Reactionary posts Topic

Posted by hughesjr on 3/8/2016 9:33:00 AM (view original):
Instead of trying to figure out when to leave, how about you instead figure out how to participate in the beta so you can see what is happening and help make it better?
+1 The game itself is not going to change that much. I think we should all go into it with an open mind and as many people as possible, especially the experienced coaches should participate in the BETA testing.
3/8/2016 2:15 PM
at what speed did the beta run last time? a few games a day? its going to suck if its just like a 2x speed.
3/8/2016 2:37 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 3/8/2016 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 3/8/2016 9:33:00 AM (view original):
Instead of trying to figure out when to leave, how about you instead figure out how to participate in the beta so you can see what is happening and help make it better?
+1 The game itself is not going to change that much. I think we should all go into it with an open mind and as many people as possible, especially the experienced coaches should participate in the BETA testing.
I do agree with this. I just hope we have some choice in which school we are assigned in the beta environment. I would purposely choose some remote location. I just don't want to be randomly given a school and it end up being in downtown Chicago.
3/8/2016 2:54 PM
the previous beta was done to test the game engine. It really shouldn't require as much user input as recruiting may.

There would be no action for a week at a time and then the entire season was simmed at once. You were able to review all the games at the end of the season, but often unable to make changes between games.

With all the down time (you could check your team 6-7 days in a row and nothing had happened, then 2-3 seasons might be run over the next couple days. With not knowing when to check for results, many coaches in the beta world lost interest and really didn't offer much during the testing.
3/8/2016 3:40 PM
Posted by oldwarrior on 3/8/2016 3:40:00 PM (view original):
the previous beta was done to test the game engine. It really shouldn't require as much user input as recruiting may.

There would be no action for a week at a time and then the entire season was simmed at once. You were able to review all the games at the end of the season, but often unable to make changes between games.

With all the down time (you could check your team 6-7 days in a row and nothing had happened, then 2-3 seasons might be run over the next couple days. With not knowing when to check for results, many coaches in the beta world lost interest and really didn't offer much during the testing.
yeh since it's recruiting focused I feel if recruiting took place over 1 day and then just simmed the season the next day or two, just allow coaches to set practice plan/depth chart/team gameplan for the entire season you can see the results of the new recruiting set up within a few weeks.

Since if it was just going to be like 2x speed or something it would take a really long time as if we are focusing on all levels it could need at least 15 seasons at D1 to start to see the full effects
3/8/2016 3:47 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 3/8/2016 3:47:00 PM (view original):

yeh since it's recruiting focused I feel if recruiting took place over 1 day and then just simmed the season the next day or two, just allow coaches to set practice plan/depth chart/team gameplan for the entire season you can see the results of the new recruiting set up within a few weeks.

Since if it was just going to be like 2x speed or something it would take a really long time as if we are focusing on all levels it could need at least 15 seasons at D1 to start to see the full effects
If they are not changing the game engine.. Maybe we don't need to simulate the season at all.. Just do a bunch of full recruiting cycles. I mean, sure they can give one day to set lineups and practice plans. But the key thing to do is have several real recruiting cycles to get feedback.
3/8/2016 4:13 PM

I participated in a beta a very long time ago...it might have been the one that introduced potential,,,and this is what I remember. I'd check in and nothing would happen and then, out of nowhere, a season would pass. I don't think I was able to give them a single piece of input because I really didn't see anything.
3/8/2016 4:27 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 3/8/2016 4:13:00 PM (view original):

If they are not changing the game engine.. Maybe we don't need to simulate the season at all.. Just do a bunch of full recruiting cycles. I mean, sure they can give one day to set lineups and practice plans. But the key thing to do is have several real recruiting cycles to get feedback.
I think the point of simming the season would to be seeing how it affected D1 mostly. D2 and D3 shouldn't really change, maybe it becomes harder to stay a top program or something, but it shouldn't change enough to focus on compared to D1 which supposedly this should help fix the inequality in recruiting
3/8/2016 4:44 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 3/8/2016 4:27:00 PM (view original):

I participated in a beta a very long time ago...it might have been the one that introduced potential,,,and this is what I remember. I'd check in and nothing would happen and then, out of nowhere, a season would pass. I don't think I was able to give them a single piece of input because I really didn't see anything.
this is how i remember it as well...

