D1 NC winning coaches Topic

I am working on some data on D1 and the coaches who do well at it. I hope to be able
to post some of it this weekend.

A question popped into my head in the initial stages of compiling this data:

Has anyone who started playing HD in 2010 or after ever won an D1 National Championship?

10/2/2015 11:25 AM
Interesting question, just clicked around to look at some of the recent winners and found--

manonde01-'10
mmharmon-'10
pcclark-'11

But that was just two worlds so they're definitely out there.  
10/2/2015 11:32 AM
i am pretty sure tianyi started in 2010 or later, i think hes retired or mostly retired now, but he could have torn it up in d1 if he stuck around (and he started to before he left).
10/2/2015 12:04 PM
Why this question Tooslim?
10/2/2015 8:23 PM
What season is that?
Do you wanna know when people started playing or when they got to d1?
10/2/2015 11:27 PM
Posted by stewdog on 10/2/2015 11:27:00 PM (view original):
What season is that?
Do you wanna know when people started playing or when they got to d1?
I was just wondering if anyone who had started playing HD in the last 5 years has broken through and won an NC in D1.

looked in one of the worlds I am competing in and looked at the top 10 ranked teams in D1 with the regular season almost over and
all of the coaches of the  top 10 teams started in 2009 or earlier.
In order by team current ranking in Wooden:
1. 2006
2. 2005
3. 2007
4. 2001
5. 2004
6. 2005
7. 2006
8. 2009
9. 2003
10. 2008

The average top 10 team has been at their current school for 37 seasons.

It appears to me that it must be a fun game if you got into it 8 to 10 years ago and secured a spot at a great team in a power 6 conference and now just kick back and recruit whoever you want, probably not pay a whole lot (if any) to play the game, and beat up on saps like me who just  started in HD two years ago and started at D1 one year ago. I'm not saying it is a bad thing at all--it just must be a lot of fun to be in that position.

I am going to look at a few more worlds tomorrow.

10/3/2015 1:42 AM
In Knight with the NT to begin tonight it is a very similar story for the most point for the coaches of the top 10 rated teams.

The average coach has been at his team 26 seasons--not as long as Wooden.

Only 1 coach started later than 2009 and that was in 2013. However by his early success it is very obvious that this is second id for the guy.

Also I was going by the date they started in WIS at the top of their coaches page so some of them in both worlds could have started in Sim baseball or something else. However, the overwhelming majority started in the first 20 seasons of the particular world they are now rated in .

10/3/2015 2:04 AM
Posted by tooslim on 10/3/2015 2:04:00 AM (view original):
In Knight with the NT to begin tonight it is a very similar story for the most point for the coaches of the top 10 rated teams.

Only 1 coach started later than 2009 and that was in 2013. However by his early success it is very obvious that this is second id for the guy.

Also I was going by the date they started in WIS at the top of their coaches page so some of them in both worlds could have started in Sim baseball or something else. However, the overwhelming majority started in the first 20 seasons of the particular world they are now rated in .

I'm going to guess your referring to me in Knight as I started in 2013. This is and has been my only account, but I did have a D3 school in Naismith for a few years as my first team (learned the ins and outs for a couple seasons then joined a 2-a-day world). Haven't won a D1 NT, but have made 2 final fours.
10/3/2015 3:31 AM
Pretty interesting topic Tooslim. It shows something is not really working... And it shows you cannot win at a Mid-Major for sure, which needs to be fixed. I am not saying you need to be as competitive as big six teams, but if you have a shot sometimes, when you did a solid job, we want to see results.
10/3/2015 8:52 AM
Posted by joeykw18 on 10/3/2015 3:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tooslim on 10/3/2015 2:04:00 AM (view original):

I'm going to guess your referring to me in Knight as I started in 2013. This is and has been my only account, but I did have a D3 school in Naismith for a few years as my first team (learned the ins and outs for a couple seasons then joined a 2-a-day world). Haven't won a D1 NT, but have made 2 final fours.
Well congratulations joeykw18! You have had amazing success for the short time you have been here. Please send me your secrets in a sitemail lol.

