4-guard offense: Fastbreak vs. Flex Topic

If I wanted to have an offense in which I essentially had 3 guards with high speed and high Per and a PF that essentially looked like an SF with decent BH/P and very high Per (80+), which offense would be better suited for this team? Is the answer the same if you wanted to take 80% of shots from 3? If you were able to build depth and have 2 guys at the PG-PF spot with high speed and 85+ per, would fast-break be a better offense than flex?
3/31/2016 4:11 PM
Fast break gets you more shots, Flex gives you a better FG%. I actually have two teams built this way and the flex one is currently doing better. I am not sure if it's better players, better system or the stamina issue that goes with Fastbreak.
3/31/2016 4:22 PM
Flex:
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=7502
3/31/2016 4:23 PM
Fastbreak:

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Stats.aspx?tid=13581
3/31/2016 4:25 PM
i mean I wouldn't say those are the best examples though both are still rebuilding?

I think qb4suf is a good example of high level teams however he only runs fastbreak and motion with high speed guards.

All my high speed teams are motion, so I can't help either.

psmith17 always has high speed guards on his team in Tark but they are a man defense, they do run a flex.

piman314 has a flex/press Phelan team that is always high speed.

I would agree with tj on the fb is more shots and flex is better FG% from my limited expereince in both, I had a flex team at D2 that had a PF with 60 spd and 97 LP which was a lot of fun as well as a D1 fastbreak team where my 3 shooting has been really nice.

Personally if this was D3 I'd go fastbreak for this type of team set-up anything higher I'd lean towards Flex/Motion
3/31/2016 4:46 PM
Flex
3/31/2016 5:02 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/31/2016 4:22:00 PM (view original):
Fast break gets you more shots, Flex gives you a better FG%. I actually have two teams built this way and the flex one is currently doing better. I am not sure if it's better players, better system or the stamina issue that goes with Fastbreak.
Are you saying the fastbreak gets more shots because of being a better offensive rebounding team from beating the other team down the floor? Or just because it's more uptempo? I've found that fastbreak teams do rebound slightly better on the offensive glass.
3/31/2016 10:13 PM
If you're going with speed and perimeter shooting, I would definitely go with flex over fastbreak. It's not the easiest thing to find the right parts to put a good fastbreak team together at D-1. Normally you need a good mix of athleticism and speed. Some have said LP is important in a fastbreak, still trying to make sense of that one. From my experience high IQ is very important, possibly more important than all the other offenses in a fastbreak. Also, if you're playing at that pace, you would think ballhandling and passing would be important. And for obvious reasons, stamina as well.
3/31/2016 10:18 PM (edited)
Posted by thewizard17 on 3/31/2016 10:13:00 PM (view original):
Are you saying the fastbreak gets more shots because of being a better offensive rebounding team from beating the other team down the floor? Or just because it's more uptempo? I've found that fastbreak teams do rebound slightly better on the offensive glass.
Tempo....my fastbreak teams take about 5% more shots a game (not adjusted for FT's, tempo setting,or anything really). I haven't noticed the OReb advantage for FB but I'll start looking at it.
3/31/2016 10:28 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/31/2016 10:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 3/31/2016 10:13:00 PM (view original):
Tempo....my fastbreak teams take about 5% more shots a game (not adjusted for FT's, tempo setting,or anything really). I haven't noticed the OReb advantage for FB but I'll start looking at it.
You get more possessions in a game based upon tempo and so does your opponent.

But when you say shots, you mean FGAs right? I'd think that FB would give you less FGAs because more of your possessions are ending in FTAs. In that line of thinking, it seems like I'd expect more FGAs running uptempo Flex than running normal FB (and maybe even uptempo FB). Has anyone ever done the math on tempo and what that means for average possession duration?
3/31/2016 10:40 PM
1. I think Fastbreak just goes faster than the other sets. You shoot quicker.

2. If you're chucking up 3's you get fouled less. I was talking about FGA's though. I don't really know how to factor in FTA's and TO to calculate pure possessions.

3. This statement "In that line of thinking, it seems like I'd expect more FGAs running uptempo Flex than running normal FB (and maybe even uptempo FB).' is not what I have observed.
3/31/2016 10:56 PM
I'm on my phone now but tomorrow I'll use my sheet to dig a little more into possessions for fb vs others. But I did quickly look at some teams and my FGAs in a game when I'm running uptempo Flex is very similar to uptempo fb. The difference is that I took more FTAs which indicates more possessions. But this isn't considering turnovers and rebounding so I need to look at it more.

So basically, to your first point "you shoot quicker" may not necessarily be technically true. Your possession just ends quicker. It could be from a shot, FTA or a turnover.
3/31/2016 11:10 PM
You shoot, turn it over or get fouled shooting quicker.....
3/31/2016 11:15 PM
In FB your team is LOOKING to shoot quicker. Basically the same as running uptempo vs slowdown. But inherently in the offensive system of FB, you get fouled more. Therefore you're going to shoot more FTs. So all things being considered equal in terms of turnovers and rebounds, you will have a higher ratio of FTA to FGAs in FB.

Let's say team 1 has 80 possessions. They could have 40 FGAs and 50 FTAs.
Team 2 has only 70 possessions. They have 50 FGAs and 30 FTAs.

So team 1 played faster but took less FGAs.

And yes of course, we don't know the nature of how they got to the FT line, were they shooting fouls or just in the bonus but I think the scenario still.makes sense.
3/31/2016 11:32 PM
Just for reference, a decent calculation for possessions used for an individual player is FGA+TOV+.47*FTA. If you want to do a whole team's possessions, FGA+TOV+.47FTA-OREB.
4/1/2016 12:57 PM
123 Next ▸
4-guard offense: Fastbreak vs. Flex Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.