D3 won a battle against A- prestige D1 team Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 11/14/2016 6:52:00 PM (view original):
No one cares if the SIM is happy. They get free teams.
But unfortunately the worlds are very empty right now so we'll be playing quite a few sim teams. And having conferences full of sim teams.

Also, when someone picks up a team, it'd be nice if the team was somewhat decent so the new coach doesn't have to suffer through several seasons of getting destroyed. Not fun.
11/14/2016 6:58 PM
Posted by Benis on 11/14/2016 6:58:00 PM (view original):
But unfortunately the worlds are very empty right now so we'll be playing quite a few sim teams. And having conferences full of sim teams.

Also, when someone picks up a team, it'd be nice if the team was somewhat decent so the new coach doesn't have to suffer through several seasons of getting destroyed. Not fun.
I was going to answer the comment seriously, and almost word for word with what you said, but I assumed Mike was just being playfully sarcastic.
11/14/2016 7:01 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 11/14/2016 7:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 11/14/2016 6:58:00 PM (view original):

I was going to answer the comment seriously, and almost word for word with what you said, but I assumed Mike was just being playfully sarcastic.
haha, I know. He probably was. But there are some people who really don't care if SIMs are total crap. And I don't think that's good for the game either.
11/14/2016 7:04 PM
Somewhat playfully sarcastic but with a touch of seriousness.

The way to rid the world of the freeloading SIMs is to have humans play. So, again I present this scenario: As a D3 I'm thrilled to get a 590 guy. My craptastic team might have someone who can play D and score. As a D1, you're mad because you got stuck with a 590. So Kentucky dumping a scholarship on a guy on the last recruiting cycle after poor ol' W Conn State has been wooing him relentlessly just seems like a bad idea for user happiness. Unhappy users find something else to do with their time.
11/14/2016 7:09 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/14/2016 7:09:00 PM (view original):

The way to rid the world of the freeloading SIMs is to have humans play. So, again I present this scenario: As a D3 I'm thrilled to get a 590 guy. My craptastic team might have someone who can play D and score. As a D1, you're mad because you got stuck with a 590. So Kentucky dumping a scholarship on a guy on the last recruiting cycle after poor ol' W Conn State has been wooing him relentlessly just seems like a bad idea for user happiness. Unhappy users find something else to do with their time.
Agree. You will be pumped to get a 590 guy. Because he can score and defend and all those other things that make a basketball player good.

But guess what. You take over a team and start playing teams in your conference who have FIVE guys like that. We talk about D1 teams entrenched in high level jobs and that is an issue but what about these D3 teams that are going to be powerhouses who are playing brand new coaches who just took over a garbage SIM team. It already happens today but I believe it could be worse in 3.0. Because guess who the best recruiters of 'D1 talent' will be? The guys who've been there for 30 seasons, not the guy with 1 or 2 seasons of experience.

So you have this 590 guy that all of a sudden isn't scoring or defending that well anymore because the rest of your team is terrible and can't pass, rebound or defend. And you're playing against teams with D2 level talent so those team issues are magnified.
11/14/2016 7:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/14/2016 6:15:00 PM (view original):
D3. First season in 10 years.

Current situation is 3 SR, 1 JR, 1 SO, 7 FR. So, even with a walk-on this recruiting session, I only need 2 next year.
I would cut that freshman class to 3/4 and spread it to JR/SO classes.
11/14/2016 7:30 PM
Again, I wouldn't mind if D1 never dropped to D3. But don't let D3 spend a red cent of resources on a guy only to have a desperate D1 owner grab him on the last cycle. That will keep a D3 down longer than playing against elevated competition because his resources are being thrown away. Furthermore, said D3 isn't happy at all because he has bad players and is getting crushed every day.

I'm poor ol' W Conn State. I don't have a single player rated in the top 25 in my conference. I've been a 60 point dog in a game. I'm 1-9 and a 25 point dog tonight. I'd be a damn sight happier at the end of this season, when it's time to renew, if my recruiting class nets me 3-4 starters. And, if I'm aiming at a 590 gamble in RS2, I will not be thrilled if I lose him to a team that did nothing more than offer a scholarship on the last cycle.

