People who play a sport shouldn't be allowed to talk about it after they are done playing. Seems solid.
11/22/2016 8:48 PM
Comparing HD to a sport makes me feel a little sad for you. Not much but just a little.
11/22/2016 9:48 PM
Posted by skinndogg on 11/22/2016 5:57:00 PM (view original):

The more I play 3.0, the more I like it. Of course, I've spent most of my time in Div II and III. It seems to me the people most upset with 3.0 are the traditional powers in Div I. Is it really about EE's? Or are they just not liking their gravy train has changed and they have to adapt to it?

Skinn d2 and d3 are fine. Maybe I need to wait on D1 to change.
11/22/2016 9:56 PM
Gravy train changed.
11/22/2016 10:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/22/2016 9:48:00 PM (view original):
Comparing HD to a sport makes me feel a little sad for you. Not much but just a little.
Every time you post I feel sad for everyone reading it. Your unique blend of arrogance and ignorance is unparalleled.

11/22/2016 10:04 PM
m
11/22/2016 10:30 PM (edited)
I feel bad for ya Mike. I really do. It really is sad reading your posts.

If I had your record in HD and WIS, I wouldn't go around acting like you understand any of these games. You're 500% across the board on almost 19,000 games across the website, including .530 in HD. Whatever you're doing, your strategies are just better than a flip of the coin. But you're consistent.

11/22/2016 10:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/22/2016 1:43:00 PM (view original):
I understood what he meant.

He said that one didn't need to spend a dime in recruiting. Therefore, it stands to reason that the "best" strategy for a D3 is to scout, to level 1, as many D1 players as possible. No need to waste money on D2/D3 players as all you have to do is wait for the D1 guys. As I said, A/B is better than D/F. I only need to scout that deeply to be rolling in the D1 players at D3.
Mike, I know you're new here, but this post tells me every reason why you should not even be part of this argument. You're now caught up in an argument where you don't really have a clue what you are arguing, and instead of gracefully backing out understanding you don't know, you're going to dig your heels in and continue arguing. You don't even understand the game and you've already picked a side. There's another poster on here who does this same thing. I won't mention his name, but you get the idea.

If you really want to learn the game and determine if you like it on your own, then avoid threads like this. I expect you have enough sense to understand the thread topic from the header. You're coming across as arrogant considering your limited understanding of HD, which is evident in your post.
11/23/2016 3:57 AM (edited)
Posted by pkoopman on 11/22/2016 2:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 11/22/2016 12:47:00 PM (view original):
Well, PK, I am testing D1, D2 and D3... So I wonder what's false. D1 is a lottery, if you lose it, beware. I don't spend money in D2, D3 unless I need to push sims to low or v.low. The system needs ajustments. It can be perfected. Scouting limits your chances to find gems. If you win the lotteries, it's good, if not you need to dig deeper and money can be thin. As for D3, it would be fun to have a bit more money so the field of talent is a bit more discovered.
"D1 is a lottery". No it isn't. You could say that many battles for elite players become individual lotteries, if by lottery you mean a probability-based contest that you buy into. How you prioritize,who you target, and how much you invest determines how high your probability will be. If you understand that you may lose - because others may be prioritizing, targeting, and investing against you - you can either develop and execute contingency plans, or you can save up for next year. And if you have no taste for lotteries, and want to continue to avoid battles, you can target and lock down lower-demand players. Or you can mix and match. Lots of strategy choices to choose from. None of this "needs fixed asap".

You can recruit without spending money at D2/3, sure. You can also spend money, and fight D1s. With Abilene Christian, I fought off 2 human D1s (Air Force and Vanderbilt) for recruits that I had prioritized. I doubt they went all in, but they both offered scholarships - likely to see if they could cherry-pick and knock me down easily. The fact that you can recruit without spending money is not, in itself, anything that needs to be fixed. That method is a tool in your toolkit.

The reason scouting budget decreases as you go down is because it's supposed to be more local at lower levels. It's a feature, not a bug. Are you having trouble finding good players who fall through the cracks at D3 or D2? I haven't. Lots of people haven't. In fact, that was what sweetpeapapa's whole rant was based on, it's supposedly too easy. So frankly, I just don't know what you're talking about at all. Lower level scouting budgets are fine. Increasing them will only increase the instances of lower division teams snatching up those poor D1 team's plan B prospects (which you've also complained about).
I try not to comment when you make some of these posts, because I know you will dig your heels in, and I don't have time for that. You make a lot of statements of what 3.0 is bringing to the table as If they are new things, but either neglect the fact that these elements/"layers of strategy" already existed, or that your statement doesn't equal an ability to win.

