Don't Fix What Isn't Broken (Following Dev Chat) Topic

I should also point out that for those who have played many seasons, these "new coach problems" I'm describing don't apply. We were hooked right away. But theres a big group of other coaches who miss out on the best aspects of the game because they just couldn't get in to it. From a business prosperity and longevity standpoint, targeting these folks is the way to go in my opinon.
3/10/2016 7:59 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 3/10/2016 6:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by taniajane on 3/10/2016 4:31:00 PM (view original):
recruiting has been a problem in Div 1 for A LONG time.
The disease impacting DI (IMHO) is prestige. Overhauling the recruiting process is treating a symptom without addressing the underlying condition.
I agree on prestige being an issue, but no one currently playing has any experience with the coming changes to definitively say what it will effect and how. Your simply guessing.
3/11/2016 5:28 AM
Last season, I dropped my team in Crum where I was at Kansas. I am shortly dropping my team in Knight where I have been at Arizona.

Going to try the new product but with a reduced number of teams - just as I would not start a new game with many teams if I found a new game for the first time.
3/11/2016 7:04 AM
The disease impacting DI (IMHO) is prestige. Overhauling the recruiting process is treating a symptom without addressing the underlying condition.
I used that same terminology to describe the exact opposite in another threat. Recruiting is a way bigger part of the game than prestige. Prestige is a single function, recruiting an entire system. Recruiting is the disease for all of HD.
3/11/2016 10:26 AM
Posted by Benis on 3/10/2016 7:59:00 PM (view original):
I should also point out that for those who have played many seasons, these "new coach problems" I'm describing don't apply. We were hooked right away. But theres a big group of other coaches who miss out on the best aspects of the game because they just couldn't get in to it. From a business prosperity and longevity standpoint, targeting these folks is the way to go in my opinon.
Yes! This!
3/11/2016 10:29 AM
Then fix those specific issues - don't mess up what is working in other divisions.

I have teams in all three divisions, but as far as I'm concerned, I could drop the D1 stuff as for the most part D2 and D3 are better (more fun) for me anyway.
3/11/2016 10:39 AM
Posted by Benis on 3/10/2016 5:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 3/10/2016 2:59:00 PM (view original):
It's NOT because recruiting needs a complete overhaul, and THAT is the point.

What they're doing now is trying to solve a problem by fixing something that doesn't need fixing.
I think the in season recruiting change will help with retention. I've had several friends leave after a couple seasons because they were bored during the season.
I never get bored during the season. There are a lot of things you can tweak if you want to remain involved.

My blunt thoughts on that: If you're getting bored during the season, this game probably isn't your thing to begin with and won't be no matter what changes put recruiting wherever in the season.
3/11/2016 10:41 AM
BINGO.

Get rid of baseline prestige and make D1 like D2 and D3 - let the coaches build the programs and whichever ones have prestige are the ones that deserve it.

After all - that's how real life works, i.e. Duke does well because Coach K makes it happen, not just because Duke would be Duke even if I took it over in real life.
3/11/2016 10:42 AM
Posted by taniajane on 3/11/2016 5:28:00 AM (view original):
I agree on prestige being an issue, but no one currently playing has any experience with the coming changes to definitively say what it will effect and how. Your simply guessing.
lol, we are all guessing at this point.
3/11/2016 11:41 AM
Posted by jetwildcat on 3/11/2016 10:26:00 AM (view original):
I used that same terminology to describe the exact opposite in another threat. Recruiting is a way bigger part of the game than prestige. Prestige is a single function, recruiting an entire system. Recruiting is the disease for all of HD.
Causality dilemma. DI has issues. Are the issues caused by the DI recruiting logic, the DI baseline prestige logic, recruit generation, post-season money, firing logic, the RNG, etc.?

Whatever WIS changes, it would be in their best interest to get it right this time.
3/11/2016 11:57 AM
Guess how many non Big 6 teams beat a Big 6 teams in the Wooden NT?
3/11/2016 12:11 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 3/11/2016 11:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jetwildcat on 3/11/2016 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Causality dilemma. DI has issues. Are the issues caused by the DI recruiting logic, the DI baseline prestige logic, recruit generation, post-season money, firing logic, the RNG, etc.?

Whatever WIS changes, it would be in their best interest to get it right this time.
It depends on what you feel is wrong with DI too. If the lack of elite jobs/firings is the biggest issue, than the jobs process is the driver. If you feel DI is too skewed towards the elites, I'd argue that recruit generation and baseline prestige are the drivers there. The postseason money and recruiting mechanism have been the same for the decade or so I've been playing, and it wasn't until recruit generation got changed and prestige was displayed that teams in low or mid major conferences stopped being able to compete.
3/11/2016 12:11 PM
Posted by bistiza on 3/11/2016 10:42:00 AM (view original):
BINGO.

Get rid of baseline prestige and make D1 like D2 and D3 - let the coaches build the programs and whichever ones have prestige are the ones that deserve it.

After all - that's how real life works, i.e. Duke does well because Coach K makes it happen, not just because Duke would be Duke even if I took it over in real life.
+++++1
3/11/2016 2:19 PM

There's a business book called "Who moved my cheese?" DON'T BE A HEM.

Haw suggested “Maybe we should simply stop analyzing the situation so much and go find some new cheese?” However Hem held on to the current cheese (that made him succesful) and didn’t want to change.

Change happens
Anticipate Change
Monitor Change
Adapt to Change quickly
Change
Enjoy change
Be Ready to Change Quickly and Enjoy it Again.

3/11/2016 3:16 PM
Posted by skinndogg on 3/11/2016 3:16:00 PM (view original):

There's a business book called "Who moved my cheese?" DON'T BE A HEM.

Haw suggested “Maybe we should simply stop analyzing the situation so much and go find some new cheese?” However Hem held on to the current cheese (that made him succesful) and didn’t want to change.

Change happens
Anticipate Change
Monitor Change
Adapt to Change quickly
Change
Enjoy change
Be Ready to Change Quickly and Enjoy it Again.

3/11/2016 3:29 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...11 Next ▸
Don't Fix What Isn't Broken (Following Dev Chat) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.