list as an all around coach
6/28/2015 5:51 PM
D3 titles in the last ten seasons (I only counted current teams, so if anyone has moved up lately or has an alias, you got snubbed): 

jsajsa: 4 (three teams)
pepwaves: 4 (two teams)
tarvolon: 7 (four teams)
brianxavier: 2 (one team)
carlbuzz: 3 (four teams)
dgravs: 8 (three teams--not counting teams taken over in the last three seasons)
ggallagh: 0 (two teams)
jdno: 0 (two teams)
worldofnoah: 3 (one team)
mfnmyers: 7 (eight teams)

Ranking in titles per team in the last 10 seasons (coaches in this poll only. if anyone else would like to throw their number in, go ahead): 

1. worldofnoah: 3.0
2. dgravs: 2.67
3. pepwaves: 2.0
3. brianxavier: 2.0
5. tarvolon: 1.75
6. jsajsa: 1.33
7. mfnmyers: 0.88
8. carlbuzz: 0.75
9. ggallagh: 0.0
9. jdno: 0.0

So this measure isn't toooo far off what I went for based on my subjective experience with the coaches on this list. worldofnoah only has one team, and he's in a world I'm not in, so no surprise I don't know him. He's #1 by this measure, but I'm inclined not to rank him #1 overall because he's only done it with one team. Plenty of the coaches on the list have had stretches like he has, just not in every world we're in. I'd have to wait to see him in other worlds before I crown him. 

jsajsa is obviously getting tons of respect for longevity, but his most dominant stretch (at Delaware Valley in Crum) is outside the 10 season window. He's definitely still one of the elites though, even if dgravs has been better recently. dgravs makes a very strong case for #1. And I am pretty happy with my subjective top five of me, jsajsa, pep, brian, and dgravs
6/28/2015 5:55 PM
Posted by milwood on 6/28/2015 5:51:00 PM (view original):
All great coaches with great resumes. I don't think championships tell the whole story. Someone mentioned that a coach that is competitive for two years and that doesn't make the post season for 2 seasons probably shouldn't be considered. I agree wit that. Staying with that same line of thinking, mfnmyers has dominant teams but he runs a gimmick. His teams routinely have ath and def ratings in the 70s, which is pretty amazing for DIII. However, on the flip side of that it is also not uncommon that the best ball handler and passer on his team is in the 20s or 30s. With all due respect because I used to hate playing him the short time I was in crum, his teams don't really know how to play basketball. They can't handle the ball, pass the ball, or even shoot the ball. They are just way more athletic and better defenders than his competition.

He is a great coach and great at how he wins but he falls just short of this list as an all around coach
yeah, playing Dickinson in Crum drove me crazy, because mfnmyers has figured out how to win in HD, but it's a method that absolutely should not work, if the game were well-balanced. So fair play for figuring out how to win, but it does give me a bias against putting him too high on the list. 
6/28/2015 5:57 PM
123456 Next ▸
Top D3 coach POLL VOTE AWAY!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.