Most efficent offense/defense @div2? Topic

Posted by nachopuzzle on 8/2/2016 2:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/2/2016 9:12:00 AM (view original):
What is the real question, nacho?
Now that I see people are still sincerely trying to help him, what I was going to say would sound extremely snarky and mean in comparison. But the upshot of it was that he does not actually care about the answers that anybody gives him, just the validation he receives from people having responded to him.
Exactly. A wise one you are Nacho-san.
8/2/2016 3:00 PM
Now that I see people are still sincerely trying to help him, what I was going to say would sound extremely snarky and mean in comparison. But the upshot of it was that he does not actually care about the answers that anybody gives him, just the validation he receives from people having responded to him.
OK, I get it. I haven't followed the regular forums much since the beta started so I had no idea.
8/2/2016 3:01 PM
Posted by dcy0827 on 8/2/2016 3:00:00 PM (view original):
Exactly. A wise one you are Nacho-san.
hahaha, thanks, that has a great ring to it.
8/2/2016 3:25 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/2/2016 3:01:00 PM (view original):
OK, I get it. I haven't followed the regular forums much since the beta started so I had no idea.
yeah, I just did a quick scroll of the forums and found at least three threads he started in which he either solicited or was given advice about using different off/def sets at DII. Not to mention that top-notch coaches have helped mentor him in the past. So, he's either forgot or ignored a whole trove of information.

In a way, these threads kinda take on a certain "he who shall not be named" quality because even throughout all the ruckus there is still a ton of great information that gets offered up. So its not a waste of time whatsoever to have them, in my opinion. However, there is something that really irks me about somebody using the forums as almost purely a means of getting some type of positive reinforcement. And weirdly its almost like he uses this place like an extension of his other social media platforms...were people reading and replying to his posts fulfills the same validating function that comes from having been 're-tweeted' or got a 'like' on facebook.
8/2/2016 3:43 PM

who knows, we just know the answer is 42
8/2/2016 5:32 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/2/2016 5:32:00 PM (view original):

I got something better than 42.... 24!
8/2/2016 5:41 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 8/2/2016 2:30:00 AM (view original):
What are the most efficent offense and defense at division 2? I am contemplating changing class structure and offense and defense once I am in a rebuild.
this is what my asst coach explained to me when i applied for my 1st job in hd..i'd listen to my asst coach..
"Anyway I'm sure in the interview they told you that we finished last season running a triangle offense and 2-3 zone defense but obviously we stunk as coaches or we don't have the right types of kids for those styles. I'm going with option #2. Let me know after you've had a chance to review the roster and tapes what kind of offense you think works best for us and I'll start preparing."
8/2/2016 5:52 PM
Posted by rogelio on 8/2/2016 2:38:00 PM (view original):
Wardo...You've done a decent job with Miles to this point. Why are you hellbent on sabotaging it? Focus on the following:
  1. Practice minutes. You have guys losing ratings in core categories. Not good. 60% of this game is recruiting; 30% is developing your players properly; 10% is gameplanning...and that may be overstating gameplanning's role.
  2. Team settings...why are you playing +5 all the time? Try basing your setting on your opponents tendencies. That will call for a lot more -2 or 0, than +5.
  3. End of game...you need to look at your team and realize that you could be playing combo press/man at the end of games when losing. No one on that team has worse than a C- Press IQ. That's an advantage that you are not using. Make sure those end of game settings are set to actually apply in time to make a difference (i.e. not the default "losing by 10 with 3 minutes left"...that's just garbage time).
Question...[Morpheus voice]..."do you think your players are ever actually making a triangle cut?" Next season, Miles will return 4 guys that you could start. Why are you already quitting on this season and next? Properly run, that team makes the postseason in both. Why wouldn't you want to do that?

[Edit: Oh yeah! You're letting a bunch of guys that CANNOT SHOOT, shoot from range. Why? You have only 1 player that can shoot 3s. If you set Morris & Johnson to -1, that would be acceptable, everyone else should be set to -2 to keep them from wasting possessions. That would also help you win...if you're interested.]
60% recruiting, 30% developing your players, 10% game planning... what about setting up your team? scheduling?

i unquestionably over-complicate the situation, but i break the game down into a number of aspects...
- recruiting mechanics
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- player evaluation
- team planning (deciding what players / roles you should be recruiting, based on what you think the overall team should look like)
- vision building (enhancing your team planning skills - improving your answer to the question, what makes a great / optimal team?)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- team setup (base, opponent-agnostic plan)
- game planning
- practice planning

- scheduling
- misc (random minor skills like deciding to redshirt or not)

i draw the lines because recruiting mechanics is basically its own thing. the skills in the middle are hugely important both during recruiting and during the season, they impact who you recruit as well as how you play your team. you basically have a cycle between the middle skills and the bottom ones (team setup / game planning) - you use your team planning skills to come up with your team setup, and through observing the success of your team, and combinations of team setups/game planning, you hopefully enhance your understanding of what makes a team or player good. i don't really have a category for "improving your understanding of what makes a player good" because it is so situational, to me a complete vision for a team includes what kinds of players you want (roles) and what makes players good for those roles - for the system you are building the vision for. you could and experienced coaches should/do have different team visions and player evaluation criteria for different systems.

