Guide to the New HD 3.0 release Topic

In reply to Ejectgoose, "Chap, you're my hero. In terms of D3 recruiting in 3.0, are you finding that strategically it is better for a team to scout nearby D1-D2 and focus on those levels early, using D3 recruits as a fall-back? Or are there viable recruits at the D3 level?"

my two cents: In the Beta, the more successful D3 coaches were recruiting D2/D1 recruits, with an occasional D3 recruit as well. HOWEVER, it was clear in the Beta that not as many D1/D2/D3 humans were actively recruiting as in the real worlds. So it is a bit of an unknown if the same quality of D2/D1 recruits will slip through the cracks and be available to D3 schools. Also, I believe that Seble was still tweaking some things with D1 and D2 sims, so it is possible that D1/D2 sims will recruit better..
8/22/2016 12:40 PM
Posted by ggallagh on 8/22/2016 12:41:00 PM (view original):
In reply to Ejectgoose, "Chap, you're my hero. In terms of D3 recruiting in 3.0, are you finding that strategically it is better for a team to scout nearby D1-D2 and focus on those levels early, using D3 recruits as a fall-back? Or are there viable recruits at the D3 level?"

my two cents: In the Beta, the more successful D3 coaches were recruiting D2/D1 recruits, with an occasional D3 recruit as well. HOWEVER, it was clear in the Beta that not as many D1/D2/D3 humans were actively recruiting as in the real worlds. So it is a bit of an unknown if the same quality of D2/D1 recruits will slip through the cracks and be available to D3 schools. Also, I believe that Seble was still tweaking some things with D1 and D2 sims, so it is possible that D1/D2 sims will recruit better..
Yup agree. I do think youre gonna get D2 players primarily. But yet to see.

Also guys, we will put together some strategy guides for recruiting too. Its coming.
8/22/2016 1:24 PM
Posted by phalla on 8/21/2016 5:33:00 PM (view original):
Great job gentlemen. Thanks.

But a rhetorical question - Why isn't WIS doing something like this??
Well to be fair, they do have something.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/help/howto30.aspx

It's just not very in depth and more of like a promo thing than a guide. It's still pretty good at explaining some major differences in the game and the basics. But hopefully our guide gets into the nitty gritty. Plus we'll have strategies.
8/22/2016 2:31 PM
Posted by ejectgoose on 8/22/2016 11:34:00 AM (view original):
Chap, you're my hero. In terms of D3 recruiting in 3.0, are you finding that strategically it is better for a team to scout nearby D1-D2 and focus on those levels early, using D3 recruits as a fall-back? Or are there viable recruits at the D3 level?
lol! Why would you ever take a DIII recruit on your DIII team (note sarcasm)? Concentrate on DI and use DII as fallback!
8/22/2016 8:22 PM
So, uhh the new update only pertains to recruiting and the look of the game or are their game planning changes as well?
8/23/2016 1:02 PM
Posted by echaney on 8/23/2016 1:03:00 PM (view original):
So, uhh the new update only pertains to recruiting and the look of the game or are their game planning changes as well?
Only recruiting and look of the game.
8/23/2016 1:51 PM
Posted by ggallagh on 8/22/2016 12:41:00 PM (view original):

Thanks ejectgoose - I do think it will be more difficult to land D1 recruits that are extremely good in the real game based on what galosh is saying. I am also noticing that the sims in this go around of Beta are moving in more frequently on the D1 recruits I am targeting. But I still have a lot that are considering only me. I started out this time in the first couple of cycles putting one or two attention points on like 65 D1 recruits that did not have anyone on them in the first cycle. There are about 40 left. Some are very solid, but some are really not D1 level in my opinion. After a few cycles of doing this, I started using large numbers of attention points on one or two targets each cycle until they were unlocked and offered a scholarship, hoping that they will still be around on the last day, when they can sign. It's going to be somewhat high risk to do this in the real game, but there are potentially some big rewards.

In the current game, when I was at D3, I would say that about 90% of the players I would get would be D2 pull downs and drop downs, and I think getting D2 players at D3 will not be very hard in 3.0.

