Beating the press Topic

Question on tempo. When you're looking at a press team to determine whether to play normal, uptempo, etc. how should you evaluate stamina ratings? Let's assume you run zone or M2M, your opponent runs press, and the players on both teams are of roughly equal quality in all the non-stamina areas. Should I be looking for:

1. Their average team stamina numbers vs. my average team stamina numbers. From there you could say, for example, if those numbers are pretty equal or if mine are higher I should play uptempo to wear them down per stewdog's post above. If their numbers are higher I should play slowdown.
2. The average stamina numbers for their starters vs. the average stamina numbers for my starters (and then the same for bench players). Then compare the numbers to stewdog's options above, etc.
3. A threshold stamina number below which the press rapidly loses effectiveness. For example, in D3 you need stamina of X or greater for your starters or else you really can't be effective. And Y for D2 and Z for D1.
4. Something completely different.
1/28/2016 12:11 AM
In both the speed and stamina issues, I would say the following:

Know the big picture...speed by itself doesn't kill, but I value it more than most. When I began valuing it more, and began setting faster lineuos vs press teams, I won more games that were closely matched than when I went with regular lineuos. When I began recruiting speed more intentionally, I won a lot of national championships consecutively. Against great teams. Great teams. That otherwise matched up. By itself, speed is obviously good. In aggregate, it adds a lot to what I do in both playing and defending the press.

Example: I have one guy on my Ga Tech current team that has had an incredible career for me and is playing great this year. He is literally the only player on my roster with a sub 90 athleticism and sub 90 D. And he is mid 60's in both! Awful...yet he has played very well. Many steals, few TO's and 50+% shooting every year, 10ish ppg the last two (I have 8-9 players all between 8-11 ppg).High 90s speed makes up for his low ath and D, I am convinced. (& 90bh/pass). He's a great player with poor ratings compared to everyone else. Speed is the only difference.
BUT- keep in mind the other pressing guards around him are 90/90/90 ath/sp/D and press is a team sport. On offense we average 73 passing, with 8 guys in the 80+ range. We would see a weakened D if I had multiple players like this on the court at the same time...big picture is the key.

It ok to have slow players... But a few speed guys can really have a great role.

Same with stamina.
See my earlier advice, I won't re-type it. But stamina is part of a bigger equation. If you're comfortable playing as many or guys as your opponent and have a higher stamina, speed it up! If you have a 12th man who sucks but has a 99 ST, I don't care to consider him. You have no st edge if you're counting on a scrub to bring up the average. What's the big picture look like? Are you deeper (St. helps determine this)? Are you better? What D do you run?
If they're better, slow it down so randomness in the engine matters more with fewer possessions. If you're better and deeper, run him to the ground.
1/28/2016 5:57 PM
◂ Prev 12
Beating the press Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.