it might seem weird to break it out as i do in the above, but the reality is, every single line item is one that deserves explicit focus, for the ultra-hungry coach. you could go through life just recruiting decent players and slapping them together, and not really get any better. similarly, you can (and many good coaches do) have a good understanding of what a good team looks like, and how to play them well, and go on being successful, without really raising your ceiling - because you might miss the all-important step of reflecting on the success of your approach, on what you can tweak to build a better club (vision building). you naturally will do some vision building simply by working at building a team, but i used to spend a lot of time, and even have in recent times when i tried to re-gear up, just reflecting on the season as a whole, going back and looking at some game results and seasonal outcomes from recent seasons, trying to understand where we succeeded and where we failed. that step is the essence of vision building, which i think is the most abstract of the items in that list.

anyway, in terms of %s, i lump some things together, but i would ROUGHLY call it something like this:
player eval / team planning / vision building - 40%
recruiting mechanics - 25%
team setup / game planning - 20%
practice planning - 15%
scheduling - 15%
misc - 5%

man. screw this. that is way more than 100% but i can't justify putting anything lower. the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and i think about it, where would you be if you sucked at X, and in that sense, all these things are big. so, that is why the total is high. one coach can have a substantially better team but set it up poorly and pull an 8 seed to the other guy who over achieves and pulls a 4, it happens all the time. one coach can suck at recruiting mechanics and that creates a ceiling which you basically cannot overcome. scheduling i started at 20% because single-season success for a lot of teams, would be massively higher if they just scheduled properly. my total there is 120% so if you cut everything by about 20% you'd get something that sums to 100%, but i feel like it would understate the importance of every item ;) at least its better than when i started, i was around 150%. uhg. the problem is like *just* really ****** scheduling (not doing it) will totally destroy the entire season. not practice planning or being horrible at it totally destroys you. but if you don't have skills in the top 3 items, you are even MORE royally screwed. so its hard. i give up.
8/2/2016 5:53 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/2/2016 5:32:00 PM (view original):

...and never forget to bring your towel
8/2/2016 6:23 PM
Wardo...You've done a decent job with Miles to this point. Why are you hellbent on sabotaging it? Focus on the following:
  1. Practice minutes. You have guys losing ratings in core categories. Not good. 60% of this game is recruiting; 30% is developing your players properly; 10% is gameplanning...and that may be overstating gameplanning's role.
  2. Team settings...why are you playing +5 all the time? Try basing your setting on your opponents tendencies. That will call for a lot more -2 or 0, than +5.
  3. End of game...you need to look at your team and realize that you could be playing combo press/man at the end of games when losing. No one on that team has worse than a C- Press IQ. That's an advantage that you are not using. Make sure those end of game settings are set to actually apply in time to make a difference (i.e. not the default "losing by 10 with 3 minutes left"...that's just garbage time).
Question...[Morpheus voice]..."do you think your players are ever actually making a triangle cut?" Next season, Miles will return 4 guys that you could start. Why are you already quitting on this season and next? Properly run, that team makes the postseason in both. Why wouldn't you want to do that?

[Edit: Oh yeah! You're letting a bunch of guys that CANNOT SHOOT, shoot from range. Why? You have only 1 player that can shoot 3s. If you set Morris & Johnson to -1, that would be acceptable, everyone else should be set to -2 to keep them from wasting possessions. That would also help you win...if you're interested.]
I have it set on half court press/man at end of games. I am letting the game engine decide who shoots who not at 3 point setting of 0. I go plus 5 because I want to take away the three and half the time the sims shoots alot of threes. I'll change my team practice settings next season I don't want to change alot of what I did in the past all at one time.
8/2/2016 7:06 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/2/2016 5:53:00 PM (view original):

60% recruiting, 30% developing your players, 10% game planning... what about setting up your team? scheduling?

i unquestionably over-complicate the situation, but i break the game down into a number of aspects...
- recruiting mechanics
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- player evaluation
- team planning (deciding what players / roles you should be recruiting, based on what you think the overall team should look like)
- vision building (enhancing your team planning skills - improving your answer to the question, what makes a great / optimal team?)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- team setup (base, opponent-agnostic plan)
- game planning
- practice planning

- scheduling
- misc (random minor skills like deciding to redshirt or not)

i draw the lines because recruiting mechanics is basically its own thing. the skills in the middle are hugely important both during recruiting and during the season, they impact who you recruit as well as how you play your team. you basically have a cycle between the middle skills and the bottom ones (team setup / game planning) - you use your team planning skills to come up with your team setup, and through observing the success of your team, and combinations of team setups/game planning, you hopefully enhance your understanding of what makes a team or player good. i don't really have a category for "improving your understanding of what makes a player good" because it is so situational, to me a complete vision for a team includes what kinds of players you want (roles) and what makes players good for those roles - for the system you are building the vision for. you could and experienced coaches should/do have different team visions and player evaluation criteria for different systems.