(corrected a small spelling error---"my" to "me")

10/3/2015 10:51 AM
By looking at the length of time coaches who have played HD on here who have won NC's and have highly ranked teams in D1--it has confirmed what I have come to think after playing HD for almost 2 years and D1 for 1 year: While unintentional, the D1 game caters to coaches who have been here for 8 to 10 years. They pay little money to play this game as they earn credits from their entrenched power 6 conference teams. Only 2 coaches who have started since 2010 have been mentioned as winning NC's at D1. In the several worlds I looked at (and I looked at a few more than I posted data for) only 1 coach has a top ten ranked team currently that started after 2010--though I would guess there are 2 or 3 more in a world I did not look at or could see.

Obviously for the health of the game this needs fixed. . Right now there is a microscopic size window of hope for new coaches joining HD and moving up to D1-- where they are familiar with the teams and have favorite teams. Certainly it shouldn't be a drastic fix, but that microscopic window of hope needs to be made into a small window of hope that can be achieved in a couple year period by hard work, paying your dues, and studying the game.

I started in HD a little less than 2 years ago and at D1 in HD about a year ago. I grew up in Michigan and am a lifelong Michigan St. fan. I moved to Colorado 30 years ago and am also a CU fan. When I joined this game I was hoping that maybe in a 2 or 3 year period I could work my way up and coach one or both teams. I wasn't expecting miracles or instant gratification. I got to where I now have 7 D1 teams thinking that the more worlds I am in the greater my chances to coach one of my favorite teams. As the game is constructed today, I have come to realize that I have no chance of achieving this in 2 or 3 years. I would put my odds at 10% of achieving this in 5 years. I am not a bad coach or a great coach. My coaching ability needle probably registers in between the average and good categories and probably a little closer to the good category. The amount of money I will have to spend to achieve the goal of coaching MSU or CU is ridiculous especially when compared to the entrenched coaches on here who pay little or no money to play this game. It is easy to see why the future of HD is very bleak. This is very sad because it is a great game with some small correctable flaws.

The question being can they fix some of the flaws to better the game overall and even the playing field out a little so there is more of chance to compete for newer customers while not ******* off the 8 to 10 year customers.

I will give the new updates a chance. I will probably cut down from my 7 D1 teams to around 4. IF it gets better I will continue and might get back into some of the worlds I am going to leave. IF the updates leave the game in virtually the same state it is now with just a different recruiting method or the updates make the game worse, I doubt I will continue playing this. I am guessing there are a lot of coaches in the same boat I am in.

He had to do something but seble is really rolling the dice by making such drastic changes when just a few tweaks brought up by the veteran coaches might have made a difference that would improve the game and keep the newer coaches like me engaged in the game. I have seen this movie before. I started out in GD and went through this process already and it made GD a ghost town. I wouldn't play GD now if it was free. There were a few things needed to tweak a good game and they ignored the small fixable problems for a grand reshuffling of the whole game and screwed it up. I will give seble some credit: he appears to listen to the veteran players some (but not enough in my opinion) whereas the GD re-writer did not listen to anything the veteran coaches told him.

I wish seble good luck and am looking forward to the beta testing.

10/3/2015 12:04 PM
Well Tooslim. Thanks, It answers my question. I will keep two D1 teams and build them slowly. No need to jump on other D1 teams since it takes forever to be relevant. It needs to be fixed in priority.

1) Firing at D1 jobs.
2) Lessening the power of the conference money, so people can battle.
3) Making recruits less enclined to sign because of reputation but more because of reasons. A sitting player should go mid-major some of the time. And you should not have to recruit top DII players when you are in D1. You should be able to land stars players even at D-, if you play your cards right. It takes four years, as I already said, to build a team that can win games.
4) Recruit générations.
5) Job logic.

