whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

Posted by shawnfucious on 9/6/2015 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by scaturo on 9/6/2015 10:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/6/2015 8:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/5/2015 3:44:00 PM (view original):
I'd take lazy Randy Moss over Tebow if I was building a team. He could have been the best WR of all time if his work ethic was better but hes still a hall of famer. So yes you can be great without having the best work ethic
I would never want the real Randy Moss near any team I managed. On WIS, in fantasy football, on a video game, sure - because that Randy Moss doesn't have the real one's horrible attitude.

Moss played when he wanted to and was a disruptive oaf when he didn't want to play. As you said, he could have been the best of all time.

He is the single biggest reason the 07 Patriots were so dominant. It wasn't Tom Brady, the glory hog QB who gets all the credit. Clearly Brady has played there many seasons and while the team has often been good they were never THAT good.

You can have Randy Moss to build a team. Good luck when he decides he doesn't want to play - which will be much of the time if history is any judge.
I've coached a ton of "Randy Moss" type kids.......if you're goal is to win,  you'd be an idiot to not take a player with exceptional talent.....Have you ever coached a team shawn?  I would be surprised if anyone with coaching experience wouldn't take a player who was always the best player on the field.....
Players with exceptional talent don't help you win when they don't work hard, disrupt the chemistry of your team, and generally waste everyone's time with their antics.

Honestly, I'd rather lose with players who work hard than win with the best player on the field who is a constant source of disruption. Sometimes the cost of a victory simply isn't worth the price.

They most certainly do!  In fact, when kids don't practice hard but play well (and aren't jerks) they're called "gamers"....I would go  as far to say that kids who try there hardest in practice are few and far between.....and often trying hard isn't enough to overcome superior athletic ability.
9/6/2015 6:16 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 9/6/2015 6:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/6/2015 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by scaturo on 9/6/2015 10:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/6/2015 8:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 9/5/2015 3:44:00 PM (view original):
I'd take lazy Randy Moss over Tebow if I was building a team. He could have been the best WR of all time if his work ethic was better but hes still a hall of famer. So yes you can be great without having the best work ethic
I would never want the real Randy Moss near any team I managed. On WIS, in fantasy football, on a video game, sure - because that Randy Moss doesn't have the real one's horrible attitude.

Moss played when he wanted to and was a disruptive oaf when he didn't want to play. As you said, he could have been the best of all time.

He is the single biggest reason the 07 Patriots were so dominant. It wasn't Tom Brady, the glory hog QB who gets all the credit. Clearly Brady has played there many seasons and while the team has often been good they were never THAT good.

You can have Randy Moss to build a team. Good luck when he decides he doesn't want to play - which will be much of the time if history is any judge.
I've coached a ton of "Randy Moss" type kids.......if you're goal is to win,  you'd be an idiot to not take a player with exceptional talent.....Have you ever coached a team shawn?  I would be surprised if anyone with coaching experience wouldn't take a player who was always the best player on the field.....
Players with exceptional talent don't help you win when they don't work hard, disrupt the chemistry of your team, and generally waste everyone's time with their antics.

Honestly, I'd rather lose with players who work hard than win with the best player on the field who is a constant source of disruption. Sometimes the cost of a victory simply isn't worth the price.

They most certainly do!  In fact, when kids don't practice hard but play well (and aren't jerks) they're called "gamers"....I would go  as far to say that kids who try there hardest in practice are few and far between.....and often trying hard isn't enough to overcome superior athletic ability.
You use the term kids, so I'm going to use that as well and work with the idea that we are discussion young people who both desire and need the influence of positive adults teaching life lessons.

Kids all practice hard if you teach them it is to be expected and offer the right incentives.

A kid who deliberately didn't practice hard wouldn't get a chance to play well for me. The "gamer" would find himself sitting on the bench until he decided to give a better effort.

When you do that, other kids respect it. They know even the "best" player can't get away with giving the coach a hard time or being lazy, so they don't do it either.

