whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

Posted by shawnfucious on 9/9/2015 7:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 9/8/2015 10:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shawnfucious on 9/8/2015 9:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by scaturo on 9/7/2015 10:15:00 PM (view original):
There is a big difference between being "lazy", having an average work ethic, having a good work ethic and having a "perfect" work ethic.
The differences are fairly inconsequential.

An "average" work ethic is only good enough if your goal is to be average.
Sir, it is obvious to me you have never coached.....the truths you are spouting are simply neither realistic nor true.
I have coached, and the things I've stated are simple truths and are quite realistic.  I know because I've seen them function, in various leadership areas including both coaching and a professional work environment.

Just because you haven't personally tried or witnessed something doesn't make it unrealistic or untrue.

Also, you should probably re-evaluate what makes you believe something is "obvious" after jumping to such an incorrect conclusion here.

Quite frankly, I don't believe you.
9/9/2015 2:37 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 9/9/2015 2:37:00 PM (view original):
There is a big difference between being "lazy", having an average work ethic, having a good work ethic and having a "perfect" work ethic.

Sir, it is obvious to me you have never coached.....the truths you are spouting are simply neither realistic nor true.
I have coached, and the things I've stated are simple truths and are quite realistic.  I know because I've seen them function, in various leadership areas including both coaching and a professional work environment.

Just because you haven't personally tried or witnessed something doesn't make it unrealistic or untrue.

Also, you should probably re-evaluate what makes you believe something is "obvious" after jumping to such an incorrect conclusion here.

you and me both, buddy
9/9/2015 2:42 PM
I'll third that motion.
9/9/2015 2:46 PM
I coached a high school girls Powder Puff football team when I was 17. Does that count as coaching?
9/9/2015 3:47 PM
Also, I'd like to revisit Shawn's comment "I'd rather lose with players who work hard". Can you imagine if you're interviewing for a head coaching job and said that?

"Well, we're not going to win very much but don't worry, we're going to work REALLY hard."

Wonder how many winless seasons you'd make it before you got canned.
9/9/2015 3:50 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/opinion/sunday/adam-grant-friends-at-work-not-so-much.html?_r=0

"The sociologist Max Weber classically argued that the Protestant Reformation had a peculiar effect on American work. At the dawn of the Protestant Reformation, Martin Luther preached that hard work in any occupation was a meaningful duty — a calling from God. John Calvin took this idea a step further, arguing that people should avoid socializing while working, as attention to relationships and emotions would distract them from productively fulfilling God’s will. Over the generations, these Calvinist teachings influenced Protestants, whocame to view social considerations as inappropriate and inefficient in the workplace. Protestant men were especially susceptible, as they were expected and socialized to focus on productivity. For much of the 20th century, American workplaces were largely designed by Protestant men."

9/9/2015 9:45 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 9/9/2015 9:45:00 PM (view original):
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/opinion/sunday/adam-grant-friends-at-work-not-so-much.html?_r=0

"The sociologist Max Weber classically argued that the Protestant Reformation had a peculiar effect on American work. At the dawn of the Protestant Reformation, Martin Luther preached that hard work in any occupation was a meaningful duty — a calling from God. John Calvin took this idea a step further, arguing that people should avoid socializing while working, as attention to relationships and emotions would distract them from productively fulfilling God’s will. Over the generations, these Calvinist teachings influenced Protestants, whocame to view social considerations as inappropriate and inefficient in the workplace. Protestant men were especially susceptible, as they were expected and socialized to focus on productivity. For much of the 20th century, American workplaces were largely designed by Protestant men."

...granted all of that was and is very true...but I think Weber would claim that, although the "protestant work ethic" is a large part of the ideological framework which shaped the industrial revolution (especially as it relates to manufacturing and social productivity), today the eco-political tenets and byproducts of capitalism have clearly replace the socio-religious motivations that once existed.

....I'm sure he offers a rough date, but off the top of my head, I would guess its somewhere in the mid 19th century
9/10/2015 1:20 AM
but I want to say your post is spot-on homie, and it made me shed tear of happiness, haha
9/10/2015 1:36 AM

Quite frankly, I don't care.
9/10/2015 7:11 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/9/2015 2:42:00 PM (view original):

you and me both, buddy
Again, I don't care.

I will note it is not surprising in the least that you agree with a thought that was already stated to be wrong. You seem to take an odd pride in jumping to conclusions directly in spite of the fact that it could - and in this case, did - lead you to be incorrect.

9/10/2015 7:12 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 9/9/2015 2:46:00 PM (view original):
I'll third that motion.
I will state for the third time that I do not care.

9/10/2015 7:13 AM
Posted by Benis on 9/9/2015 3:50:00 PM (view original):
Also, I'd like to revisit Shawn's comment "I'd rather lose with players who work hard". Can you imagine if you're interviewing for a head coaching job and said that?

"Well, we're not going to win very much but don't worry, we're going to work REALLY hard."

Wonder how many winless seasons you'd make it before you got canned.
For whomever referenced thinking in absolutes, the above is your example.

When players - people in any arena, for that matter - buy in to working hard, it helps the team win. Keep in mind the goal is not to obtain terrible players who work hard, so talent is used as well. In fact, talent is maximized because of hard work.

Getting the most out of your players isn't going to lead to winless seasons.

9/10/2015 7:16 AM
admit it, at first glance you were happy to see that this thread might have beenrehashed?

...hopefully, happy enough to click on it while you were at work.
10/13/2015 8:19 PM
My first thought was "noooo not again". Been so super duper busy at work I don't even have time to hit the restroom anymore. Switched to catheter recently. Much more effiicent.
10/13/2015 9:29 PM
Before the brilliant work of Wardo, Spudhole, and Mike, we had this forum classic from none other than everyone's workplace friend, Shawn. Enjoy the memories everyone!

Woefully late +1 on the former final word on the thread by Benis.
12/26/2016 8:28 AM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25
whatif.cincinnati.com not working anymore? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.