Whats the best approach to Redshirting a freshman? The advantages and Disadvantages to redshirting on WIS? I have a freshman PG that will not get much playing time and I want to Redshirt him 1 year but I wasn't sure if it will hurt my roster. I have 2 walk on, which will hurt my practices and limit me to 9 players on game day.

Any advice will help.

Thanks
4/12/2016 6:44 PM
The benefit of redshirting is you get a season of extra development, which can be very useful since it means the guy might play most of his junior and senior seasons at A+ IQ. It's also nice for guys who start in the low 20s in PER or LP but have high-high ratings as it gives those a chance to climb nicely while the player still has games left in his career and without you needed to short-sell development in other areas.

The down side is that, with 9, you'll probably be playing slowdown the whole season. Your opponents will likely go uptempo all season and unless you're in a zone defense, you'll probably get stuck on depth/fatigue at some point during the season. The stamina ratings of the other 9 will also be something to give a good look at.

If you're not planning on contending this season, then I'd say go for the redshirt and start planning for the future.
4/12/2016 6:49 PM
Posted by rednu on 4/12/2016 6:49:00 PM (view original):
The benefit of redshirting is you get a season of extra development, which can be very useful since it means the guy might play most of his junior and senior seasons at A+ IQ. It's also nice for guys who start in the low 20s in PER or LP but have high-high ratings as it gives those a chance to climb nicely while the player still has games left in his career and without you needed to short-sell development in other areas.

The down side is that, with 9, you'll probably be playing slowdown the whole season. Your opponents will likely go uptempo all season and unless you're in a zone defense, you'll probably get stuck on depth/fatigue at some point during the season. The stamina ratings of the other 9 will also be something to give a good look at.

If you're not planning on contending this season, then I'd say go for the redshirt and start planning for the future.
"planning for the future" Always plan for the future the future is the most important aspect of your career.
4/12/2016 6:54 PM
That is very helpful and I will look at the rest of my stamina. Will effect my prestige or anything on the game management end?
4/12/2016 7:08 PM
Looks like that team has IQs for zone. If you are planning on keeping zone you will have no problem with 9. Well, as long as 3 of them, are pf/c and maybe one other player could swing between the 3 and 4.

it won't effect prestige or game management otherwise. Prestige is based on success only in DII and DII
4/12/2016 7:17 PM
Sounds great. Last question I have, will the Redshirted player want to leave or be effected negatively in any way?
4/12/2016 7:32 PM
Posted by MoneyShot21 on 4/12/2016 7:32:00 PM (view original):
Sounds great. Last question I have, will the Redshirted player want to leave or be effected negatively in any way?
It I possible that he could take it negatively and drop in Work Ethic, but I would say that is highly unlikely for a freshman to react that way unless you promised minutes and/or start, I have never had a freshman take it negatively. If he does take it negatively you can just remove it and he will go right back up.
4/12/2016 7:46 PM
Which guy are you looking at Redshirting, you want to redshirt the player that you think is going to be the best down the line, I don't know the potential but Hager looks like he is best player Currently, if he has some potential left in DE, ATH, and REB
4/12/2016 7:52 PM
Quick update, I was thinking Ott, because I have two really strong gaurds and my assit. Coach recruited him. He emailed me stating he was upset in my decision and his WE decreased from 50 to 25. I was thinking Hagar but I could use him more underneath in the zone sharing time with my other freshman center. Thanks everybody for the help.
4/12/2016 11:08 PM
Fyi- if you take the RS off Ott his WE will go back to 50. I think you should do that. That's a lot of WE to lose.
4/13/2016 5:54 AM
The other case for redshirting is a low we with good potential. You get some development in rating but just as importantly in iq, then you can perhaps start him four years straight without as much pain and get both we and ratings to climb.
4/13/2016 6:16 AM
Posted by arssanguinus on 4/13/2016 6:16:00 AM (view original):
The other case for redshirting is a low we with good potential. You get some development in rating but just as importantly in iq, then you can perhaps start him four years straight without as much pain and get both we and ratings to climb.
That's what I like to do. Give those lazy bums something to think about while riding the pine for an entire season.
4/13/2016 9:03 AM
What is the advantage, if any, to informing a recruit of a pending redshirt during recruiting? Wouldn't it just be better to wait until they sign?
4/13/2016 10:18 AM
Posted by tgblackw on 4/13/2016 10:18:00 AM (view original):
What is the advantage, if any, to informing a recruit of a pending redshirt during recruiting? Wouldn't it just be better to wait until they sign?
It will guarantee the recruit accepts the RS without a WE drop. It's especially helpful for Juco's since they will typically not be okay with being redshirted. You can offset the negative effort of the informing of redshirt with a couple HVs.
4/13/2016 10:56 AM
Posted by tgblackw on 4/13/2016 10:18:00 AM (view original):
It insures that they will take it, if you inform and give a home visit or two along with it then the negative effect of informing the redshirt will be canceled out. If you plan on Redshirting a sophomore, Junior, or Senior then you must inform of redshirt, they will not take it otherwise. For freshman I don't inform of redshirt, I might if I have some extra money and a extremely young team.
4/13/2016 11:00 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.