it might seem weird to break it out as i do in the above, but the reality is, every single line item is one that deserves explicit focus, for the ultra-hungry coach. you could go through life just recruiting decent players and slapping them together, and not really get any better. similarly, you can (and many good coaches do) have a good understanding of what a good team looks like, and how to play them well, and go on being successful, without really raising your ceiling - because you might miss the all-important step of reflecting on the success of your approach, on what you can tweak to build a better club (vision building). you naturally will do some vision building simply by working at building a team, but i used to spend a lot of time, and even have in recent times when i tried to re-gear up, just reflecting on the season as a whole, going back and looking at some game results and seasonal outcomes from recent seasons, trying to understand where we succeeded and where we failed. that step is the essence of vision building, which i think is the most abstract of the items in that list.

anyway, in terms of %s, i lump some things together, but i would ROUGHLY call it something like this:
player eval / team planning / vision building - 40%
recruiting mechanics - 25%
team setup / game planning - 20%
practice planning - 15%
scheduling - 15%
misc - 5%

man. screw this. that is way more than 100% but i can't justify putting anything lower. the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and i think about it, where would you be if you sucked at X, and in that sense, all these things are big. so, that is why the total is high. one coach can have a substantially better team but set it up poorly and pull an 8 seed to the other guy who over achieves and pulls a 4, it happens all the time. one coach can suck at recruiting mechanics and that creates a ceiling which you basically cannot overcome. scheduling i started at 20% because single-season success for a lot of teams, would be massively higher if they just scheduled properly. my total there is 120% so if you cut everything by about 20% you'd get something that sums to 100%, but i feel like it would understate the importance of every item ;) at least its better than when i started, i was around 150%. uhg. the problem is like *just* really ****** scheduling (not doing it) will totally destroy the entire season. not practice planning or being horrible at it totally destroys you. but if you don't have skills in the top 3 items, you are even MORE royally screwed. so its hard. i give up.
good read gillispie!
8/2/2016 7:17 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 8/2/2016 7:06:00 PM (view original):

I have it set on half court press/man at end of games. I am letting the game engine decide who shoots who not at 3 point setting of 0. I go plus 5 because I want to take away the three and half the time the sims shoots alot of threes. I'll change my team practice settings next season I don't want to change alot of what I did in the past all at one time.
Why choose failure? Out of all that nonsense, the most offensive bit is your unwillingness to learn how to set and adjust individual practice.

Leaving guys that cannot shoot from range at 0, when they could be -2 is a strong second.

Please do not type until you decide whether you wish to compete or not. Don't read Gillespie's posts. Only when you learn what I'm talking about will you be ready to tackle his stream of consciousness. [Lost me at 120%. The director's cut of Gillespie's movie would be an Andy Warhol flick. The whole is always equal to 100%. Honestly.]
8/2/2016 9:56 PM
Posted by rogelio on 8/2/2016 9:57:00 PM (view original):

Why choose failure? Out of all that nonsense, the most offensive bit is your unwillingness to learn how to set and adjust individual practice.

Leaving guys that cannot shoot from range at 0, when they could be -2 is a strong second.

Please do not type until you decide whether you wish to compete or not. Don't read Gillespie's posts. Only when you learn what I'm talking about will you be ready to tackle his stream of consciousness. [Lost me at 120%. The director's cut of Gillespie's movie would be an Andy Warhol flick. The whole is always equal to 100%. Honestly.]
In my mind I want to get to division 1 with my main account so yes competing is very important for me right now. Where my record is at right now is not very good. But that will change in due time since I have left chowan and have went to a better situation.

Which guys should get 0? Which guys should get -2? Which guys should get a plus ratings?

Once I complete what I have in mind for this account I will have a 2nd hoop dynasty team in division 2. Rather its the pti championship or national championship in division 1 it doesn't matter get me 1 championship and i'll have 2 teams in allen.
8/2/2016 10:26 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 8/2/2016 10:26:00 PM (view original):

In my mind I want to get to division 1 with my main account so yes competing is very important for me right now. Where my record is at right now is not very good. But that will change in due time since I have left chowan and have went to a better situation.

Which guys should get 0? Which guys should get -2? Which guys should get a plus ratings?

Once I complete what I have in mind for this account I will have a 2nd hoop dynasty team in division 2. Rather its the pti championship or national championship in division 1 it doesn't matter get me 1 championship and i'll have 2 teams in allen.
What do your grand future plans have to do with learning how to win at DII...which is the reason you started this whole thread???
8/3/2016 1:43 AM

Right on, rogelio. Your initial post was 260 words, perfectly responding to the OP and most forum readers.

Gillespie's was 76,492 words, perfectly responding to the very smart "well actually" voices in Gillespie's head.
8/3/2016 3:39 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Most efficent offense/defense @div2? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.