This was something that was really hard to test in Beta because of the lack of humans.
8/23/2016 2:13 PM
I guess one of the important questions, and one that may only be answered through trial and error, is how worthwhile spending time/money on D3 recruits will be for a D3 coach in HD 3.0. In the previous system, while the overall quality of the D2 recruits was certainly better than D3 recruits, potential was a factor that often made D3 recruits worthwhile, even when compared against D2 recruits with higher base ratings but less potential. Any insight into whether this is still the same? Or in 3.0, are the D2 recruits significantly better than D3 recruits in both base ratings AND potential?
8/23/2016 5:42 PM
Posted by ejectgoose on 8/23/2016 5:42:00 PM (view original):
I guess one of the important questions, and one that may only be answered through trial and error, is how worthwhile spending time/money on D3 recruits will be for a D3 coach in HD 3.0. In the previous system, while the overall quality of the D2 recruits was certainly better than D3 recruits, potential was a factor that often made D3 recruits worthwhile, even when compared against D2 recruits with higher base ratings but less potential. Any insight into whether this is still the same? Or in 3.0, are the D2 recruits significantly better than D3 recruits in both base ratings AND potential?
Recruit generation is exactly the same. I think the difference is that the pool is now HUGE for D3 players. ALL D2 players are available now unlike in 2.0 where only some players will let you pull them down.

But it's a good question. There definitely are some really good D3 players, for sure. The best D3 players are probably better than the average D2 player but they are not close to the best D2 players. That's probably what you will see in my opinion. So, to your earlier question, I think the answer is yes, it's worth looking at D3 guys especially considering that they will sign 1st session and the risk is lower.

However, this is also going to depend on 2 things -
1) how many humans are in 3.0? If D2 is PACKED with coaches, then D3 players are probably more attractive since it's easier to get them
2) sim recruiting. Previous versions of beta showed that it was EASY to beat sims. I beat D1 sims at D3 without spending ANY money or sending any promises. Seble cranked up the SIM logic and now I'm finding it much harder. Just to experiment, I'm battling a D2 sim and I've almost spent my entire $5,000 budget on this guy including promises and we're both moderate. Much, much harder now.
8/23/2016 6:29 PM
Thanks, Benis. Really helpful stuff.

So--attention points cannot be given out until the first recruiting period starts, right? (e.g. not during the scouting period)
8/23/2016 9:47 PM
Posted by ejectgoose on 8/23/2016 9:47:00 PM (view original):
Thanks, Benis. Really helpful stuff.

So--attention points cannot be given out until the first recruiting period starts, right? (e.g. not during the scouting period)
That's right, no AP's are given out til the recruiting period starts.
8/23/2016 11:21 PM
Is there a % of scouting money you'd recommend keeping in reserve for the 2nd recruiting period?
8/24/2016 6:13 PM
Posted by ejectgoose on 8/24/2016 6:13:00 PM (view original):
Is there a % of scouting money you'd recommend keeping in reserve for the 2nd recruiting period?
Not sure yet what the rule of thumb will be. Honestly, I'm not sure how much it's worth saving money. Transfers will come around in the 2nd session but their value is decreased if we can recruit up divisions.

So I dunno yet. I think if you use most of your money first session and get a good list then you could probably be good for 2nd session too. Guess it depends.

Also, if you have an EE then it's a different story.
8/24/2016 6:32 PM
the costs to recruit by distance:

base price for 0 miles : scouting = 100, home visit = 200, campus = 400
for every additional 100 miles: scouting +25, home visit +30, campus +50
with maxes of $700 for scouting, $1000 for home visit, $1700 for campus visit

so if a recruit is 1000 miles away, multiple the above numbers by 10x (1000 miles / 100 mile increments)
scouting = $100 base + (10x$25) = 350
home visit = $200 base + (10x$30) = 500
campus = $400 base + (10x$50) = 900

if a recruit is 2000 miles away, multiple the above numbers by 20x (2000 miles / 100 mile increments)
scouting = $100 base + (20x$25) = 600
home visit = $200 base + (20x$30) = 800
campus = $400 base + (20x$50) = 1400
8/26/2016 7:11 PM
Posted by oldwarrior on 8/26/2016 7:11:00 PM (view original):
the costs to recruit by distance:

base price for 0 miles : scouting = 100, home visit = 200, campus = 400
for every additional 100 miles: scouting +25, home visit +30, campus +50
with maxes of $700 for scouting, $1000 for home visit, $1700 for campus visit

so if a recruit is 1000 miles away, multiple the above numbers by 10x (1000 miles / 100 mile increments)
scouting = $100 base + (10x$25) = 350
home visit = $200 base + (10x$30) = 500
campus = $400 base + (10x$50) = 900

if a recruit is 2000 miles away, multiple the above numbers by 20x (2000 miles / 100 mile increments)
scouting = $100 base + (20x$25) = 600
home visit = $200 base + (20x$30) = 800
campus = $400 base + (20x$50) = 1400
Great Info - I will add this to the top. Never calculated it our like this.
8/27/2016 2:19 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...14 Next ▸
Guide to the New HD 3.0 release Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.