informing or redshirt question Topic

So recruiting is already over but I had a guy only considering me since the third cycle. I wanted to redshirt him so on the day of signing a couple cycles before I sent a redshirt and two home visits. This is D3. I had always heard send them the same cycle. Well the email for the home visits he went on about he can't wait to sign. But in another scholly email he said he laughed and tore up my scholly offer. Sure enough he was no longer considering me and he had declined the scholly. I didn't want to lose him so I took the redshirt off sent a scholly and he signed.

My question is could I have sent a scholly with more home visits and got him back with the redshirt on?

Sorry for the long winded question.
1/4/2016 4:58 PM
You might have been able to get him with the RS with more effort - cant know for sure, depends on the guy and your school and whether anyone else is nosing around.
1/4/2016 5:13 PM
2 Home visits being enough effort to counteract an inform of redshirt, assuming minimal effort beforehand, is definitely the exception and not the rule. You'd need more effort than that.

1/4/2016 7:08 PM (edited)
Thanks jsajsa I always heard two was the standard at D3 but maybe not. I had 2hv 1sv and the scholly in him third cycle and the only one he considered during the whole recruiting period. Did the redshirt 2hv same cycle signing day 3 cycles before signing and he dropped me like a bad habit.

Next time I'll try more effort it just scared me because he declined my scholly also so I had to resend that.

Lessons learned
1/4/2016 7:59 PM
Took me 3 HV when I did it on a JUCO. I didn't do enough and he stopped considering so I threw another 2 HV his way and he was back on board with the RS
1/4/2016 8:29 PM
Couple things here:
1) I agree with jsajsa.  I've never had a problem sending 3 HVs OR 1 CV to counteract my R/S

2) Send the CV/HV effort a cycle BEFORE you inform of R/S.  Every now and then the kid will randomly reject your CV or HV (even after he's already considering you).  This ensures you already have the CV/HVs on board and then will be safe informing of R/S.
1/4/2016 9:55 PM
Also its possible after he drops you from being considered to send more effort and get considered again withiut withdrawing the redshirt.
1/5/2016 1:07 AM
blackdog since it said he declined the scholly I assume when you say more effort that means more effort and another scholly? He didn't just stop considering he also declined the scholly.

thanks
1/5/2016 3:05 AM
cmac, I'm curious why you informed of redshirt to begin with? At D2 / D3 I never inform of redshirt, and I've been successful in getting freshmen to accept the RS 22 out of the last 25 times I tried with no drop in WE. One other time, I had a modest WE drop that I could live with, and only 2 freshmen hated it so much that I had to pull the RS back.

I just think at D3 the saved cash is worth more than the extra 10% of security that they'll definitely accept it.
1/5/2016 3:08 PM
Posted by bhansalid00 on 1/5/2016 3:08:00 PM (view original):
cmac, I'm curious why you informed of redshirt to begin with? At D2 / D3 I never inform of redshirt, and I've been successful in getting freshmen to accept the RS 22 out of the last 25 times I tried with no drop in WE. One other time, I had a modest WE drop that I could live with, and only 2 freshmen hated it so much that I had to pull the RS back.

I just think at D3 the saved cash is worth more than the extra 10% of security that they'll definitely accept it.
Agreed. A general rule of thumb I've seen at D3 is that if a player has (1) the lowest overall rating on the roster and (2) there are at least two players already at his listed position, he will almost always take the scholarship without complaint.
1/5/2016 3:40 PM
I never notify and have never had a problem with redshirting a guy. My "trick" is to take him off the depth chart before you do it. IDK if I'm just super lucky but it always works. Just did it to a JR this season with no complaints.
1/5/2016 4:59 PM
Whether a guy will take the redshirt has to do with his current standing on the roster, regardless of position or depth chart. Generally speaking, at DIII a freshmen will be willing to take it without informing first but if you want to redshirt a juco you better inform during recruiting. Sometimes though the freshman is just that good and you have much more money than you need in which case it's worth informing during recruiting just to be safe. That's why I happily spent thousands of dollars on my current redshirt in Naismith just to be safe. I had boatloads of money and he's that **** good - wasn't worth not informing.
1/5/2016 5:06 PM
like jsajsa said I had the money and I was recruiting two players with only 1 point different in total rating and wanted to redshirt him.. I have always been able to redshirt a player just not always the one I want I have about 20% of the time the guy I want to redshirt not take it without a WE drop. Also he was a pulldown and sometimes I've had pulldowns not take them without a WE hit.
1/5/2016 8:33 PM
grimacedance I have not been lucky as you I guess because I've had a string of about 3 in a row not take the redshirt without a huge WE drop.
1/5/2016 8:36 PM
informing or redshirt question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.