Off hand does anyone know of any coaches out there running combo defenses...successfully??
5/14/2016 12:52 AM
slider4480 does with his Ashland team, he's in my conference in D2 Phelen

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/IQ.aspx?tid=14113

thats a link to his IQ page, it's all over the place, but that's because he has recruited a lot of juco's recently. I think he is going to run break/man-press, but I can't be sure.

He he has been consistantly getting to the NT and sometimes he wins some games, last season he was #1 in the country for a good period of time, but he had some bad luck in the NT.
5/14/2016 8:19 AM
Check that, I think it is flex/man-press
5/14/2016 8:22 AM
Coach 'phalla' is probably the best I've seen-multiple titles with his press/zone combo.
5/14/2016 9:15 AM
barrettchap has made back to back championship games in Allen-D2 running press/zone
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/History.aspx?tid=7209
5/14/2016 9:28 AM
I wonder how much time is dedicated and when; perhaps always changing practice plan.
5/14/2016 10:50 AM
i won 2 titles and 2 runner ups in 5 years, a while back, running zone OR press - so i can't say its totally useless. i played a bit of hcp/zone including for one of those titles, but really, hcp is crap. i think for the vast majority of successful hcp coaches, they are succeeding in spite of the hcp. its just a garbage proposition. in high d1, you can spare minutes, as you can get recruits who are pretty high on the ratings to start - so its not so bad to mess around there, like it is in the lower divisions. but mostly, i just did it because i was bored, i had no teams, and i was afraid to pick up a team and not try something new, and get burnt out again. so i decided to play zone OR press. but it was the OR that i cared about - let me take gambles in recruiting, and play zone, or when i was deep, run press. that was nice. the hcp part, its damn near useless, it causes a very noticeable impact on fatigue, while forcing a very small amount of additional turnovers, maybe 1/game, maybe less. CS has said the hcp only factors in 20% of the possessions, but the fatigue impact is way bigger, so i am guessing they mean you can only get a turnover on 20% of the possessions, and you probably get less benefit than running press full court, which nets you like 7-8 TO/s game if run well. so that math would suggest 1 TO/game or less fits the model. just a crappy proposition, i really don't recommend it to anyone, ever. unless you are really bored...
5/16/2016 7:48 PM
Funny this has come up. I'm trying to do the hcp-zone thing now - but after that rousing introduction I may need to reconsider my plans.
5/17/2016 1:40 PM
running press-zone at Chaminade now, mostly out of boredom. Love the many, many options it offers me on D.

Also nice to do in Hawaii, where recruiting is a bit of a crapshoot, and I have to make do with some non-defenders on occasion.
5/17/2016 2:16 PM
Posted by wronoj on 5/17/2016 2:17:00 PM (view original):
running press-zone at Chaminade now, mostly out of boredom. Love the many, many options it offers me on D.

Also nice to do in Hawaii, where recruiting is a bit of a crapshoot, and I have to make do with some non-defenders on occasion.
do you hybrid or do you play like gillespie?
5/17/2016 2:18 PM
gillispie--
5/17/2016 2:19 PM
Posted by rednation58 on 5/17/2016 2:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wronoj on 5/17/2016 2:17:00 PM (view original):

do you hybrid or do you play like gillespie?
I do hybrid sometimes, but against good teams it's almost always better to make a choice and go for it. My d-2 conference is half SIMs, so I end up with a lot of HCP/3-2 +1, but would probably be better off just picking if I were always optimizing.

It's also nice to have a decent Press in your arsenal for late-game situations.
5/18/2016 8:33 AM
This concept just made the game that much more fun for me. Thanks.
5/18/2016 10:09 AM
I might run a Triangle/zone/press with my big lineup.I don't know what i'm going to do when i'm playing the big lineup but playing a 3-2 zone seems really good with all bigs espiecelly if they have a good amount of shot blocking. I think i'm going to hold off changing the structure untill I test out my bigs lineup and switch offense that way it won't hurt at all.

Playing a 3-2 zone +5 seems like a good idea. This is later down the road. I have already changed my offense from motion to fastbreak and defense to press. For the upcoming generation of students here at Chowan. After my first class graduates is when i'm going to start recruting all gaurd lineup.
5/18/2016 3:36 PM
I agree the only reason I'm trying it is because I'm bored. Nobody has mentioned HCP/MAN, is there a reason??
5/19/2016 4:25 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.