Running uptempo versus a superior (but thin) team? Topic

I was wondering if there was anything to this?  Let's say you are playing a team that is a good deal better than you but only goes 8 or 9 deep.  Your team may only have the better starter in 1 of 5 positions, but is very deep with plenty of upperclassmen and 11 guys who see time.  The thought process here is that running uptempo would cause the opponent to tire quicker, leading to more fouls and more playing time for the weak bench.  Even though you have a talent disadvantage, could it still be a viable option to run uptempo in this scenerio?
11/19/2015 10:44 PM
it's a gamble. it works if you can get some of their better starters in foul trouble. if not, then you have more possessions for their studs. i've used it from time to time, it can be a useful strategy, but you have to think that your players have the athleticism and matchups to hopefully force them to substitute.
11/19/2015 10:48 PM
I also think it depends on the defense I think this strategy is probably the best against the press, hope they tire out and play backups and fatigue.  Hope you get them to foul you a lot
11/19/2015 10:51 PM
I've used this strategy before. IMO, running uptempo doesn't tire the other team out as much as you'd think. It does increase the number of possessions in the game though, so you have a better chance of getting them in foul trouble.

For the same reason I've gone uptempo when the teams are even, but the opponent shoots a lot of threes and I score primarily inside. More possessions = more fouls, and the team that scores around the basket is more likely to get into the bonus and take advantage.
11/20/2015 12:03 AM
I have used uptempo primarly on two occasions :

1) I shoot a lot of threes, my perimeter game is really good, and my defense is not as good as my opponents.

2) I have a team that is much more athletic, but my scoring is mediocre. I want to go to the line.
11/20/2015 7:59 AM
i think the strategy the OP is asking about is generally not the way to go, but has some specific applications where it might make sense. the thing is, the fatigue hit your team takes, exceeds the hit your opponents take, AND you are an underdog increasing possessions, so you are taking 2 significant hits - you have to have a big payoff to make up for that. in extreme cases, sure, if the other team is <10 running press or <8 otherwise, or maybe even with just being really short in the backcourt or frontcourt - that can make sense. but generally speaking, running uptempo into a non-pressing team who is superior to you is a losing strategy, and only really workable around the edge cases. of course, if you are a huge underdog, things might be a bit different, you can't really cost yourself anything so taking a gamble at foul trouble isn't a bad idea. 

in more general cases, running uptempo into a superior press team can make sense. the marginal impact of low fatigue is increasing - meaning, every step more tired you get, you take a bigger hit than the previous step. because the press teams are operating more fatigued to start, you can afford to take the bigger fatigue hit, because if you are like a 10 man man or zone team, its not going to hurt you that much, and the lesser fatigue hit to the press team might actually be worth more. plus, press teams suffer from more fouls, they foul more per possession, and press games have more possessions, so the total fouls will be higher (for both teams), making foul trouble more likely. because fatigue levels are already significant even for a deep press team, losing a guy to foul trouble can be a disaster. so, it definitely can make sense to run uptempo into a superior press team, and i don't just mean in rare edge cases like where you are a 20-1 dog and can play for a miracle, or where the other team only has 7 guys...
11/20/2015 9:40 AM
I've run uptempo with M2M as an underdog specifically because I knew they were weaker on the bench/had a younger team with lower IQ's (this was high D1).  Still definitely a gamble, but I've beaten a favorite this way before.  It's always an option, but definitely doesn't shift the advantage too much in most cases.
11/20/2015 11:33 AM
Running uptempo versus a superior (but thin) team? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.