Dropping teams as nu game approaches Topic

If you are on the computer 24/7 for recruiting you must be doing something wrong
8/11/2016 9:03 AM
despite a $7000 carryover in our recruiting budget, I just dropped Stanford in Wooden. Cant handle and not interested in handling more than Maryland in Naismith, the original world, now that nuHD is upon us.

painful to waste that carefully nurtured carryover.
8/11/2016 9:19 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 8/11/2016 7:47:00 AM (view original):
Spud - when you say the beta doesnt take vastly more time than does scouting in the existing game, I see two possibilities

1. Your approach to scouting in the existing game is rather inefficient, taking a lot more time than needed. That is fully understandable given your limited experience. With the use of FSS, filters and experience in looking at players for roles on one's roster, a thorough job of scouting at the DI level is doable now in 20-30 minutes.

2. Your standard of adequate scouting in the beta is lower than the level to which I aspire. I have tried in the beta to get close to the thoroughness of scouting that I pursue in the existing game. With much more effort than normal, I dont feel that I have been even close to as thorough in searching for diamonds in the rough, the players who can develop and surprise over four year careers. That has been real fun for me in scouting - finding guys who go unappreciated who can round out classes and rosters.

But, you may well be right, for you the beta may take the same or not much more time and effort for scouting than your level of effort in the old game. To each his own.

My experience and conclusion is unambiguous, it took me a ton more effort to do less thorough work.
Bingo on finding diamonds in the rough. You basically just get what is given to you.

But, and I think this is a huge but for D3, do I need to find these diamonds in the rough anymore? I can get D1 and D2 guys now. Pretty easily.
8/11/2016 9:20 AM
Maryland will be available in Rupp. After 47 seasons at Maryland, I'm hanging up the clipboard. 2 titles and 3 other trips to the championship game. A total of 7 trips to the final four. Big ceremony tonight at Xfinity center. The fans didnt seem to understand when I mentioned the beta.

1724 DI wins, leaving as the leader.

It has been fun, but the new game requires me to cut down if not out.
8/11/2016 9:33 AM
Posted by ettaxpress on 8/11/2016 9:03:00 AM (view original):
If you are on the computer 24/7 for recruiting you must be doing something wrong
Why are you back? You don't even have any "active" teams...
8/11/2016 9:36 AM
I like just about everything that has been added to the new recruiting system. Scouting is more in depth in my opinion and you can find some real diamonds in the rough. In beta I found guys routinely overlooked by D1 coaches that could be developed into good starters by year 3 or 4. They started out appearing to be C in the athleticism category, so I suspect they were often dismissed by D1 coaches. A good number of those preliminary C guys turned out to be B in athleticism and were green for growth potential. Of those guys, there were more than a few that were green in other attributes to make them worthy of developmental recruits for many D1 schools. This is where effort pays off for those who are willing to put in that effort. And time is not an issue, as scouting takes place over the first part of the season, so you have days/weeks to scout whenever you want to.
8/11/2016 9:53 AM
Anyone thought of starting a petition?
8/11/2016 2:22 PM
Posted by kubasnack on 8/11/2016 6:24:00 AM (view original):
Well, I have enjoyed the BETA. IT Takes a whole lot less time to scout and recruit and I like the fact I don't have to be at my computer 24/7 for 3 days to recruit and sign guys. It is taking less time, not more for me. I have 2 teams now plus a BETA and may be adding teams. I like the new interface, its mobile friendly which is what everyone was begging for until it happened then a bunch of "I can't take change" people cried about it. It makes it easy to log in on my phone, check my recruits during signings and make any adjustments I need. I also like the fact that if you put the effort in on a recruit, you still can sign them. For those of you worried about parity, you got your wish. The last changes made really made recruiting way easier for top D1 conferences/teams to win the recruit. Many people in this thread cut teams way before the BETA was even being tested and quit the BETA test. You can't honestly say you even gave it a chance. Just about every vote taken during BETA testing went against the "experienced" coaches, those are the ones that have all those teams and want almost everything to stay the same.
I ran the changes by my nephew and a few of his college friends and they really like them and will be giving the game a try when it releases. It also sounds like WIS will be throwing some marketing at the game and I would expect that initially, all those coaches riding their "free" credit highway will cut some teams because now they won't be guaranteed free seasons but that is what WIS wants anyway, paying customers. In the long run, I think you will see new coaches come on, find the game mobile friendly and interesting, and stick around.

For those of you who didn't see this change coming, you need to only look at two things:
The number one complaint of current coaches was that the game was not mobile friendly, HD 3.0 solves that.
The number one issue was a poor retention rate of new coaches. A host of reasons fit that. The game was not mobile friendly, the recruiting process made you feel you couldn't recruit anyone good against the best coaches, and even at DIII, it was impossible to even feel you can compete against the great teams. Today's youth want some instant gratification. HD 3.0 solves that by letting any team with effort at least get on the recruit's considered list (though with recent changes, very little chance of signing them), reduces the short "full time" commitment to recruiting by putting more emphasis on scouting all season and its really mobile friendly.
Darn good post, kuba. Good summary.

fd, you missed the most obvious possibility of all: that the beta doesn't take vastly more time than does scouting in the existing game, and it is spread out so that you can do it at your convenience.
8/11/2016 2:42 PM
yeh this isn't a game this is serious business, spend time or leave complaining that the sky is falling, you are just afraid of real talent showing
8/11/2016 3:04 PM
Kuba - I think you are sadly mistaken if you think the added complexity of scouting/recruiting will increase new user retention.

I think that is the biggest WEAKNESS of this new version.
8/11/2016 4:38 PM
"fd, you missed the most obvious possibility of all: that the beta doesn't take vastly more time than does scouting in the existing game, and it is spread out so that you can do it at your convenience".

I didnt miss it, I explained why that could reasonably be your experience and not mine. I'm rather efficient at scouting in the old game. The game bars efficiency.

We can each have our respective experiences - mine leads me to cut back and likely stop playing. If the scouting experience is positive for you, all the best
8/11/2016 6:37 PM
I'm cutting one team in two seasons only because I won't have any openings to recruit the first season on the new version. My last two teams will play until I am out of free credits which will probably be in 6-8 seasons for each. Then it is HD retirement for me.
8/11/2016 10:30 PM
Midwestern State in D3 Phelan will be available next season. This is my only team and I am leaving because of 3.0.

8/13/2016 11:41 AM
I'm actually considering a return to HD after a year away. 3.0 has me intrigued. Might give it a try. I left because I honestly thought a change like this would never come.
8/13/2016 2:15 PM
Posted by creilmann on 8/13/2016 2:15:00 PM (view original):
I'm actually considering a return to HD after a year away. 3.0 has me intrigued. Might give it a try. I left because I honestly thought a change like this would never come.
Hey creilmann - great to hear - sitemail me if you have any questions, but most are covered in a thread about the new game that should be pretty recent. I hope a lot of the old coaches will come back.
8/13/2016 2:23 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸
Dropping teams as nu game approaches Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.