Target Minutes vs. Fatigue Topic

I have always been under the impression that Fatigue Bueno, Target Minutes No Bueno. However last season I had a ton of freshman with guaranteed minutes and starts so I tried target minutes. It did pretty well..Discuss and contemplate please.
7/17/2016 10:30 AM
There are a ton of threads on this. I use target minutes from time to time. The trick I've found is that you can run both exhibitions on fairly fresh, to have some sense of what substitutions you will get, then use that as a baseline to set target minutes to meet promises, whatever.

The best results are achieved by assigning your "max" to less than ~210 minutes. That seems to get better substitutions. All the same, when I'm about to face a pressing team, I often turn it off. Fouls and fatigue issues can louse up an otherwise decent chance at winning with poor substitutions.
7/17/2016 11:57 AM (edited)
I only use target minutes.
7/17/2016 12:48 PM
I've only tried target minutes for two seasons and ran into the same big problems both times. First, the sim throws fatigue out the window and will let guys play that are exhausted. If you have a guy set to 20 minutes and he picks up 2 quick fouls in the first half the engine will basically keep him on the floor the entire 2nd half in order to hit his desired minutes. Second, you usually don't get your desired lineup on the court at the end of the game because the sim will leave guys out there that need to hit their target minutes. As Rogelio said you can mitigate some of this by under-setting your minutes. In the end, 99.9% of the top coaches in this game use fatigue and there's a reason why.
7/17/2016 3:26 PM
don't insult beachhouse darnoc, he has a specific strategy of not recruiting guards and using target minutes to win all those games at the job he stays at for a long time...
7/17/2016 4:38 PM
I don't think there are any elite coaches in this game that consistently run target minutes. Speaking for me personally, the amount of times you should run it are absolutely never, but again that's just me.
7/17/2016 4:41 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 7/17/2016 3:26:00 PM (view original):
I've only tried target minutes for two seasons and ran into the same big problems both times. First, the sim throws fatigue out the window and will let guys play that are exhausted. If you have a guy set to 20 minutes and he picks up 2 quick fouls in the first half the engine will basically keep him on the floor the entire 2nd half in order to hit his desired minutes. Second, you usually don't get your desired lineup on the court at the end of the game because the sim will leave guys out there that need to hit their target minutes. As Rogelio said you can mitigate some of this by under-setting your minutes. In the end, 99.9% of the top coaches in this game use fatigue and there's a reason why.
Yep, the biggest Achilles heel of target minutes is players playing themselves into the ground in the second half in an effort to hit their target if they get in quick foul/injury trouble in the first half. I used target minutes when I started the game. When I took my second team I ran them on fatigue just so I could learn both systems. Within two seasons, my original team was switched to fatigue.

That said, I don't think there's anything you can do in one that you can't accomplish with the other via depth chart and leave in longer/take out quicker settings and a little experimentation.
7/17/2016 10:00 PM
target minutes can be necessary when one makes a promise that is hard to keep - usually, you can manipulate the depth chart in fatigue setting to get the promise kept without the bad side effects

If I promised a start and ten minutes to a kid, I would probably go target mins for much of the regular season to meet the promise
7/17/2016 11:23 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/17/2016 4:39:00 PM (view original):
don't insult beachhouse darnoc, he has a specific strategy of not recruiting guards and using target minutes to win all those games at the job he stays at for a long time...
Aren't you leaving?
7/18/2016 6:37 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/17/2016 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Rupp, seven seasons, same team.
Knight, fourteen seasons, all one team
Iba, eleven seasons, all one team.

but you know best buddy. You're always here to insert your two cents while in the end looking foolish.
7/18/2016 1:12 PM (edited)
5 teams in 9 seasons in Tark :P

Also it's here not hear :)

Foolish man

Not that I really care just teasing you, please don't report me for that like you did colonels
7/18/2016 12:32 PM
I was going to leave Tark each time lol, then I was like 'maybe I'll keep going but switch it up'
7/18/2016 1:17 PM
Target Minutes vs. Fatigue Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.