Forget Recruiting PLEASE work on timeouts!!! Topic

For the second time in 3 days my team has lost by 2 after giving up a 10 point lead to 15-0 run and 20-0 run without a timeout being called. No coach in the history of college basketball will give up 15 pt run without using a timeout.

The timeout is one of the more critical elements of coaching college basketball 
11/6/2015 9:14 AM
What are you going to do with that time out within the environment that is this game that will have any meaningful effect on the outcome? 

You can't alter your strategy -- those settings have been locked in via your game plan. 
Your players don't exist, so you can't "compose" them mentally during the time out. Random numbers don't feel pressure.
Your depth chart is already set, so the game is already using substitution patterns that you helped it establish. Besides, it appears player fatigue is one reason timeouts actually get called by the Sim, although in another recent thread there was some side banter wondering if players even refresh during those 30-60 seconds of rest during the time out. 

You're right -- no coach alive would surrender a 20--0 run in the key stretch of a game. But what will that time out accomplish in the game engine? What is the trigger point for having one called? What good does it do in a game controlled by random number generation for which the time out is nothing more than a line of code telling it to print something in the PBP window and possibly give a minor tweak to the current fatigue levels of all players. You're asking for a window dressing change that has no impact on game outcome. 
11/6/2015 3:07 PM
^ That sums it up I think 
11/6/2015 3:34 PM
Probably the dumbest thread of the month
11/6/2015 4:10 PM
Posted by mullycj on 11/6/2015 4:10:00 PM (view original):
Probably the dumbest thread of the month
I dunno - that everyone should be eligible for everything thread is going to be right up there.
11/6/2015 4:37 PM
I had dice games in the 80s that generated momentum and used timeouts to stop it. I had dice games that gave short term boosts in performance. Surely this super duper random number generator is capable of as much.

The game can and does adjust tempo. It also can adjust defensive positioning at halftime and in end game situations. It could make a similar smaller adjustment with a timeout. 

The game adjusts lineups based on foul trouble and score. It could make a lineup change: put starters back in. Give players a fatigue factor boost. It could take players in foul trouble out in end game situations.

It could provide a one possession boost to the team calling timeout.
11/6/2015 11:27 PM
Posted by iamjoeyd on 11/6/2015 11:27:00 PM (view original):
I had dice games in the 80s that generated momentum and used timeouts to stop it. I had dice games that gave short term boosts in performance. Surely this super duper random number generator is capable of as much.

The game can and does adjust tempo. It also can adjust defensive positioning at halftime and in end game situations. It could make a similar smaller adjustment with a timeout. 

The game adjusts lineups based on foul trouble and score. It could make a lineup change: put starters back in. Give players a fatigue factor boost. It could take players in foul trouble out in end game situations.

It could, and likely should do that.

In your dice games though, you were still doing things play by play,with user interaction for every play. This game does not do that. I am all for better end game logic.. But doesn't the other coach also get to talk to his team? So, other than maybe have some kind of 'number of games coached' mechanism, I don't see a fair way to adjust momentum for both teams. I do agree it could adjust fatigue and switch lineups.
11/7/2015 7:16 AM
Posted by iamjoeyd on 11/6/2015 9:14:00 AM (view original):
For the second time in 3 days my team has lost by 2 after giving up a 10 point lead to 15-0 run and 20-0 run without a timeout being called. No coach in the history of college basketball will give up 15 pt run without using a timeout.

Completely agree. I've played 1000 games and we've never had a officials timeout to address a issue with the game or shot clock either. Completely unrealistic.
11/7/2015 9:21 AM
Posted by therewas47 on 11/7/2015 9:21:00 AM (view original):

Completely agree. I've played 1000 games and we've never had a officials timeout to address a issue with the game or shot clock either. Completely unrealistic.
We need to add in TV timeouts in high D1 games. It's immersion breaking that it isn't implemented and I've seriously thought about quitting because of it.
11/7/2015 10:03 AM
Posted by timjmiller on 11/7/2015 10:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by therewas47 on 11/7/2015 9:21:00 AM (view original):

We need to add in TV timeouts in high D1 games. It's immersion breaking that it isn't implemented and I've seriously thought about quitting because of it.
and on numerous occasions I've asked the sim refs to stop the game for review of whether a player's foot was on the 3 point line or who last touched the ball before it went out of bounds ... but alas not once have they granted my requests ...
11/7/2015 10:15 AM
HahaHaha nice.
11/7/2015 10:34 AM
And speaking of realism, where are all the technical fouls?? I wanna see Jimmy B rip off his jacket and go ballistic over a terrible charge/blocking call
11/7/2015 10:36 AM
I'm pleased to see this thread rebound so successfully. It was in doubt early.
11/7/2015 10:39 AM
Posted by iamjoeyd on 11/6/2015 11:27:00 PM (view original):

As pointed out already, in dice games you knew specifically the situation you were in and could make your adjustments "in the moment" with a full knowledge of the situation. In this Sim you do not. You learn of the situation after the fact via the play by play, but you have to input your game plan beforehand. 

So how are you going to universally decide:
1. When to tell the computer to call a timeout for you? (i.e.-the specific game conditions that must exist for the Sim to call a timeout on your behalf)
2. How to decide whether the speed up, slow down or leave the tempo unchanged at that moment in the game?
3. How to decide whether to extend, collapse or leave unchanged your defensive positioning at that moment of the game? 
4. How long the changes made in 2 & 3 should apply for (is this going to be a permanent change similar to the halftime adjustment? Is it going to last for a few trips down the floor? Until the next timeout?)
5. In which situations you want your starters on the floor despite foul trouble vs. which ones you want them in the game for? 

Those rules need to apply to the infinite number of scenarios that may arise in a game -- everything from a double overtime contest that goes back and forth numerous times to games like the Kansas-Baylor boxscore that was posted a few weeks back that had KU up 39-2 at the half or something like that. That's not a simple task to do using full sentences  -- go ahead and try if you don't believe me. And then realize that it would be even harder to do via coding to program it into the game. What drop down menus, check boxes, etc. would be needed to capture all the subtle nuances of late-game scenarios that might arise? 

Again, this game doesn't have momentum. Those runs you see are the product of random number generation and coincidence. Any momentum you're seeing is an illusion that you have created in your own mind while reading the play by play. There's nothing to "stop" with a timeout. I'm all for making the game better, but you're asking for a complex solution to a window dressing problem that ultimately has zero impact on the outcome of games.
11/7/2015 12:11 PM
No momentum? Then why do I always go for big high flying plays to get the sim crowd pumped up?
11/7/2015 1:41 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸
Forget Recruiting PLEASE work on timeouts!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.