whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

The attitudes displayed by some posters are indicative of the work ethic problem in America, yes - but it's far worse than that.

People have said Americans spend more than other countries in terms of total work hours. I'm not sure I believe that, but even if it's true, I would counter that it would be out of necessity. After all, with so many Americans wasting company time by working at less than 100 percent effort or even stealing by using equipment/connections in ways the company doesn't permit, it's no wonder so much extra effort would be needed.

I find it hard to believe America is so messed up there are some hard working people who have to look for work for a long time, yet there are people with these attitudes who already have jobs, many that are "good" jobs.

I always think about how many people would love to have my job and ask why I am the one who has it and should continue to have it. If the answer is anything less than "because I work harder than they would" then I should resign. America would be a much better place if all took such an attitude.

That whole statement is in fact your OPINION. Not fact, Where is the proof other than you just saying so. I for one don't know anybody that is out of work wishing they had your awesome job. All my friends work and It would be MY OPINION that they give 100% "while they are working". As most people do give 100% while they are working. Are they working 100% of the time? probably not and before you say you do you have already said your allowed to take personal phone calls. Well then your not working 100% of the time and you in fact are getting paid to not work while on the phone.
We get it everything you say is fact, why because you said it. And we get that you have this awesome job "that most people would want". Again your opinion because you have know idea what people want. Because if someone truly wanted it bad enough they would have it. That is a FACT.
9/2/2015 8:17 AM
Shawn- how much exposure do you have to other cultures? How do you assess the work ethic of people who work in Europe or Asia? What are your personal experiences that have generated your opinion?
9/2/2015 1:12 PM
Posted by therewas47 on 9/2/2015 7:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/2/2015 7:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/1/2015 10:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/1/2015 6:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/1/2015 2:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/1/2015 9:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/1/2015 4:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 8/31/2015 10:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 8/30/2015 8:38:00 PM (view original):
Truth? Based upon what?
What part of truth don't you understand? I ask in all sincerity.

Can you provide some data or examples from personal experience that would make your statement "the truth" rather than opinion?

Basically prove that things like surfing the Internet on your break, having social conversations at work, etc (and all things discussed in this thread that people find to be "normal" behavior) occur ONLY in America but not in Canada, Mexico or any country in Europe.
Please read the thread. What you ask has already been done.

I never said those things only occur in America.

You said lack of work ethic is one of the reasons America is in a state of decline. I don't see where you supported this with any solid facts or data. Maybe you can link me to it?
Yes, and that was followed with other things. Again, please read the thread.
I did. Twice. I couldn't find anything. Unless you're saying that the responses frim other posters on this thread are proof that the work ethic in America is bad?
The attitudes displayed by some posters are indicative of the work ethic problem in America, yes - but it's far worse than that.

People have said Americans spend more than other countries in terms of total work hours. I'm not sure I believe that, but even if it's true, I would counter that it would be out of necessity. After all, with so many Americans wasting company time by working at less than 100 percent effort or even stealing by using equipment/connections in ways the company doesn't permit, it's no wonder so much extra effort would be needed.

I find it hard to believe America is so messed up there are some hard working people who have to look  for work for a long time, yet there are people with these attitudes who already have jobs, many that are "good" jobs. 

I always think about how many people would love to have my job and ask why I am the one who has it and should continue to have it. If the answer is anything less than "because I work harder than they would" then I should resign. America would be a much better place if all took such an attitude.
Have you ever been outside the United States? Much of the world has nap time in the middle of the day.
Did it occur to you such things can add to productivity?

If you make more efficient use of time you can do that.
9/2/2015 1:34 PM
Posted by cmac4567 on 9/2/2015 8:18:00 AM (view original):

I find it hard to believe America is so messed up there are some hard working people who have to look for work for a long time, yet there are people with these attitudes who already have jobs, many that are "good" jobs.

That whole statement is in fact your OPINION. Not fact, Where is the proof other than you just saying so. I for one don't know anybody that is out of work wishing they had your awesome job. All my friends work and It would be MY OPINION that they give 100% "while they are working". As most people do give 100% while they are working. Are they working 100% of the time? probably not and before you say you do you have already said your allowed to take personal phone calls. Well then your not working 100% of the time and you in fact are getting paid to not work while on the phone.
We get it everything you say is fact, why because you said it. And we get that you have this awesome job "that most people would want". Again your opinion because you have know idea what people want. Because if someone truly wanted it bad enough they would have it. That is a FACT.
It is all observation based upon fact.

