FB/FCP Thoughts Topic

I'm curious about the importance of DEF when running the press. I know that ATH/SPD/STA are very important, but what elements do you look for when you run Fastbreak and the Fullcourt Press?
8/15/2016 6:33 PM
I can't speak to the fastbreak part but defense in press is important if for no other reason than to limit the number of fouls you'll commit. I think it also leads to more steals all else equal.
8/15/2016 6:54 PM
Agree about the fouls part, mostly for guards. If he's fast and athletic then you could get away with it but damn it's frustrating when guys foul like crazy and you really need them to play big minutes.

This guy is driving me nuts right now. Even though he has elite speed (for D3), his mediocre ath and def gets him a lot of fouls. My team averages 18.8 fouls per game and this dude gets 4.1 of them. What a jerk!

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=3292704

8/15/2016 8:43 PM
Very good to know! I was running zone on my teams until last year. I wanted to test out some options with FCP, but I wasn't sure how things would play out with a guard who was lacking in DEF.

I would gladly take that guy on my D3 teams, Benis!
8/15/2016 9:20 PM
I think the main thing with this combo would almost have to be having a very deep bench and good team stamina. You will score a lot of points. I ran this combo early in my career and have thought about trying it again because it was so fun to score so many points.
8/15/2016 9:57 PM
Is defense important? YES. Is it vital? No.

I like my starters to come in around 40-50 DEF with an ATH over 30 if they have 90ish speed but I'll take guys if I think they'll always be bench players with ATH and DEF in the 20's. The 85+ speed covers a lot of mistakes.
8/15/2016 10:21 PM
in fb/fcp defense is actually more important, at least if you are talking champion-seeking levels, than in the regular press. mediocre defense can be tolerated on some players in regular fcp because it doesn't cause a huge hit to fg%, but it does have a very significant effect on fouling. in fb/fcp the foul/fatigue combo is so severe, that low def actually hurts more. not to say you cant afford mediocre defense in a couple high scorers or whatnot, but in general, the defensive rating is pretty highly important in fb/fcp.

it does depend what level you are competing at, though. on regular press teams more in the 2nd round level, like a mid major, defense is where i make a major sacrifice, but a large part of that is that all the top teams prioritize it so much, i have no way to get a lot of it even if i wanted to. so it just kind of depends. the more competitive you are, the more those volatile high fatigue high foul situation matters, and the more the defensive rating itself matters.
8/16/2016 6:59 PM
offensively speed and BH seem to do well.
8/16/2016 8:58 PM
From a stamina standpoint you need your team stamina to be 80+ by the end of the season to compete in the NT. Red shirts and walks ons are virtually impossible to have unless you have multiple guys with 90+ stamina.
8/16/2016 9:05 PM
FB/FCP Thoughts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.