Best place to win at D1 Big Six Topic

Where is the best place to win it at D1?
Votes: 64
(Last vote received: 2/15/2016 2:06 PM)
2/8/2016 8:23 AM
I'd like to see LSU on this list.  They are fairly geographically isolated and because there are SO many D1 schools in Louisiana that state seems to have two or three 4 and 5 star kids generated every season.
2/8/2016 9:02 AM
Bizarre not to see Miami and LSU up there, yeah.
2/8/2016 10:05 AM
UConn and Illinois should be on the list as well. In every league I'm in, those teams have tons of success. I think those two, Kansas, and Cuse are the best places to win at -- Cuse has tons of advantages, esp. with Canadian players.
2/8/2016 11:15 AM
i voted unc, the north carolina schools are very successful historically, and it seems like the worlds with strong ACCs are numerous :)

really, it is very situational. i coached colorado, surprised it has the most votes, definitely not ideal IMO. the baseline matters, but also, for folks seeking to be ultra elite, the hit or miss nature of recruiting is tough. i guess it does depend on the MWC to some extent, if you have literally no competition for colorado and utah, it can be a sweet deal. some MWCs get pretty tough though.

probably the cushiest job i ever had was texas a&m, which is rightfully not on this list - it just so happened all other 3 texas schools were down, so OK and LSU would come into texas some, but mostly i had first pick over the entire state. i've seen other a&ms that would be horrible pickups. it really just depends on the circumstance. in some worlds, the acc is great and maryland/ga tech have a little more distance from some of the other beast acc schools, and can be pretty ideal. all depends.

i coach MSU also, on the list, and it is a pretty sweet job. we had to fight like crazy in recruiting to get where we are, and now there are literally a swarm of A prestige schools right on our border. i've been at OSU and felt MSU would be crap in that spot, because strong OSU, IN, IL really had them boxed in to michigan state itself. in my world, i forget which one but really its dacj's team, we've had the ability to reach into IN and OH for players, and that has been huge (actually right now half our team is from OH). but, if that stops, or if michigan gets too rowdy on us, it could really turn things around - could go from a premium job to just a decent one. 

so anyway there is so much parity in what the great jobs are, i dont think folks should just seek out certain names, you should seek out situations, look for who has the breathing room, who is surrounded by solid but not great (b+ ish) BCS schools and stuff, and who has other a/a+s to duke it out with. fun to talk about but then i think some people go seek these jobs out (which are still usually at worst above average jobs), instead of trying to assess the actual situations. 
2/8/2016 11:41 AM
Gill is pretty much correct, it all depends on the landscape of the particular world.  

I think  in a strong ACC there are much better places than UNC or Duke.  A strong ACC will generally have solid teams at one of the other NC schools, UVA and probably Clemson, so you're surrounded.  In a strong ACC I think the southern schools (Georgia Tech, Florida St, and Miami) are some of the best, given that the SEC is generally pretty weak in HD.  If you have a strong ACC and a relatively week Big East, Maryland and BC are especially great.
2/8/2016 1:04 PM
I'm surprised Miami is not on this list.  It's consistently an A or A+ school in most worlds despite its low baseline because it really has the best location of any D1 school, if you can play it right.  

Also surprised Texas A&M isn't on the list.  If you build up to A or A+, the recruits never stop flowing there (or so I've been told).  Again, good relative to their baseline.

If we're talking THE best D1 job, not just relative to baseline, Syracuse would probably have to top the list given that it can own NYC with not a ton of other competition compared to the other places on this list.  UNC is probably a close 2nd.  
2/8/2016 2:13 PM
I would think just due to geography that Syracuse/UCONN, Kansas and UCLA would all have built in advantages.  NY State and LA I would think would be big enough to generate enough recruits that you can have top tier guys close.

Was it 0nly that did the champs across all worlds?  I'm curious to see now which ones have the most historically.  I would have to think the ACC schools kill each other enough that it would be much harder than the above 4 spots
2/8/2016 2:34 PM
Posted by guyo26 on 2/8/2016 2:34:00 PM (view original):
I would think just due to geography that Syracuse/UCONN, Kansas and UCLA would all have built in advantages.  NY State and LA I would think would be big enough to generate enough recruits that you can have top tier guys close.

Was it 0nly that did the champs across all worlds?  I'm curious to see now which ones have the most historically.  I would have to think the ACC schools kill each other enough that it would be much harder than the above 4 spots
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=472118
2/8/2016 3:20 PM
perfect, thank you tarv and thanks to chapelhillne.  Not 0nly ;)
2/8/2016 5:05 PM
Uconn, syracuse, illinois, Michigan state, kansas, ucla.

