It really is possible to plan for EEs and not get decimated. With my Georgia Tech team, I had zero seniors, but knew I would have at least one EE. I picked one player - an ineligible 4 star in Florida that had a late preference. From the first cycle, I poured my 20 AP into him. My team is an A. Georgia was also on him - they are a B. I didn't try to battle them during the first session, because there was no reason to. I just kept putting the 20 AP in, and I did offer the scholarship and the CV, since there is always a chance that 5 teams would offer that and shut me out.

I ended up with one player leaving early. When the second session started, I did all 20 HVs and got to Very High while Georgia was at Moderate. I was able to win the player.
11/11/2016 2:38 PM
it definitely is possible, but, (1) i think you probably got a little lucky with the way that worked out, with no one else jumping in and georgia not having more effort in (2) hypothetically, if you had 3 EEs, you would have had to settle for the same plan, because you still would have only had 20 AP to use. of course not a deal breaker to have a couple walk-ons for most teams but for teams running press or something, it might be inadequate even with the best plan + luck.
11/11/2016 2:59 PM
You knew you would have one EE player and planned accordingly. Yes, not impossible when you know what is going to happen it turns out correct. Now lets address the many other scenarios when coaches DON"T know what's going to happen or are surprised.
11/11/2016 3:07 PM
You got lucky. I employed the same strategy except was forced into a battle several cycles after I started. I went all in (A+ prestige) pushing my opponent to moderate. My opponent went all in on the second to last cycle of first session (B+ prestige). I had better preferences (2 more Very Goods than opponent) and a full letter grade in prestige and was on the recruit from the first cycle. Recruit signed with opponent next cycle.
11/11/2016 4:15 PM
No one is arguing the fact that you have a chance to make up for one early entry. It is virtually impossible when you have three or more, though. And why should you be punished even if you only have one?
11/11/2016 4:29 PM
It is easy with 1 EE. Try having 4.
11/11/2016 5:24 PM
I think the planning is possible but it's not the ideal situation.
11/11/2016 6:00 PM
If you are getting 4 early entries 4-5 seasons from now, it is because you have chosen to take the risk of multiple early entries, and you've gotten very lucky rolls. In 4-5 seasons, the early entry scenario most people will be navigating is where they have 2 maybe 3 possible early entries, and they need to be flexible and have some good depth already in place to securely avoid a down season.
11/11/2016 6:11 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 11/11/2016 6:11:00 PM (view original):
If you are getting 4 early entries 4-5 seasons from now, it is because you have chosen to take the risk of multiple early entries, and you've gotten very lucky rolls. In 4-5 seasons, the early entry scenario most people will be navigating is where they have 2 maybe 3 possible early entries, and they need to be flexible and have some good depth already in place to securely avoid a down season.
This sounds like a comment from a person who has not had many players go EE. Take the risk with multiple EE's? I have had guys stay that have had no business staying. I have had guys leave that had no business leaving. It can be quite random, and there is no way to know for sure how long a kid will stay.
11/11/2016 7:18 PM
one thing that could make koopman's point more fully accurtae would be if there was a scoutable indication about a kids chance of leaving early
11/11/2016 7:22 PM
"It really is possible to plan for EEs and not get decimated."
PIN IT.

"Yes, not impossible when you know what is going to happen it turns out correct. Now lets address the many other scenarios when coaches DON"T know what's going to happen or are surprised." The principles of preparation are the same. Every coach at that level understands EE's, so none are surprised. (They DO understand the game at that level, right?)

"one thing that could make koopman's point more fully accurtae would be if there was a scoutable indication about a kids chance of leaving early" That was fully discussed in a thread a few weeks ago. IIRC, hughesjr had some good stats about it. Like I said, coaches at high D1 are so skilled that EE's don't actually catch them by surprise. They all know it is possible.
11/12/2016 1:33 AM (edited)
Posted by CoachSpud on 11/11/2016 7:34:00 PM (view original):
"It really is possible to plan for EEs and not get decimated." PIN IT.

"Yes, not impossible when you know what is going to happen it turns out correct. Now lets address the many other scenarios when coaches DON"T know what's going to happen or are surprised." The principles of preparation are the same. Every coach at that level understands EE's, so none are surprised. (They DO understand the game at that level, right?)

"one thing that could make koopman's point more fully accurtae would be if there was a scoutable indication about a kids chance of leaving early" That was fully discussed in a thread a few weeks ago. IIRC, hughesjr had some good stats about it. Like I said, coaches at high D1 are so skilled that EE's don't actually catch them by surprise. They all know it is possible.
So, how have you prepared for EE's in the past, both in 2.0 and 3.0? Give me some real life (non-Beta) examples of successes and failures, so that I can use that information to do a better job in the future. Thank you in advance.
11/11/2016 8:01 PM
Posted by jpmills3 on 11/11/2016 8:01:00 PM (view original):

So, how have you prepared for EE's in the past, both in 2.0 and 3.0? Give me some real life (non-Beta) examples of successes and failures, so that I can use that information to do a better job in the future. Thank you in advance.
...crickets...
11/11/2016 8:19 PM
Posted by Benis on 11/11/2016 8:19:00 PM (view original):

...crickets...
Lol.
11/11/2016 8:29 PM

Snark one post, demand something from me the next? Get a perspective, son. The world doesn't work that way.
11/11/2016 9:12 PM
1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.