New Changes 10/14 Topic

In case no one saw, there are some more updates announced.

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=496587&threadID=11043899#l_11043899

A couple thoughts.

30 sec shot clock change. I like it. Should increase scoring, increase possessions and decrease variation on results (probably small tho). I wonder if the tempo preference was adjusted to account for everyone getting more possessions now. Also, I think adding in shot clock violations would be a great idea.

Change to preferences. Love it. Much more realisitic that a 5 star guy wants success but also doesn't penalize really good programs. I also like how rebuild and playing time correlate now. Makes sense to me.

More proposed changes- I think some preferences like perimeter offense and tempo need work. I don't like how perimeter offense is calculated and it makes it very difficult to achieve. I think it should be some combination of total 3s taken (not % of 3s vs total FGA) and total 3s made per game. So are you taking a bunch of 3s but also are you making them. Right now I could attempt 20 3s a game and make 10 of them and be rated lower than a Sim who is taking 20 3s and making 5 of them due to the adjustment of tempo. I say just leave tempo out of it and go by the raw numbers here. If you have a fast high powered offense and are making 3s at a great clip, it should count that.
10/15/2016 9:37 AM
And for tempo preference I think it should be a combination of what type of offense and what you're setting your tempo choice as. Right now its partly dependent upon what the other team is doing. I think it should be something similar to how your O/D is set. Just do some calculation like

Slowdown- 3 games
Normal - 5 games
Uptempo- 1 game

Net would be a neutral preference on tempo. Something like that. But also need to account for halftime tempo adjustment.

Or. Scrap tempo and change it to offensive output. Are you a high scoring team or not. You have strong defense preference, you should have strong offense preference. But I don't think it should be only tempo free. If you're scoring 100 ppg then a recruit would say that's a high powered offense and the style I want to play. Not, wow that Virginia style offense is super efficient, looks fun!
10/15/2016 9:46 AM (edited)
Very solid updates.
10/15/2016 9:58 AM
I'm digging the updates. My only question is, when does the 30-second shot-clock change take effect? I'd have to imagine it was implemented immediately, and last night's games were the first with the 30-second shot-clock.

Anyways, good stuff.
10/15/2016 12:26 PM
Posted by ppk700 on 10/15/2016 12:26:00 PM (view original):
I'm digging the updates. My only question is, when does the 30-second shot-clock change take effect? I'd have to imagine it was implemented immediately, and last night's games were the first with the 30-second shot-clock.

Anyways, good stuff.
I checked one of the box scores for one of the teams that run slowdown. Seems like it's already been implemented.
10/15/2016 1:08 PM
Great job. We are moving forward.
10/15/2016 1:54 PM
I wonder if the shot clockchange will effect fatigue and make stamina more important.
10/15/2016 2:02 PM
Regarding tempo-I wonder if there is logic programmed to make the uptempo preference more likely for D2 and D3 teams. In Knight, I have 397 recruits scouted to level 2 or higher with my mid D1 team. Only 16 of them prefer uptempo (4%). For comparison, 160 have no preference (40%), 59 perimeter offense (~15%), 87 want paint (~22%), and 75 want strong defense (~19%).

I remember Benis posting numbers from Beta showing the preferences were fairly equal in each category percentage-wise, though I could be misremembering.

Has anyone else noticed a downtrend in the uptempo preference, specifically at D1, or am I just seeing an anomaly?
10/16/2016 11:55 AM
good job
10/16/2016 11:04 PM
I really like these. A move in the right direction.
10/16/2016 11:09 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 10/16/2016 11:55:00 AM (view original):
Regarding tempo-I wonder if there is logic programmed to make the uptempo preference more likely for D2 and D3 teams. In Knight, I have 397 recruits scouted to level 2 or higher with my mid D1 team. Only 16 of them prefer uptempo (4%). For comparison, 160 have no preference (40%), 59 perimeter offense (~15%), 87 want paint (~22%), and 75 want strong defense (~19%).

I remember Benis posting numbers from Beta showing the preferences were fairly equal in each category percentage-wise, though I could be misremembering.

Has anyone else noticed a downtrend in the uptempo preference, specifically at D1, or am I just seeing an anomaly?
Yup, you're right. Not many recruits prefer uptempo.

http://test.whatifsports.net/whatifsports/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=420957

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=496093
10/17/2016 7:26 AM
New Changes 10/14 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.