I'll pull top 10 all time combined when I get home.
2/8/2016 5:30 PM
Team Wins
1 Connecticut 19252
2 UCLA 18934
3 Kansas 18926
4 Syracuse 18661
5 UNC 18346
6 Illinois 18327
7 Michigan St. 18209
8 Duke 17898
9 Stanford 17897
10 Texas 17872

Team NT Wins
1 UNC 1351
2 Syracuse 1334
3 UCLA 1307
4 Kansas 1302
5 Connecticut 1285
6 Texas 1176
7 Duke 1174
8 Michigan St. 1163
9 Stanford 1065
10 Illinois 1063

Team CHAMPS
1 UNC 37
2 Kansas 35
3 Syracuse 32
4 Michigan St. 30
5 Connecticut 28
6 Texas 28
7 Duke 24
8 Miami (FL) 24
9 Colorado 24
10 Texas A&M 22

If I was going to pick my final destinations in order without any personal bias I'd probably go:

Kansas
Uconn
Michigan State
UCLA
Syracuse
Illinois
North Carolina/Duke
Miami
Colorado
Georgia Tech
2/8/2016 8:25 PM
Wow 4/4 on all except pesky michigan state in the champs list.  I blame dac/cbg for that lol.

Recruits generate in Kansas?  I know I've take guys from there, but consistently 4 and 5 star guys enough to feed Kansas?
2/8/2016 9:10 PM
A lot depends on what the conference strengths of the world are I think. Actually, not even necessarily just the conference strengths, but what the condition of traditionally powerful (and generally higher baseline) schools. In Rupp where gillispie and I co-coach Michigan State the Kentucky/Tennessee/West Virginia triangle area just below the Big 10 are all sort of weak, like no better than B prestige, so there's some ability for the Big 10 to recruit there. 

The Big 10 in Rupp was pretty decent when I picked up MSU, and since then a bunch of really good coaches have filled up the schools, so over the last half dozen seasons or so, maybe a bit more, we've (BIg10) been able to dominate in postseason money too most seasons.

That said, I voted for MSU, but only because its the only one of the list I've ever coached at, and the only place I've won (or been part of winning) D1 titles. To be honest, it can be a bit tough of a place to recruit. MSU has good access to Toronto, should a stud ever spawn there, but otherwise in basically ringed by other conference teams in all directions.  If the recruit generation doesn't turn up enough local studs for everyone, we are going to almost certainly have to fight in conference, or fight at a huge distance disadvantage, which means we get to face teams loaded with the same postseason cash as us which negates any advantage from that really...

Edited to add: On the plus side, most of the conference is under 400 miles from us, so we at least can look in pretty much all directions to decide which conference team to try to tackle...

2/8/2016 9:29 PM
Posted by guyo26 on 2/8/2016 9:11:00 PM (view original):
Wow 4/4 on all except pesky michigan state in the champs list.  I blame dac/cbg for that lol.

Recruits generate in Kansas?  I know I've take guys from there, but consistently 4 and 5 star guys enough to feed Kansas?
its hit or miss. when i started at kansas, i could barely field a full team, on a regular basis. i also had a really good coach at minnesota and illinois who pushed me on anything over 200 to the north - which was only able to be over 200 for them too out to like 220-240 or so, then it was under 200 from them. OK has/had a great coach so usually i can't look in OK. colorado is out west, and to the east, could be really anyone, so many schools that way who can eat into the 360 mile area. you basically have to have a 360 mile area somewhere, the 200 mile isn't enough, and your 360 mile definitely varies greatly by situation.

lately, its gone a lot better. the minnesota coach left, and i fought some battles with the illinois coach, which i won, which tends to buy you a little space on the ground. i also will look harder for internationals and dead zone guys. trying more in general has made a huge difference, its definitely only partially regional changes, but it has went from more "miss" to more "hit" over the years. when things go well in the region, kansas really can be a very good spot, but i actually really struggled early - so like anywhere, it all depends - but it does have a pretty good ceiling. not as high as the ceiling in other places, not the ideal place to win 10 titles in 29 years like hofhof just did, but i think its a nearly ideal place for a "very good" coach to ride those "hit" classes to the occasional championship.
2/8/2016 10:28 PM
12 Next ▸
Best place to win at D1 Big Six Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.