RL- Coaching Carousel Topic

Valparaiso has a men’s coach not named Drew for the first time since 1988. The university said it had promoted the assistant coach Matt Lottich to succeed Bryce Drew, who became the coach at Vanderbilt after following in his father’s and brother’s footsteps by coaching the Crusaders.
4/8/2016 9:41 AM

Barring a last-minute snag in negotiations, Georgia Tech will hire Memphis coach Josh Pastner to replace the fired Brian Gregory, sources told ESPN.

Pastner will owe Memphis $500,000 for leaving the job.

The 38-year-old Pastner took over at Memphis after John Calipari left seven years ago and has taken the Tigers to the NCAA tournament four times. However, Memphis has not played in the postseason the past two years.

Memphis announced last month that it would stick with Pastner, who would have been owed $10.6 million had he been fired

4/8/2016 12:08 PM
Blogger John Gasaway from ESPN Insider wrote:

The Volunteer State creates jobs. Soon Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Memphis will have employed 7 men’s hoops coaches in last 3 calendar years.
4/8/2016 12:13 PM

Stony Brook has hired longtime Ohio State assistant Jeff Boals as its next men's head basketball coach, sources told ESPN on Friday.

Boals has been at Ohio State for the past seven seasons.

4/8/2016 7:25 PM
8 schools remain without a coach: Cornell, Dartmouth, Delaware, Detroit, Memphis, Nicholls St., NJIT, and So. Dakota St. It's crucial that they hire soon because a major recruiting period runs from April 7-20. After that, there's an evaluation period April 15-17 and April 22-24.

I predict that Nicholls St. will be the last team remaining.
4/11/2016 10:50 AM
The Memphis faithful are parading out many of the more common names beginning with Gregg Marshall. Marshall is scheduled to make $3.5 million in Wichita by 2018. Pastner was earning $2.65 million so Memphis has paid at a higher level in the past. I guess it's there duty to make Marshall say no.
Others mentioned are Kermit Davis from Middle Tennessee, Steve Forbes from East Tennessee State, Matt McCall from Chattanooga completes the small school Tennessee Trifecta, Tubby Smith from Texas Tech, Buzz Williams from Va Tech, Jeff Capel, assistant at Duke, and Andy Kennedy from Ole Miss

An interesting name being bandied about is former Tiger star Penny Hardaway. Penny is coaching in a Memphis high school but the Tiger backers are looking to rekindle some of that magic that was achieved in Calipari days. Home attendance last season dipped to under 6,000 per game for Pastner's 14-11 team.
4/11/2016 12:00 PM (edited)
Then there are programs like Detroit which placed this ad:

The University of Detroit Mercy, Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private University, is currently accepting applications for the full-time position of Head Men’s Basketball Coach. UDM is an NCAA Division I institution, and sponsors 19 varsity sports that compete primarily in the Horizon League. For consideration please email a letter of application, resume, and a list of three solid references to: Mike Miller, Associate Athletic Director, at [email protected]
4/11/2016 11:54 AM (edited)
Posted by oldwarrior on 4/11/2016 11:54:00 AM (view original):

The University of Detroit Mercy, Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private University, is currently accepting applications for the full-time position of Head Men’s Basketball Coach. UDM is an NCAA Division I institution, and sponsors 19 varsity sports that compete primarily in the Horizon League. For consideration please email a letter of application, resume, and a list of three solid references to: Mike Miller, Associate Athletic Director, at [email protected]
think i would have a shot based on my hd resume? all i'd need is a couple assistant coaches who did everything, and i could walk around poking the players with a mouse (the computer variety, not the squeaking type). i could probably set up some statistical analysis that would help us understand why we were terrible. the challenge would be in doing anything about that terribleness, thats where the mouse-poking would come in, i presume...
4/11/2016 12:02 PM

What really strikes me as weird about this is that it is a private institution. I think a lot of the public schools need to do this (didn't Wisconsin do it earlier this year) since all state university employees are ultimately state workers; and most public jobs need to be posted and provide an opportunity for anyone to apply.
4/11/2016 12:15 PM
"That's correct Mr. Miller, I've coached up to six teams at a time. With some of the teams playing two games a day."
"And if I'm in a recruiting bind, I just dump some of that shared conference recruiting cash at the kid."

"Yeah. Now about those three SOLID references...."
4/11/2016 12:17 PM
oldwarrior, I may not be a SOLID reference, but I will recommend you
4/11/2016 3:06 PM
my assistant at kansas is michael jordan, i think that recommendation should carry some weight. one time, i coached a kid named robert roberts. imagine how insane mr and mrs roberts were, to give their kid that name - now double it. thats how crazy they really were. but yeah, i made them love me, they sent their kid to play for me. if i could handle two loons like that, you think actual people are gonna be a problem?
4/11/2016 6:12 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/11/2016 6:12:00 PM (view original):
my assistant at kansas is michael jordan, i think that recommendation should carry some weight. one time, i coached a kid named robert roberts. imagine how insane mr and mrs roberts were, to give their kid that name - now double it. thats how crazy they really were. but yeah, i made them love me, they sent their kid to play for me. if i could handle two loons like that, you think actual people are gonna be a problem?
I can't tell if you guys are being 4real or sarcastic I think Gillispie actually wants this job....
4/11/2016 6:18 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 4/11/2016 6:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/11/2016 6:12:00 PM (view original):
I can't tell if you guys are being 4real or sarcastic I think Gillispie actually wants this job....
OMG, I can't tell if you are 4real or pulling our legs.
4/11/2016 9:17 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/11/2016 12:02:00 PM (view original):

The University of Detroit Mercy, Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private University, is currently accepting applications for the full-time position of Head Men’s Basketball Coach. UDM is an NCAA Division I institution, and sponsors 19 varsity sports that compete primarily in the Horizon League. For consideration please email a letter of application, resume, and a list of three solid references to: Mike Miller, Associate Athletic Director, at
think i would have a shot based on my hd resume? all i'd need is a couple assistant coaches who did everything, and i could walk around poking the players with a mouse (the computer variety, not the squeaking type). i could probably set up some statistical analysis that would help us understand why we were terrible. the challenge would be in doing anything about that terribleness, thats where the mouse-poking would come in, i presume...
I am sure I can whip up some kind of official looking recommendation...do I get to be one of the assistants? I've been practicing...
4/12/2016 6:54 AM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...15 Next ▸
RL- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.