Recruiting late at D1 Topic

In the "How to win at D2 / D3" post, aejones talks about how you could build a consistent NT-caliber team just with recruits you pick up on after signing day. A lot of us have proven this to be true - I went to an E8 and S16 with 11 players who I recruited after signings began. So my question is: 

How far could you get in D1 using basically the same strategy?

In other words, if you're at a low D1 school and spent nothing on recruiting until, say, 1-2 cycles before signings start. Then you tried to swoop in on guys who bigger teams had considering them but eventually dropped, and then went full-force after signings to find diamonds in the rough. How far could that strategy get you in D1?
2/2/2016 11:38 AM
Not very......you could certainly win an empty conference but I doubt you could go 500 in a BCS or other human filled conference...I have tried, I have failed
2/2/2016 12:31 PM
In Tark, it's suicide. You need to show your coloura right at the start and you need to know the schools you will battle and the range of players you can get with your money and your reputation.
2/2/2016 12:45 PM
now, if you had a decent amount of cash and were very astute in watching who was considering whom and how all the battles developed and whatnot you might be able to swoop in and "poach" players that were lightly considered at the buzzer with this sort of strategy maybe...
2/2/2016 1:05 PM
the other part is you would be able to scout all 50 states once signings started (would be alot cheaper with less recruits) then beable to pick up all the high potential guys that fell undecided with schools filling up.  as a "C" or "D" prestige school I could see it working to compete in a low major conf
2/2/2016 2:14 PM
Posted by waykbordr on 2/2/2016 2:14:00 PM (view original):
the other part is you would be able to scout all 50 states once signings started (would be alot cheaper with less recruits) then beable to pick up all the high potential guys that fell undecided with schools filling up.  as a "C" or "D" prestige school I could see it working to compete in a low major conf
Those guys are like unicorns and the female orgasm, often talked about but never seen, they don't exist.....REALLY good players don't fall through the cracks in D1.
2/2/2016 2:22 PM
I wouldn't use the strategy the way you presented it (doing no recruiting until signings), but if you had 4 scholarships and you went hard after 2 or 3 guys from the start and saved 1 or 2 open scholarships to see if anyone falls through the cracks after signings then I think it is a good strategy.  
2/2/2016 2:22 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/2/2016 2:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by waykbordr on 2/2/2016 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Those guys are like unicorns and the female orgasm, often talked about but never seen, they don't exist.....REALLY good players don't fall through the cracks in D1.
Not accurate, but accurate enough.  I believe my 1 D1 NCPOY was pursued after start of signings, I know he was a high potential guy that grew and grew.  Don't have numbers, but I remember I signed him for cheap, with no contest, and I'm pretty sure I found him after signings.  Of course that's one guy in many many D1 seasons

I'd say the only option for REALLY good uncovered guys at D1 is internationals, but I assume everyone knows the joys of ST's and not figuring out if they're good at what you need them to be.  Total crapshoot there
2/2/2016 2:27 PM
Posted by bhansalid00 on 2/2/2016 11:38:00 AM (view original):
In the "How to win at D2 / D3" post, aejones talks about how you could build a consistent NT-caliber team just with recruits you pick up on after signing day. A lot of us have proven this to be true - I went to an E8 and S16 with 11 players who I recruited after signings began. So my question is: 

How far could you get in D1 using basically the same strategy?

In other words, if you're at a low D1 school and spent nothing on recruiting until, say, 1-2 cycles before signings start. Then you tried to swoop in on guys who bigger teams had considering them but eventually dropped, and then went full-force after signings to find diamonds in the rough. How far could that strategy get you in D1?
i personally am not confident i could even make the NT year in and out with that strategy. i probably could find a way, but seriously, its that much harder. 
2/2/2016 6:48 PM
I don't think waiting ever helps. It probably does when you have one scholly or two. But other than that, you need to go out and try to get the players you want.
2/2/2016 7:37 PM
Posted by andystender on 2/2/2016 2:22:00 PM (view original):
I wouldn't use the strategy the way you presented it (doing no recruiting until signings), but if you had 4 scholarships and you went hard after 2 or 3 guys from the start and saved 1 or 2 open scholarships to see if anyone falls through the cracks after signings then I think it is a good strategy.  
This is pretty much what I've been doing in the 3 recruiting seasons since I came back to D1. I've gotten one recruit per season who I started recruiting in the 5 pm cycle (or later) on signings day. My late recruit this time around was being recruited by a B school who had way more considering than open slots. Once he was down to one slot left at 8 pm, I went after my target hard and got him two cycles later. 
2/4/2016 4:22 PM
Recruiting late at D1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.