Anyway, I agree that D3 might be run by the best D1 recruiters. But, if I'm not mistaken, you have to win games to move up. The best way for a new owner to do that would be to a score a low level D1 player a time or two. Either way, he has to have incentive to stay and play. Being treated as a 2nd class citizen in recruiting won't create incentive.
11/14/2016 7:46 PM
Posted by Benis on 11/14/2016 7:18:00 PM (view original):

Agree. You will be pumped to get a 590 guy. Because he can score and defend and all those other things that make a basketball player good.

But guess what. You take over a team and start playing teams in your conference who have FIVE guys like that. We talk about D1 teams entrenched in high level jobs and that is an issue but what about these D3 teams that are going to be powerhouses who are playing brand new coaches who just took over a garbage SIM team. It already happens today but I believe it could be worse in 3.0. Because guess who the best recruiters of 'D1 talent' will be? The guys who've been there for 30 seasons, not the guy with 1 or 2 seasons of experience.

So you have this 590 guy that all of a sudden isn't scoring or defending that well anymore because the rest of your team is terrible and can't pass, rebound or defend. And you're playing against teams with D2 level talent so those team issues are magnified.
Right, but you have to remember that elite teams in D3 have always existed, and those coaches have always dominated by recruiting guys of roughly the caliber that D1 sims were recruiting. CNU is a championship level D3 team in Phelan. Without looking at your team, I am pretty confident in saying that your team would *already* be a nightmare for a new player to contend with.

Its always going to be true. Championship level D2/3 teams are about understanding the system, and using it to get the best players available to you.
11/14/2016 7:57 PM
Not that this is a good argument, but as someone who is coaching D3 and has no plans to ever move up, I like being able to sign D1 recruits, even ranked ones. I signed a pair last season and am testing the waters again this season, though I may have set my sights too high...

To me, it's really exciting, having the outside chance to land a few if you play your cards right, but I totally understand that when it comes to HD mirroring real life, it's mostly unrealistic.
11/14/2016 7:59 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 11/14/2016 7:57:00 PM (view original):

Right, but you have to remember that elite teams in D3 have always existed, and those coaches have always dominated by recruiting guys of roughly the caliber that D1 sims were recruiting. CNU is a championship level D3 team in Phelan. Without looking at your team, I am pretty confident in saying that your team would *already* be a nightmare for a new player to contend with.

Its always going to be true. Championship level D2/3 teams are about understanding the system, and using it to get the best players available to you.
Totally agree that my team was really good this season and crushed most teams, including coaches who were in their first season. Those teams already exist and will continue to exist. But will those types of teams increase? I'm no longer needing to fight conf mates for other D3 recruits or D2 pulldowns. Now ALL recruits are available to us which increases the pool that we can go for. Yes, we still need to know what we're doing but (and I could be wrong) my prediction is that the top teams will get better and the mid level teams will get better. Now instead of losing to me by 60, they will lose to me by 65 and lose to other average coaches by 30.
11/14/2016 8:05 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 11/14/2016 7:57:00 PM (view original):

After looking at CNU, I can confirm that it would take years, if ever, for me to compete with that. His #12 is better than my #1. I'd be a 90 point dog.
11/14/2016 8:07 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/13/2016 6:41:00 PM (view original):
I don't know.

HS star, who's been BMOC for 3-4 years, is getting all kinds of love from D3 U. D1 and D2 have completely ignored him. Then, when Kentucky loses a guy they thought they'd get, they call the kid on the last day and say "Yeah, you can be our 12th." Would said kid really go to Kentucky?
Yes. Yes he would because in real life, D3 can't offer real scholarships.
11/14/2016 11:36 PM
I think we'd need a real life kid to confirm this. Go to the college 20 miles away, live at home and be the big swinging dick locally doesn't seem so bad when compared to going to cold *** KY, sitting on the bench and being ignored by the masses.
11/15/2016 6:09 AM
After thinking about it, since he's obviously not a future NBA-type, going to college 20 miles away would probably be a pretty sweet deal. All the HS chicks you "knew" as HS BMOC would still be available, you can live in the basement and yell "MOM!!!! MEATLOAF!!!!" so you never have to buy food and the local backwater papers will cover your every move as if you never left your HS heaven.
11/15/2016 6:22 AM
Anyway, as previously mentioned, real life recruiting doesn't translate well to HD.

1. KY isn't offering a scholarship to a guy they haven't previously recruited on the last day.
2. Kid isn't dropping to D3 because, if he's projected low level D1, Charleston Southern or Cleveland State has offered a scholarship.

11/15/2016 7:12 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸
D3 won a battle against A- prestige D1 team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.