whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

shawnfucious likes to argue, thinks he is right about everything he says, but sometimes, you have to debate stuff with an open mind. I hope he joins CVAC in Phelan DII. We want him there.
8/19/2015 10:27 AM
#133032 Status: In Progress - In Progress
Date User
8/12/2015 4:47 PM therewas47
Provide a new mirror site please. No alternatives work. I've been a customer for nearly 7 years and will leave once my seasons are done if this is not resolved.
8/13/2015 9:50 AM Customer Support
Hi therewas47,

We have recently merged all of our Domains into http://www.whatifsports.com in order to improve the security of the site.

Please review Knowledge Base Article 862 for additional information.

Thank you.
8/13/2015 9:53 AM therewas47
Thanks! You've just lost a loyal customer.
8/19/2015 11:24 AM Customer Support
Our initial plan to work around workplace filtering of our site hasn't panned out. The good news is that we're working on getting the www.wisjournal.com mirror site back up. We don't have a definite timetable yet, but we're hoping it won't be too long. We'll let you know when that's available again.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your patience in the meantime.
8/19/2015 12:11 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/18/2015 11:10:00 PM (view original):
i honestly dont think the guy is that bad, he isn't really picking fights with people, getting into the theater of the absurd, calling names, bashing minority groups, etc... i just think hes a little closed minded, assuming people using HD at work are abusing the privilege (maybe its 5m during lunch), and doesn't realize how that comes off. i could see him having a reasonable conversation about something else...
No assumption is made. If you have permission from thd appropriate authority, you are free to use the device or connection. If not, then you are stealing.

I will not apologize for believing stealing is wrong, and if that "comes off" in any particular way to you, it "comes off" to me as if you think stealing is acceptable.
8/19/2015 2:42 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/18/2015 11:52:00 PM (view original):
Him suggesting nachopuzzle was/is jealous of him put me over the top.  Nach is really a stand-up dude and we've discussed this situation and his feelings about shawnfucious...I think they're quite valid.  The guy seems like a chooch of a boss, just saying.
I suggested he is jealous of my employees, a reasonable idea given his statement. There was no reason for him to say what he did otherwise.

It is reasonable you are similar in that way, given you last statement.
8/19/2015 2:46 PM
"stealing" can be an exaggeration.  Might be true in some sense for folks who are paid by the hour - as opposed to folks who are paid by what the work completed.  Might for sure be true in some contexts

One can argue that doing a workaround without approval is a violation of rules, but hard to get to "stealing" for folks in certain work arrangements.

There also is a question in many contexts of what constitutes approval - some places have a stated policy but nudge and wink and are fine with workarounds.   Different contexts in different workplaces.

8/19/2015 2:58 PM
Posted by shawnfucious on 8/19/2015 2:42:00 PM (view original):
i honestly dont think the guy is that bad, he isn't really picking fights with people, getting into the theater of the absurd, calling names, bashing minority groups, etc... i just think hes a little closed minded, assuming people using HD at work are abusing the privilege (maybe its 5m during lunch), and doesn't realize how that comes off. i could see him having a reasonable conversation about something else...
No assumption is made. If you have permission from thd appropriate authority, you are free to use the device or connection. If not, then you are stealing.

I will not apologize for believing stealing is wrong, and if that "comes off" in any particular way to you, it "comes off" to me as if you think stealing is acceptable.
stealing? you are overreaching now... you have completely lost it... nobody is saying stealing is ok. if you are on break, are you allow to use the company washroom? i sure think so. can you use company grounds for your smoke break? yup. tell me how those things are different.

it doesn't affect the above, but our work place has a very flexible, employee-friendly culture. some employees work from home, some work strange hours, some have arrangements where they take off for an hour during the school yearto get their kids and make up the time. there is no explicit policy about using your computer on break, but if one of my employees asked me, i'd certainly allow it. im sure the rest of the managers in development would do the same. on the flip side, i run the systems / data center group. off hour work is abundant, and my guys have a great attitude about it. it goes both ways. i have a guy who takes smoke breaks maybe 6 times a day, it is a little excessive - but he also works multiple times a week either at night or on the weekend, doing releases or dealing with problems. a while back we gave him a huge bonus because he had to put in a few hundred off hours to meet a major objective. maybe you work at some big corporate shop where the bean counters are worried about 5 minutes of CPU usage on a company device. we aren't, and a lot of other companies aren't either - i guess it comes down to where you stand on the big picture. to suggest, without even the slightest hint of awareness about the company culture at the places other folks are working, that using your computer on break is stealing - its just incredibly obtuse. you know nothing of their situation, who are you to pass judgement?
8/19/2015 3:57 PM
shawnfucious loves TPS reports.  He also loves meetings about nothing and has employees who have invented things such as "Jump to Conclusions" mats.  Either that, or he owns a restaurant where people are asked to wear a whole lot of flair, and those quarterly meetings are all about discussing that flair.