3/8/2016 5:01 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 3/8/2016 4:13:00 PM (view original):

If the first recruiting period starts during the season and ends at the beginning of the postseason, it probably makes sense to have the games going at the same time. Plus they'll need to test the EE process and how that impacts teams.
3/8/2016 5:03 PM
i sent seble some questions, he had some interesting answers. he posted most of it on the forums himself, about the random signing issue, but here is the rest.
in response to a question about post-release updates -

"This is a huge release, probably the biggest we've ever done for HD since the initial launch. So yes, there will surely be some issues to work out. I'm hoping that user testing will surface as many bugs as possible, but that depends on how engaged the testing group is. It's understandably hard for some testers to spend the time to manage a test team on top of their regular teams.

I fully expect a flurry up patches to go out soon after release, and then probably a few updates over the next few months to address any lingering issues."

and about the topic of EEs and scheduling:

"Early entries declare after the tournament ends, just as they do now. We need to keep that timing because postseason factors into the decision. That would be after the first recruiting period ends, and before the second one begins. Extra money would be allocated when they declare."

and re: is the schedule really longer?

"Now that I look at it, it may not end up being longer, and in fact may be a day shorter. My original schedule was different than what I have in place right now."

so it sounds like he is saying the schedule may actually be shorter, not longer, because the 1st recruiting period happens during the post season. the 2nd recruiting period by itself is probably shorter than recruiting is today.
3/8/2016 7:26 PM
I am going to remain positive and hope for the best.
3/8/2016 8:26 PM
I guess FSS is going away completely then? I really don't enjoy all the levels of discovery just to get to raw numbers on the skills... especially if those raw numbers still don't show potential. Good grief, if I have to depend on scouting visits just to find out a guy stinks.... well that sounds absolutely horrible.

Does anyone remember or know if we'll be able to see large numbers of players potential? It will be really frustrating to spend cash only to discover the player is a dud.

I guess maybe this comment touches on the issue a little bit:

You said your team can host one private camp and there will be "a handful" of public camps any team can attend, and those players will be available to recruit. Are there other ways to make players available to recruit by your team? Can you please list all the ways to make that happen? Thanks. (bistiza - Hall of Famer - 11:49 AM)

The scouting options are: Public camps, Private camps, Scouting Service, and Assistant Coach Trip. The scouting service will work somewhat like the FSS system does now, where you purchase by state. The assistant trip will allow you to set some basic parameters and have your coach go find X number of recruits.

3/8/2016 9:46 PM (edited)
Posted by brianxavier on 3/8/2016 9:46:00 PM (view original):
I guess FSS is going away completely then? I really don't enjoy all the levels of discovery just to get to raw numbers on the skills... especially if those raw numbers still don't show potential. Good grief, if I have to depend on scouting visits just to find out a guy stinks.... well that sounds absolutely horrible.

Does anyone remember or know if we'll be able to see large numbers of players potential? It will be really frustrating to spend cash only to discover the player is a dud.

I guess maybe this comment touches on the issue a little bit:

You said your team can host one private camp and there will be "a handful" of public camps any team can attend, and those players will be available to recruit. Are there other ways to make players available to recruit by your team? Can you please list all the ways to make that happen? Thanks. (bistiza - Hall of Famer - 11:49 AM)

The scouting options are: Public camps, Private camps, Scouting Service, and Assistant Coach Trip. The scouting service will work somewhat like the FSS system does now, where you purchase by state. The assistant trip will allow you to set some basic parameters and have your coach go find X number of recruits.

They will show potential. The whole point of this update is to make it harder to find the information about every single recruit. And to make it so you can get general info first and drill down if you want.

Because recruiting is NOT an exact science. This adds a bit of unknown. Sometimes you will strike out. That does not really happen right now. Right now, you can know exactly how good every recruit can be. Then the guys with the money get all the good recruits. Now, it will be an effort to find the best recruits, some will slip through the cracks.
3/8/2016 9:46 PM
So, the scouting service reveals recruits by state but not any information about the potential of those recruits scouted? I'm just guessing, I don't know. It sounds like the scouting service is the same as the current free basic search (before you buy FSS.) Now you have to pay just to know there are 23 recruits in Alaska, for instance...please tell me I'm wrong.
3/8/2016 10:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15 Next ▸
Reactionary posts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.