Again, part of what is wrong with America. Kids get the message they can slack off in practice and then be a "gamer" and that's okay, then they also think that's okay in other areas of life, and this is part of why the work ethic is abysmal.

Instead, if we teach kids they have to work to get what they want (in this example, practice hard to get to play) then they learn valuable life lessons which translate to other areas.

If kids who try the hardest in practice are "few and far between" then I would suggest the coach should give more incentives to try harder in practice.

Superior athletic ability is never an excuse to be lazy. I would not hesitate to bench the most athletic kid in the world if he thought that his athleticism was an excuse to be lazy. I'd rather him learn the lesson to work harder and be the best he can be, even if it is the difference between winning and losing in a game that is rather meaningless in the grand scheme of life.
9/7/2015 9:11 AM
Just win, baby!
9/7/2015 11:37 AM
Only Sith Lords speak in absolutes....
9/7/2015 12:45 PM
Superior athletic ability + lazyness = bust. The player will sometimes bust in college, sometimes in high school, and the best athlètes of them all will bust in the NFL, NBA ... When I read comments like Randy Moss could have been lazy.... He sure was not for a long time, otherwise he would never have developed the kind of talent he has. Raw skills does not mean you will make it. To be great, you need raw skills + work + work + brain.
9/7/2015 1:00 PM
Dunno about the last being necessary. It assuredly helps, but I've seen great players that could be described as smart only charitably.

You need 'three out of four'
9/7/2015 1:25 PM
Posted by zorzii on 9/7/2015 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Superior athletic ability + lazyness = bust. The player will sometimes bust in college, sometimes in high school, and the best athlètes of them all will bust in the NFL, NBA ... When I read comments like Randy Moss could have been lazy.... He sure was not for a long time, otherwise he would never have developed the kind of talent he has. Raw skills does not mean you will make it. To be great, you need raw skills + work + work + brain.
Randy Moss was absolutely lazy at times. If he had never been lazy, barring injury or other horrible circumstance, he would have been the best to ever play the game.

He is the perfect example of how work ethic changes everything (and I don't mean HD work ethic - I mean real life work ethic).

When Moss was lazy, he wasn't much of anything. When he worked hard, he dominated.

9/7/2015 5:34 PM
There is a big difference between being "lazy", having an average work ethic, having a good work ethic and having a "perfect" work ethic.
9/7/2015 10:15 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 9/7/2015 12:45:00 PM (view original):
I never thought I'd see the day were you plagiarized me...see page 15.
9/8/2015 1:03 AM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 9/8/2015 1:03:00 AM (view original):
Damn....I got beat to a quote AND got it wrong.
9/8/2015 5:32 AM
Posted by scaturo on 9/7/2015 10:15:00 PM (view original):
There is a big difference between being "lazy", having an average work ethic, having a good work ethic and having a "perfect" work ethic.
The differences are fairly inconsequential.

An "average" work ethic is only good enough if your goal is to be average.
9/8/2015 9:44 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 9/8/2015 1:03:00 AM (view original):
Do or do not. There is no try.

I like that one better, especially here, since it also speaks in absolutes yet comes from the antithesis of the Sith Lord...

9/8/2015 9:45 PM
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/8/2015 9:44:00 PM (view original):

Sir, it is obvious to me you have never coached.....the truths you are spouting are simply neither realistic nor true.
9/8/2015 10:08 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 9/8/2015 10:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/8/2015 9:44:00 PM (view original):

Sir, it is obvious to me you have never coached.....the truths you are spouting are simply neither realistic nor true.
I have coached, and the things I've stated are simple truths and are quite realistic.  I know because I've seen them function, in various leadership areas including both coaching and a professional work environment.

Just because you haven't personally tried or witnessed something doesn't make it unrealistic or untrue.

Also, you should probably re-evaluate what makes you believe something is "obvious" after jumping to such an incorrect conclusion here.

9/9/2015 7:18 AM
shawn, have you been reading your Ayn Rand lately? If not, go for it. Right up your alley. 
9/9/2015 7:49 AM
◂ Prev 1...22|23|24|25 Next ▸
whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.