I want to share a neat story, at least to me.

I just won my first title at Division 1 with Kentucky. It was a big deal to me, as this game really is my form of entertainment and a stress release.

I have been playing HD since September of 2009. I had a lot of success early, and won 7 titles in 146 seasons. But, since I moved up to Division 1, it's been frustrating, and the best finish ever was a couple of final 4 appearances. And this was in 155 seasons since my initial success.

I had told my 35 year old son, Dylan, about this a few times, well, maybe more than a few times, and  he would always roll his eyes at me, or humor me, etc. and was probably silently thinking, "C'mon Dad, get a life". LOL

A couple of years ago Dylan developed bile duct cancer, and on September 11th, he passed away, here at home with me and my wife (his mom) at his side. This morning, I realized that September 11th, the day he passed away, was the signing 
day for the new recruits for this Kentucky team.

So, maybe I had some divine help with this one. He was always trying to make others happy while he was alive so maybe he pulled a few strings for me, since he knew how happy this would make me.

I just thought that was a cool story.
10/6/2015 3:06 PM
That is a good story so thank you for sharing ... It puts a nice human touch and some much needed perspective on this game that provides me a great deal of entertainment too but also sometimes gets me wound up too tight now and then. I want to go home now and give my girls a hug. Congrats on the title and on your faith in knowing your son is smiling down on you.
10/6/2015 3:35 PM
Nice story man. I'm pretty sure there was some form of higher help for Kentucky to win a title in the current engine as well...LOL. The Illini, UCon, Michigan State, and Georgia Tech "should" all be easier to win at....congrats
10/6/2015 3:48 PM
So sorry for your loss chapel.   Thanks for sharing.
10/6/2015 4:40 PM
Yeah Chapel, really sorry about all of this. Life can be strange, but goodtimes and memories never perish. Thanks for sharing. And congrats on the NT win. I hope to win one anywhere!
10/6/2015 6:41 PM
Although it's obviously very late, condolences on the loss of your son. 
10/6/2015 7:37 PM
Sorry for your loss, chapel, Thanks for sharing and putting this game into perspective for us.
Last, but not least, congrats on that title. Excellent job.
10/6/2015 8:02 PM
thank you for sharing that, chne.
im sorry for your loss.  and i love that you still feel his presence and obviously cherish your memories with him.

I had a couple of really close friends pass away in thier 30's.   thats been awhile ago now but i still think of them.  thank you for reminding me
10/6/2015 8:06 PM
Awesome story, chapel, thanks for sharing. And like everyone has said, deeply sorry for your loss. A parent should never have to bury their child.
10/6/2015 8:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Sorry for your loss chapel - but really cool that HD could make you think of your son in such a fond way. Congrats on the title.
10/6/2015 9:00 PM
Thanks for sharing, and sorry for your loss Chapel. I've always been impressed by your coaching and respected your posts as well. Congrats on the Kentucky championship, sounds like the team had someone looking over it.
10/7/2015 1:22 AM
Thanks guys really appreciate it. This is really the second time something kind of like this has happened to me in HD. A few years ago I started an alternate ID Billy_Graham, in Rupp, with the idea that it would be interesting to create a team using only players with names from the Bible. Of course, we picked Nazareth for the school - LOL. Somehow, four years later, that team won a national championship. That was really unusual as well because my player pool was probably 20% of a normal pool, so that was pretty amazing.
10/7/2015 9:23 AM
Sorry for your loss chapelhillne.  DEEP SYMPATHY. I understand what you are going through. My son passed away 4 years ago in a murder/suicide. He always laughed at my commitment to this game.  This story hits home. Thank you for sharing
10/7/2015 11:30 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 10/7/2015 9:23:00 AM (view original):
Thanks guys really appreciate it. This is really the second time something kind of like this has happened to me in HD. A few years ago I started an alternate ID Billy_Graham, in Rupp, with the idea that it would be interesting to create a team using only players with names from the Bible. Of course, we picked Nazareth for the school - LOL. Somehow, four years later, that team won a national championship. That was really unusual as well because my player pool was probably 20% of a normal pool, so that was pretty amazing.
touching story, sorry for your loss.

on the names part... do you just know all the names in the bible, offhand? or would you sometimes look them up in a database? whenever people talk about using a bible name in naming their children, i always wondered if looking to see if X was a bible name was cheating... sort of feels like cheating. would be cool or interesting i guess if your name selection was limited by your devotion, or something like that.
10/7/2015 11:39 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.