I don't understand why Seble isn't working on this first and foremost. Like Tooslim I am an Arizona State fan and a Georgetown fan. I am hoping to get to these teams. I have been playing for 1 year and I moved up to a mid-major La Salle after some success at a low-end D1 where I was in the NT three years in a row. But when I went to La Salle, I had to restart again, which is a bit stupid. I should be able to land some talent when I move from a team I rebuild well, to a new one where I should have some attraction power. So eight years later, I am competitive at La Salle, but not sure of a NT spot. But at least it's built. Will see how I can manage wins.
10/3/2015 12:47 PM
Posted by tooslim on 10/3/2015 12:04:00 PM (view original):
By looking at the length of time coaches who have played HD on here who have won NC's and have highly ranked teams in D1--it has confirmed what I have come to think after playing HD for almost 2 years and D1 for 1 year: While unintentional, the D1 game caters to coaches who have been here for 8 to 10 years. They pay little money to play this game as they earn credits from their entrenched power 6 conference teams. Only 2 coaches who have started since 2010 have been mentioned as winning NC's at D1. In the several worlds I looked at (and I looked at a few more than I posted data for) only 1 coach has a top ten ranked team currently that started after 2010--though I would guess there are 2 or 3 more in a world I did not look at or could see.

Obviously for the health of the game this needs fixed. . Right now there is a microscopic size window of hope for new coaches joining HD and moving up to D1-- where they are familiar with the teams and have favorite teams. Certainly it shouldn't be a drastic fix, but that microscopic window of hope needs to be made into a small window of hope that can be achieved in a couple year period by hard work, paying your dues, and studying the game.

I started in HD a little less than 2 years ago and at D1 in HD about a year ago. I grew up in Michigan and am a lifelong Michigan St. fan. I moved to Colorado 30 years ago and am also a CU fan. When I joined this game I was hoping that maybe in a 2 or 3 year period I could work my way up and coach one or both teams. I wasn't expecting miracles or instant gratification. I got to where I now have 7 D1 teams thinking that the more worlds I am in the greater my chances to coach one of my favorite teams. As the game is constructed today, I have come to realize that I have no chance of achieving this in 2 or 3 years. I would put my odds at 10% of achieving this in 5 years. I am not a bad coach or a great coach. My coaching ability needle probably registers in between the average and good categories and probably a little closer to the good category. The amount of money I will have to spend to achieve the goal of coaching MSU or CU is ridiculous especially when compared to the entrenched coaches on here who pay little or no money to play this game. It is easy to see why the future of HD is very bleak. This is very sad because it is a great game with some small correctable flaws.

The question being can they fix some of the flaws to better the game overall and even the playing field out a little so there is more of chance to compete for newer customers while not ******* off the 8 to 10 year customers.

I will give the new updates a chance. I will probably cut down from my 7 D1 teams to around 4. IF it gets better I will continue and might get back into some of the worlds I am going to leave. IF the updates leave the game in virtually the same state it is now with just a different recruiting method or the updates make the game worse, I doubt I will continue playing this. I am guessing there are a lot of coaches in the same boat I am in.

He had to do something but seble is really rolling the dice by making such drastic changes when just a few tweaks brought up by the veteran coaches might have made a difference that would improve the game and keep the newer coaches like me engaged in the game. I have seen this movie before. I started out in GD and went through this process already and it made GD a ghost town. I wouldn't play GD now if it was free. There were a few things needed to tweak a good game and they ignored the small fixable problems for a grand reshuffling of the whole game and screwed it up. I will give seble some credit: he appears to listen to the veteran players some (but not enough in my opinion) whereas the GD re-writer did not listen to anything the veteran coaches told him.

I wish seble good luck and am looking forward to the beta testing.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. You're a Michigan St and Colorado fan and because there only so many of those jobs to go around and you're newish, WIS needs to change the game so you can get one? That doesn't sound broken.

