Is this guy a superstar in DIII Topic

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=3052505

I haven't changed my plan as far as recruiting goes. But I am having my best season. He just won defensive player of the year. I think he is a superstar but I have no idea why.
8/31/2015 7:46 AM
I wouldn't say he is a superstar, his stats wouldn't even suggest that. However, he is a very solid defensive player, high ATH with DEF will do that. He is blocking 1.4 shots and averages 1 steal a game so he is very solid defensively, which is why he wont the award. For D3 a big with 89 ATH, 62 REB and 91 DEF is a great big man. 
8/31/2015 8:07 AM
I've had a guy like that.  The very high ath works wonders in D3.  And it sort of makes sense...freak athletes don't necessarily need great skills to dominate in lower tier college.
8/31/2015 9:47 AM
Not to piggyback of gvsujulius, but his stats don't even suggest that he's close to being considered a superstar.
8/31/2015 11:35 AM
I would have to agree, I think he is more of a defensive stud(DPOTY backs that up, same with Blk/stl/fouls) but as an overall player no, he has no offense besides just being more athletic, as well as being a weak rebounder forcing him to PF.  If he had 80 reb or 70+ LP then we could say he was a superstar, but when you see some other D3 players that would be superstars, he is more of a defensive ace who is a weak rebounder.
8/31/2015 12:13 PM
To me, a super player does not have to score. Kidd-Gilchrist was a freak at UK but he was not really fundamentaly sound. Mutombo was a game changer, but he could not shoot, nor post. I think at DIII , he is at least a top 10 player in the league.
8/31/2015 12:41 PM
Posted by zorzii on 8/31/2015 12:41:00 PM (view original):
To me, a super player does not have to score. Kidd-Gilchrist was a freak at UK but he was not really fundamentaly sound. Mutombo was a game changer, but he could not shoot, nor post. I think at DIII , he is at least a top 10 player in the league.
I know this is a thought experiment, and given what you said, from looking at his stats I don't think he effects the outcome of each sim enough to be considered a top 10 player in the league. Granted though you could be right considering we can't know the exact ins-and-out of the engine, but I highly doubt from what we can tell that he is truly one of those elite type players.
8/31/2015 12:48 PM
MKG isn't a superstar though.  And I freaking hate him in 2k since he destroys spacing lol.

Reynolds is great, but not Mutombo level great on defense.  If Reynolds had elite rb/sb or just one of those he would be a superstar defender.

IF we are going on ratings I'd say they're 10 better players than Reynolds as well.

Bryne(SF) at NYU
Cramer(C) at Tex Luth
Harris(PG) at Colorado
Phillips(PF) at Curry and is basically a better version of Reynolds
Doyle(C) at Keene St
McKee(C) at NYU
Lowe(C) at Drew
Keane(PG) at NYU
Hudson(C) at Ramapo
Moore(PG) at CSU Eastbay
Hamilton(PG) at Webster
Black(C) at Franklin Marshall
Hall(PG) at St. Scholastica
Sullivan(PG) at Franklin

are all players at any position that if there was a Knight D3 draft I might consider before Reynolds.  He is a top 10 player at C, but overall all, I'd have to say no.

Not bashing or anything haha, just doing a quick analysis and I would easily take him as my teams PF and to think what he could do in a system that better suited him

8/31/2015 1:01 PM
That guy isn't a superstar but I would take him on any of my D3 teams......also, his distro is to high, he really should be the third scoring option on a triangle team (or 4th if your other post player is better on O).
8/31/2015 1:51 PM
I'm surprised he's scoring as much as he is with those crappy offensive ratings. Any offensive production he's putting up is off from his athleticism alone.
8/31/2015 1:59 PM
His offensive production is really poor. He is shooting under 46% from the floor and he obviously does not take any 3s. Check out the DIII leaderboard in any world and I would bet that there are 25 (because that's all the leaderboard shows) players shooting a higher percentage from just 3-point land. The 25th guy in knight DIII is shooting 48.5% from behind the arc. This guy is not scoring efficiently.

Sure he is a great defensive player but his offense is bad and distro should be cut down. That guy should just be scoring off his offensive rebounds. He is a great player to have on your team, though. I would consider him more of a cog than a superstar.
8/31/2015 2:23 PM
Assuming you want to call Kidd-Gilchrist and Mutombo superstars, I would say they are players that everyone would want on their team.  BUT if those are your leading scorers, your team won't be a championship contender.  With just a quick look at your team, I would raise Robinson's disto a bunch.  At the end of the conference tournament he's shooting 57% and only scoring 11.5 ppg.  I guy like that at 65 ath 70+ lp and great ft for DIII, that guy needs the ball, and should in my mind easily be the leading scorer on this team.
8/31/2015 3:26 PM
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?tid=13586&pid=3077632
This guy on my team has similar stats and he's a SF your guy scored more but my guy wasn't the 1 option on my team usually 3rd.

Both players are good but I don't consider my guy to be a superstar (still waiting to recruit that guy)

edit: my guy also won DPOTY for my conference
8/31/2015 8:06 PM
I recruited this guy www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx for my Colorado (D3) squad but left a year later. He has turned into a monster shooting 65% this past season averaging 14.6 ppg. I would say he is better than the guy in question, but I don't know if he is even a superstar. 
9/1/2015 3:39 PM
I don't think you can be a defensive superstar in this game, especially in a man defense.  Great defenders are just cogs.  One of them makes a limited defense - at best you can slow down one offensive weapon.  Furthermore 1) great offense does tend to win out over great defense in this game 2) a great defender can only take one offensive player out of the game, at best, and championship-caliber teams generally have at least 2, if not 3, highly effective scorers 3) in the man, you have to win the mind game over where your opponent will start his scoring post to even put your defender on him, and perhaps most importantly, 4) most of the best and most dangerous scorers in this game are perimeter shooters.  The balance of the game is such that great perimeter players are almost always more effective/efficient scorers than great post players.  I did just have a PF win NPOY a few seasons ago in Knight, and went to the title game last season in Tark with a PF as my top scorer.  But even so, I have to admit those are unusual occurences.  And the Tark team did have 4 guys with 80+ perimeter keeping defenses honest.
9/1/2015 4:15 PM
12 Next ▸
Is this guy a superstar in DIII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.