Is Texas overrated? Topic

IDK personally I feel Texas is one of the worst recruiting grounds for D2/D3

Now this might seem silly considering I just went to the NC with a Texas team, but my best players were from Missouri and a transfer from Alaska, and overall I had 3 players from Texas on my roster.

It's not like I'm in hodunk, Texas like I am with McMurray.  I'm ~90 miles from Dallas.

Now I'm not saying it's "bad" because since there are no midwest D3 teams you can effectively recruit CO/KS/MO/NE better than most teams, but still you are sending 40/40 or CV to these far recruits and you can't really pulldown since ST are so high, so you have to get lucky and get dropdowns like I did.

Now maybe this is because the TX conferences are pretty weak?(How much does conference strength or # of teams affect recruit generation?)

I also have like mentioned McMurray which sucks since it is hodunk texas, but I also have a D2 TX team in Austin.  I've coached West Texas A&M and Midwestern State.  And you do see elite texas teams, Dallas is generally always very strong same with Southwestern and Texas Tyler.

Maybe I'm just a ***** and complaining, but I always seem to think Texas is good get a team there, hate recruiting there, and end up with more Texas teams, its like it infects your mind and the number of Texas teams multiple.

IDK it's also weird like one of my best D3 teams is in GA, but in the ~10 seasons I've been there I've had maybe 3/4 good players actually from GA.

I would also apply this to the Cali schools.

And yes obviously they aren't ****, and the Elites do very well, but not being elite and the majority not being elite, thats the point of view I'm coming from.
11/20/2015 1:22 PM
My grandfather was a Texas man. So much so, that when my dad was born, my grandfather had brought some soil from Texas to put under him, because he wanted my father to have been born on Texas soil.

You have just insulted a true Texan!

My grandfather was an interesting guy. Drank himself to death though.
11/20/2015 2:50 PM
Are people very high on Texas that it can be overrated? It can be a real pain in the butt to recruit from, and is easily the worst of the "big" states (the NY/PA/CA of the country). It isn't "bad" if you play it smart, but all things being equal other regions are much easier landing spots.
11/20/2015 3:38 PM
I had some moderate success at E Texas Baptist, but that was usually more taking advantage of being really close to Louisiana and dipping into Arkansas and other states more so than actually signing a lot of TX talent.  I've never been in CA, but it seems like at least the huge cost to FSS PA and NY (in D3) are offset by a lot more guys that aren't super far away.
11/20/2015 4:35 PM
I find California much worse than texas, by far.

11/20/2015 11:34 PM
I agree with TheOnly. It seems like the promise land until you actually get there and see it can be complicated pulling down players. I was there, now I am in New Mexico and I get one or two good prospects a recruiting period, so I need to get to Texas and do the same stuff as I did before, pulling from 500 miles or even over that.
11/21/2015 9:53 AM
Is Texas overrated? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.