The problem with HD is the lack of marketing to get some new coaches AND the lack of coaches who want to learn to be great at the game. If you're worried about spending a ton of money cut back on your teams. Not only will you save money but you'll have more time to focus on your leftover teams, thus making them better. I have seen Colorado turn over twice in Knight during my time, so it does happen. Changing recruiting isn't going to make those jobs open up for you. It sounds like you're talking about the job logic, but even if WIS fixes that msu and Colorado are usually pretty good.

Revamping isn't going to help HD. Some long time coaches are going to dropout and others will find a new excitement for the game. This doesn't recruit any new coaches so the net result is fewer coaches which doesn't make HD better.
10/3/2015 12:52 PM
La Salle AD: Hello, you have applied for a job at La Salle college. We would like to know when you expect to turn this program around?

The new coach : Well, it will take me four years before I can hope to battle for a one and done spot in the NT, not sure I will be getting there, but I am hopeful I will do so.

La Salle AD : What do you mean? How long before you get a winning records?

The new coach : 2 to 3 seasons, but don't expect anything else by the third season than a low PIT seed. And I need other coaches in my division to be dumbasses.

La Salle AD : And once you reach the NT, four years from now, well if you do, then what is next?

The new coach : Well, it probably will take me four more years to raise my reputation so kids start looking up La Salle, and then maybe I am getting a second round exit in the NT.

La Salle AD: So you need eight years to get a NT win?

The new coach : Well, that is if everything goes well and I don't jinx our recruiting and no other teams battle on hidden gems like me.

La Salle AD: You truly do not want this job right? Penn State called you?

The new coach : No, it's just that I am just being realistic.

La Salle AD : You don't believe in yourself coach, how can the university trust you to turn this program around...

The new coach : At least, I am honest.

La Salle AD: Sorry, but will go in another direction. We prefer to get a SIM AI. No pressure, no nothing.
10/3/2015 12:56 PM
I wasn't saying that at all joeykw18. Looks like my long-winded statement hid the point I was trying to make lol. In reference to your ridiculous point that you think  that I think WIS needs to change to accommodate my wanting to coach MSU or CU--what I said was there is currently a microscopically small window for a new coach coming to HD to coach his favorite team at D1 that is virtually unachievable in a 5 year period. That applies to EVERY new coach that joins HD not just me sheeesh. I said it needed to be a small window that could be achievable. I also made several references to making the game better which has nothing to do with me getting a chance to coach one of my favorite teams. I was trying to use an example as to why newer coaches are frustrated and will continue to quit this game because of this. It is a reason, but certainly not close to the only reason, people play this game. I have made probably ten or so comments on the forums about the changes coming in the games and none of them were about what I wanted for myself--they were all about improving the game. I have never seen you on here sharing your opinions on improving the game.

Yes the hiring and firing at D1 needs fixed amongst other things.

And thanks for telling me that Michigan St. and Colorado are usually pretty good in this game--I never noticed that. (sarcasm mode now turned off)

I agree totally with you about one of the big problems with HD is the lack of marketing. I don't know why Fox even bought the game if they were not going to do anything with it. Maybe I am naive about this, but why doesn't Fox put a small clickable ad for HD on their Fox Sports website on their NCAA basketball page. It doesn't have to be at the top where they can make good money for ads but something somewhere where a college basketball fan might see it. It's their site--it wouldn't cost them any money.

You also made a point that I have made recently on these forums that the net result of these changes will be fewer coaches.

Now let's go to the bar, have a cold microbrew beer, watch some college football, and discuss this further!!!

I have always thought that it would be very helpful for this game if about ten of us who really care about this game could sit down in a bar with seble and some cold brews and have a positive, constructive conversation about improving this game. Personally, I would fly to Cincinnati, or wherever the WIS offices are these days for a weekend, to participate in this.

10/3/2015 1:32 PM
123 Next ▸
D1 NC winning coaches Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.