Tell me how You are able to know your friends work to 100 percent. Most people do not do so, evident in this post alone based on the reaction to my statements.

Your last statement is patently false. If true, most people would be better than they are. It is not easy to do as you seem to suggest.

I know what makes logical sense. Some people are not logical. So be it.

You apparently know no onewho is outof work, or only those who do not wish to work.
9/2/2015 1:44 PM
What observation? Do you frequently have the opportunity to observe other people (other than your Co-workers) in the 100's if not 1000's of other fields of business while they are working? You have yet to state any facts other it's your observation or because you said so.

I believe I said I didn't know anybody out of work but maybe it didn't come acrossed as so. As fir how do I know they give 100% because they said so. .....same as you. Besides I said it was my opinion they do, not a fact as you suggest.

As far as your job I have no idea what you do and in no way made mention of the ease or difficulty of your job. Only that if someone wants something bad enough they will get it, otherwise they really didn't want it bad enough wouldn't you say.
9/2/2015 2:30 PM
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/2/2015 1:34:00 PM (view original):
Truth? Based upon what?

Can you provide some data or examples from personal experience that would make your statement "the truth" rather than opinion?

Basically prove that things like surfing the Internet on your break, having social conversations at work, etc (and all things discussed in this thread that people find to be "normal" behavior) occur ONLY in America but not in Canada, Mexico or any country in Europe.

You said lack of work ethic is one of the reasons America is in a state of decline. I don't see where you supported this with any solid facts or data. Maybe you can link me to it?
I did. Twice. I couldn't find anything. Unless you're saying that the responses frim other posters on this thread are proof that the work ethic in America is bad?

I find it hard to believe America is so messed up there are some hard working people who have to look  for work for a long time, yet there are people with these attitudes who already have jobs, many that are "good" jobs. 

Have you ever been outside the United States? Much of the world has nap time in the middle of the day.

Yes it did because A) im smarter than you and B) im better than you.  How do I know this?  Because I didnt waste two weeks responding with my idiotic opinions to what everyone said to me and I was just displaying how you have no perspective.  Now I have to get back to work because my job is super important and if it isnt fulfilled everything will go to waste.  See ya.  
9/2/2015 4:51 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 9/1/2015 8:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/1/2015 6:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by fd343ny on 9/1/2015 4:36:00 PM (view original):
so, what would people think if an employee declined to use the company email system and instead handled work emails on a separate server outside the control of the company?
In my company it can't be done. You could pretend maybe but you couldn't get your work email while you were at work and that could be a problem.
if it could be done despite policy to the contrary, is it wrong?
yes. its wrong, but how wrong is it? it depends. to a security expert, its pretty bad. but if you are a reasonably normal person who is generally oblivious to the security issues surrounding the internet, its probably not something you even really think about. 

also, its often the case that policies are unclear - as is the case in the situation you are referencing, IMO. i think the overall govt internet security posture borders on criminally negligent, and i am not a hillary supporter, but i also think context is extremely relevant in just about every situation. the context is one where people and the govt are extremely lax on internet security, where previous people in the same position did the same thing (i sure do respect colin powell - poor guy really got the **** end of the stick - that is politics... but i digress). was it wrong? absolutely. i don't think its a gray area. everyone does things that are wrong though. how wrong was it? i mean, as a guy who does engage pretty heavily in internet security... its pretty abhorrent. but the stuff that happens every day all over america, from the household, to the fortune 500 corporations, to the federal government - is pretty abhorrent (especially the federal government). but when you compare something like a fairly un-technical person, using a private email account, to something like a major corporation internet connecting freaking millions of engines in their cars... which is one of the stupidest things an executive team could ever do... its like the difference between hunting when you are technically a felon and going ape **** and opening fire killing 20 people. or smoking a joint versus trafficking heroin.

