Posted by flageezer on 9/1/2016 10:07:00 AM (view original):
OK, doing away with finish money would mean in RL that Florida International and Marist have as much chance as Duke and Kentucky to win the NT. Drastically cutting down the money needed for recruiting actions at distance means Florida International and Marist can go after elite California players. Means a D1 team would have to search countrywide in scouting, and consume untold hours. Not to mention that the system is convoluted and really time consuming even if you recruit at D3 level. Many of the users have lives--jobs, families, other interests that limit the time they have for HD. Can see those staying that used to field six teams cutting down to one or two, in addition to those dropping. Was all this change due to one headstrong programmer who didn't listen to anyone except a few people that agreed with him? When revenues drop as new people are bewildered by the complexity of recruiting and quit and old hands cut back will WIS be pleased? Will HD be 90% sim? And shelved? Still trying to get purchase in the new system, but I can't even figure out how to give attention points, which you are supposed to be able to use during scouting. I think. All trial and error. They took the only college BB game on line which had a few flaws, and made it into one with multiple flaws. Dealt with a lot of programmers in my working life, and they always made the interface harder to use, but said now it was "elegant".
Do we know for a fact that Florida International and Marist can have as much a chance as Duke and Kentucky to win a NT? We have very little evidence currently to definitely say this can happen. And even if they can, is it a bad thing? Do we want a built in ceiling in the game on where people can take their schools? How cool would it be to take your alma mater, Marist, to a NT? I go back and forth on this, just playing devils advocate...but I think part of the fun of this could be to turn one of the smaller schools into a power house. I dont know, maybe thats an unpopular opinion...
9/1/2016 4:39 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 9/1/2016 11:08:00 AM (view original):
"I'm surprised this is the thing that is pushing many old-timers to leave."

It isn't the game. That's just the latest excuse for some people to rag all over the forums.
I'm glad you at least backed off of this statement a little bit.

It isn't the game? So it was your opinion that the temporal overlap between the already dramatic reduction in world populations - including the exodus or massive cutback of many veteran owners of varying levels of success - and the release of the new version of the game is not about the game? It's just what, a coincidence?

Of all the stupid **** you've said over the past few months, this one just might take the cake.
9/1/2016 5:04 PM
Posted by crabman26 on 9/1/2016 4:39:00 PM (view original):
OK, doing away with finish money would mean in RL that Florida International and Marist have as much chance as Duke and Kentucky to win the NT. Drastically cutting down the money needed for recruiting actions at distance means Florida International and Marist can go after elite California players. Means a D1 team would have to search countrywide in scouting, and consume untold hours. Not to mention that the system is convoluted and really time consuming even if you recruit at D3 level. Many of the users have lives--jobs, families, other interests that limit the time they have for HD. Can see those staying that used to field six teams cutting down to one or two, in addition to those dropping. Was all this change due to one headstrong programmer who didn't listen to anyone except a few people that agreed with him? When revenues drop as new people are bewildered by the complexity of recruiting and quit and old hands cut back will WIS be pleased? Will HD be 90% sim? And shelved? Still trying to get purchase in the new system, but I can't even figure out how to give attention points, which you are supposed to be able to use during scouting. I think. All trial and error. They took the only college BB game on line which had a few flaws, and made it into one with multiple flaws. Dealt with a lot of programmers in my working life, and they always made the interface harder to use, but said now it was "elegant".
Do we know for a fact that Florida International and Marist can have as much a chance as Duke and Kentucky to win a NT? We have very little evidence currently to definitely say this can happen. And even if they can, is it a bad thing? Do we want a built in ceiling in the game on where people can take their schools? How cool would it be to take your alma mater, Marist, to a NT? I go back and forth on this, just playing devils advocate...but I think part of the fun of this could be to turn one of the smaller schools into a power house. I dont know, maybe thats an unpopular opinion...
That used to be possible, before seble nerfed recruit generation and made the top-30 recruits so much better than all the other recruits and potential capped what every recruit could conceivably become. It's still kinda possible (at least as far down as a C-USA school, if not totally entry level) if you can get 10-12 really good coaches and keep them together for 10+ seasons.
9/1/2016 5:06 PM
Prestige still matters, so it is inaccurate to say "that Florida International and Marist have as much chance as Duke and Kentucky to win the NT." But I did find one accurate sentence in that post: "Many of the users have lives--jobs, families, other interests that limit the time they have for HD." The rest of the post, not so much.