On another note, I too got the message from CS saying they are working on getting www.wisjournal.com back up for those of us who like to take the occasional break from our 55+ hour work weeks to decompress for 5 minutes or so.

8/19/2015 9:22 PM
Says here you been missing a lot of work....I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob
8/19/2015 10:05 PM
I think shawnfucious is the CEO at Kramerica Industries
8/19/2015 10:17 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 8/19/2015 2:58:00 PM (view original):
"stealing" can be an exaggeration.  Might be true in some sense for folks who are paid by the hour - as opposed to folks who are paid by what the work completed.  Might for sure be true in some contexts

One can argue that doing a workaround without approval is a violation of rules, but hard to get to "stealing" for folks in certain work arrangements.

There also is a question in many contexts of what constitutes approval - some places have a stated policy but nudge and wink and are fine with workarounds.   Different contexts in different workplaces.

There is no such thing as an exaggeration when it comes to stealing.

One either steals something or one does not. Any attempt to classify something as "partially" stolen or "not technically" stolen is simply attempt to justify stealing.

No matter how you are paid, if you are using someone's equipment/connection in a way they do not permit, you are stealing from them.

It is not hard to get to stealing at all - it's a simple fact.

Work arrangements are irrelevant unless they include permission to use the equipment/connection for that purpose, which means it is no longer stealing.

A stated policy isn't a policy if it isn't practiced. In my experience when a stated policy is violated by those who "nudge and wink and are fine with workarounds", it is those latter folks who are allowing policy violations to take place. Someone set the policy for a reason. Rather than violating it, the proper "workaround" is to discuss it and see if it can be changed.
8/19/2015 11:00 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/19/2015 3:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 8/19/2015 2:42:00 PM (view original):

stealing? you are overreaching now... you have completely lost it... nobody is saying stealing is ok. if you are on break, are you allow to use the company washroom? i sure think so. can you use company grounds for your smoke break? yup. tell me how those things are different.

it doesn't affect the above, but our work place has a very flexible, employee-friendly culture. some employees work from home, some work strange hours, some have arrangements where they take off for an hour during the school yearto get their kids and make up the time. there is no explicit policy about using your computer on break, but if one of my employees asked me, i'd certainly allow it. im sure the rest of the managers in development would do the same. on the flip side, i run the systems / data center group. off hour work is abundant, and my guys have a great attitude about it. it goes both ways. i have a guy who takes smoke breaks maybe 6 times a day, it is a little excessive - but he also works multiple times a week either at night or on the weekend, doing releases or dealing with problems. a while back we gave him a huge bonus because he had to put in a few hundred off hours to meet a major objective. maybe you work at some big corporate shop where the bean counters are worried about 5 minutes of CPU usage on a company device. we aren't, and a lot of other companies aren't either - i guess it comes down to where you stand on the big picture. to suggest, without even the slightest hint of awareness about the company culture at the places other folks are working, that using your computer on break is stealing - its just incredibly obtuse. you know nothing of their situation, who are you to pass judgement?
The concept is about honoring the use of equipment and connections within the guidelines established by those who are responsible for those things, and that many of the "workarounds" discussed here are forms of stealing if they aren't permitted.

Using your washroom and smoke break examples, if there were policies in place stating you could not use the washroom on breaks or could not smoke on company grounds and you decided to do so anyway as a "workaround" then it is the same type of situation.

I do not know any more about your situation than you tell me, but in most cases there is a policy in place for use of workplace computers. Often times employees aren't aware of it and think no official policy exists. It's always best to check to be sure.

It is not about "five minutes of CPU usage on a company device". It is about the fact that stealing is stealing.

Company culture only matters if the company gives permission to use the equipment/connection for the purposes of, in this instance, playing HD or other WIS games. If the company does not give permission to do that, it's stealing regardless of culture.

That's really the heart of the matter: Do you have permission to do what you are doing with company equipment/connections and/or on company time?

The fact is it's not situational at all. It's very black and white with the answer to the question directly above, and the rest is all essentially meaningless background noise.

8/19/2015 11:10 PM
You must have really high turnover...what kind of business do you "own"?
8/19/2015 11:19 PM
I guess I've been lucky enough to work for companies that didn't mind one using their machine or connection for personal business on our break or lunch. Did they have security software? Yes but it was to protect them from attacks not to keep employees off the computer. Guess I was lucky to have that boss. But by your guidelines and by your own admission earlier to taking personal phone calls during work time wouldn't that also be stealing (or at the very least not being 100% productive for the work your getting paid for). Unless of course you keep your time for said phone calls and stay after to make that time up. Which I'm sure you do.
8/20/2015 12:52 AM
when someone says that rules are black and white, that any violation is a serious violation and that every variation is blasphemy, ooops,I mean stealing, one starts to understand his perspective.
8/20/2015 1:54 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/19/2015 11:19:00 PM (view original):
You must have really high turnover...what kind of business do you "own"?
I'm guessing he's something like the VP of a major bank.
8/20/2015 4:02 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...25 Next ▸
whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.