the bottom line is, people are woefully uneducated about the critical nature of internet security. when you are in a position like secretary of state, you should be paying people to tell you how important it is, she should have know, but our politicians are generally so incompetent, its hard for me to fault someone for incompetence more than i fault them all for incompetence. and the government across the board pretty much ignores internet security (its starting to change, but thats pretty recent). was she wrong? no doubt. so are the rest of them. i really think the issue is overblown - in terms of the focus on hillary. the focus should be about how the government as a whole is dangerously negligent in their response to internet security. lives are at stake, its really completely ridiculous. people will have to die before they wake up - and still, that may not do it. but if a thousand jeep owners die tomorrow, it will - and i hate to say it - it would almost be in the public interest for something like that to happen, to raise awareness, before its a nuclear plant going... nuclear, or weapon systems being compromised by hackers, or the internet as a whole being brought to its knees, which in our day and age - with the reliance on the internet for so much of the back end logistics that make this country and this economy work - could be catastrophic. 
9/2/2015 7:53 PM
Posted by cmac4567 on 9/2/2015 2:30:00 PM (view original):
What observation? Do you frequently have the opportunity to observe other people (other than your Co-workers) in the 100's if not 1000's of other fields of business while they are working? You have yet to state any facts other it's your observation or because you said so.

I believe I said I didn't know anybody out of work but maybe it didn't come acrossed as so. As fir how do I know they give 100% because they said so. .....same as you. Besides I said it was my opinion they do, not a fact as you suggest.

As far as your job I have no idea what you do and in no way made mention of the ease or difficulty of your job. Only that if someone wants something bad enough they will get it, otherwise they really didn't want it bad enough wouldn't you say.
Observation meaning I draw conclusions from the facts, not by observing people.

Every opinion I've given has been based upon facts. You can ignore them or claim ignorance all you want.  I'm not playing that game.

You say you believe those who claim to give 100 percent. Then you should by the same token believe the evidence in this thread, which is several people claiming that not only do they not give 100 percent, but that such is impossible for them.

I know many people would love to have my job. If you have a good or even a decent job, many would probably love to have yours too. All the more reason we should both be giving 100 percent of our effort to our jobs.

I could not possibly disagree more with your last statement.  Your statement is downright absurd.

"If someone wants something bad enough they will get it"? Are you trying for a laugh or is that serious? I ask because it's that ridiculous.

First, because it doesn't work logically. I might want to fly like a bird and want it quite badly, but it doesn't mean if I flap my arms I'm going to take flight.

Second, because it doesn't work functionally. Someone may want a certain job or income level or anything really, and they may or may not get it due to a number of factors, many of which are largely or entirely out of their control.  That doesn't mean they didn't want it badly - sometimes the cards just don't fall your way. Maybe you try again, maybe you try for something else.
9/2/2015 10:23 PM
Posted by therewas47 on 9/2/2015 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/2/2015 1:34:00 PM (view original):
Truth? Based upon what?

Yes it did because A) im smarter than you and B) im better than you.  How do I know this?  Because I didnt waste two weeks responding with my idiotic opinions to what everyone said to me and I was just displaying how you have no perspective.  Now I have to get back to work because my job is super important and if it isnt fulfilled everything will go to waste.  See ya.  
I have a great perspective on the situation, and you did nothing to remotely challenge that notion.

But by all means, go back to telling yourself how smart and great you are.

9/2/2015 10:26 PM
The quoting is getting ridiculous...c'mon guys lol
9/2/2015 10:52 PM
Seems like there would be much better way to arrange the quotes so we don't end up with those crazy looks colums. That would be a good update for the users that frequent the boards.
9/2/2015 11:44 PM
Yeah, the quotes. The quotes.
9/3/2015 7:41 AM
I just took a look at your team shawn.  You have a number of guys whose Work Ethic is less than 100 - better cut them fast - they are part of what is wrong with America, right?

9/3/2015 8:18 AM
Yeah seriously! 

OBVIOUSLY this guy-

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=3133773

Is WAAAY better than this guy-

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=6663&pid=3004263

Look what a hard worker he is. Elliott is putting in a extra hours, no breaks, no internet usage while Stickley over here is probably taking lunch breaks and playing internet games for 20 minutes every day. What a bum.
9/3/2015 8:39 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 9/3/2015 8:18:00 AM (view original):
I just took a look at your team shawn.  You have a number of guys whose Work Ethic is less than 100 - better cut them fast - they are part of what is wrong with America, right?

This game has no bearing on that topic.
9/3/2015 1:09 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...25 Next ▸
whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.