And, debater, it isn't just the game. 3.0 is just an excuse for loud, petty, self-indulgent departures, as well as the occasion for some people to leave who were contemplating it already, as they have posted. But there has always been a type of person who takes advantage of the anonymity the Internet gives him, and there always will be. (Edited to add): Scroll down several posts to the one with all the red print, and you'll see a perfect example of what I mean ... angry, bitter, toxic. The best you can do with a post like that is treat it as merely background noise.
9/1/2016 10:06 PM (edited)
Posted by acn24 on 9/1/2016 5:06:00 PM (view original):
That used to be possible, before seble nerfed recruit generation and made the top-30 recruits so much better than all the other recruits and potential capped what every recruit could conceivably become. It's still kinda possible (at least as far down as a C-USA school, if not totally entry level) if you can get 10-12 really good coaches and keep them together for 10+ seasons.
Interesting, I noticed the Ivy League in Wooden was going down that path...
9/1/2016 5:12 PM
Posted by acn24 on 9/1/2016 5:06:00 PM (view original):
I was thinking to myself.. Is it still improtant to have a core of guys in your conferemce? Or is it subject to win losses more than ever. I am thinking the latter now. It also doesn't matter about the number of people in the conference and side talks about hey lets take this L so the other team can go to the national tourney. It just doesn't work that way. I think its based on how many scolarships you lose per the budget of the division am I correct?
9/1/2016 5:19 PM
Welcome back thread? I convinced zhawks to come back and try out HD 3.0, will be in Phelan when next season starts.
9/1/2016 5:57 PM
the Z man! Ah, the days when we met each other over and over, deep in the postseason of a new world.....

how's it going indiansrck - remember great games in the day!
9/1/2016 6:18 PM
Creilman is also coming back because of the changes. He has picked up a couple of teams.
9/1/2016 7:38 PM
I like that thought. One thing that still helps is to have a strong conference, since that is one of the preferences. I don't see why it could not happen honestly, if you can get a group of good coaches together and build a strong conference. Even if you are not in a strong conference, it is a lot easier to build a high levrl team, in my opinion. It's still harder than in a Big 6 conference because of the baseline prestiges, but it is easier to land top talent in 3.0 than in the current game. I am really interested to see what it will look like after like 6-10 seasons. Obviously it's beta, but my Dartmouth team is the highest rated team in D1 and ranked #2. Oral Roberts has been a real powerhouse as well. Most of the top teams are the ones you'd expect, but some smaller teams have risen higher than they normally do in the current game.
9/1/2016 7:44 PM
"And, debater, it isn't just the game. 3.0 is just an excuse for loud, petty, self-indulgent departures, as well as the occasion for some people to leave who were contemplating it already, as they have posted. But there has always been a type of person who takes advantage of the anonymity the Internet gives him, and there always will be."

...and some wonder how Spudtard became the MOST hated poster in BETA. Being an ****** comes so naturally to him. Amazing how you continue to ridicule a group of coaches who are bother better than you AT the game and have contributed more than you ever will IN the game.
9/1/2016 8:00 PM (edited)
Posted by chapelhillne on 9/1/2016 7:44:00 PM (view original):
I like that thought. One thing that still helps is to have a strong conference, since that is one of the preferences. I don't see why it could not happen honestly, if you can get a group of good coaches together and build a strong conference. Even if you are not in a strong conference, it is a lot easier to build a high levrl team, in my opinion. It's still harder than in a Big 6 conference because of the baseline prestiges, but it is easier to land top talent in 3.0 than in the current game. I am really interested to see what it will look like after like 6-10 seasons. Obviously it's beta, but my Dartmouth team is the highest rated team in D1 and ranked #2. Oral Roberts has been a real powerhouse as well. Most of the top teams are the ones you'd expect, but some smaller teams have risen higher than they normally do in the current game.
This is all based upon beta where the prestiges were seemingly set arbitrarily, yielding flawed results than if the world had started with users in schools with realistic prestiges.
9/1/2016 9:03 PM
Posted by metsmax on 9/1/2016 6:18:00 PM (view original):
the Z man! Ah, the days when we met each other over and over, deep in the postseason of a new world.....

how's it going indiansrck - remember great games in the day!
Going pretty good! Oh yea those early seasons of Phelan were awesome and the GNAC and Big Sky were both extremely competitive and great conferences.
9/1/2016 9:27 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by chapelhillne on 9/1/2016 7:38:00 PM (view original):
Creilman is also coming back because of the changes. He has picked up a couple of teams.
chapel .. this is blasphemous. People HATE this .. everyone is leaving. People are NOT allowed to come back. The sky is falling; falling I say.

Or not.
9/2/2016 8:05 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...15 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.