Your keep talking about probability, because you want to pretty up the random dice roll factor. Old system was random too in the sense that you don't know how much someone else is going to spend on a guy. You only control the factors you can, but it's frustrating for many to know that even if your strategy was better, you might still lose. Your entire first paragraph is a basic description of what recruiting is without really addressing anything. How I prioritize, who I target, and how much I invest is literally no different than before, so this is not a newly added element of strategy. I still had contingency plans before. I could avoid certain battles before. Of course you can go after players of lower demand, but you can also expect to not compete.

2nd paragraph is whatever, nothing we don't already know.

3rd paragraph - I understand what you're saying, but wasn't one of the goals of the new system was to promote national recruiting? Isn't scouting supposed to be the star of this update? How fun is scouting for a new guy entering the game when he can't even fully scout 1/2 of the recruits in the local area? At my DIII school, I used to be able to scout the 3 surrounding states to my school and see all recruits at every division. Under the current system, I might be able to scout about 2/3 of the recruits at 1-2 levels, and that's only if I have a lot of openings to provide me more scouting money. With DIII recruits being virtually useless, I am forced to scout DI and DII only. Unfortunately, that means period 1 recruiting for me is setting AP and waiting for period 2. Not only is that not fun, but I now have less opportunities to fill my board since many recruits will either be gone, or picked up by the higher level schools. Before you try to tell me about my strategy, I already understand that's the risk I'm taking. Under the current system though, that is a necessary risk to compete. I'm still interested in the results of TJs DIII only players team. I'll be surprised if he gets past the 2nd round with them. Then again, it's possible. DIII is pretty empty these days and many of those new teams are already ghosts.
11/23/2016 3:56 AM
Posted by vandydave on 11/22/2016 10:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/22/2016 9:48:00 PM (view original):
Every time you post I feel sad for everyone reading it. Your unique blend of arrogance and ignorance is unparalleled.

So, as an ex-star of the sport of HD, do you think you'll make an excellent commentator for the televised games?

Seriously, I've left you and your little schtickless gang alone as I think it's sad grown men will troll a spinach recipe website(or whatever it was) in order to mess with old ladies exchanging recipes. That's pathetic. But, hey, if that makes you and your pal happy, go for it.
11/23/2016 7:00 AM
Posted by sweetpeapapa on 11/22/2016 10:50:00 PM (view original):
I feel bad for ya Mike. I really do. It really is sad reading your posts.

If I had your record in HD and WIS, I wouldn't go around acting like you understand any of these games. You're 500% across the board on almost 19,000 games across the website, including .530 in HD. Whatever you're doing, your strategies are just better than a flip of the coin. But you're consistent.

I wouldn't worry too much about my success at internet games if I were you. I don't.
11/23/2016 7:01 AM
Posted by poncho0091 on 11/23/2016 3:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/22/2016 1:43:00 PM (view original):
I understood what he meant.

He said that one didn't need to spend a dime in recruiting. Therefore, it stands to reason that the "best" strategy for a D3 is to scout, to level 1, as many D1 players as possible. No need to waste money on D2/D3 players as all you have to do is wait for the D1 guys. As I said, A/B is better than D/F. I only need to scout that deeply to be rolling in the D1 players at D3.
Mike, I know you're new here, but this post tells me every reason why you should not even be part of this argument. You're now caught up in an argument where you don't really have a clue what you are arguing, and instead of gracefully backing out understanding you don't know, you're going to dig your heels in and continue arguing. You don't even understand the game and you've already picked a side. There's another poster on here who does this same thing. I won't mention his name, but you get the idea.

If you really want to learn the game and determine if you like it on your own, then avoid threads like this. I expect you have enough sense to understand the thread topic from the header. You're coming across as arrogant considering your limited understanding of HD, which is evident in your post.
I'm being sarcastic. It doesn't always translate well on the internet.

I'll explain. Every gripe, and farewell post, begins and end with "It's all random anyway." I'm being a smartass because I think everyone knows that's BS.

I didn't realize there were sides. Do we get uniforms?
11/23/2016 7:04 AM
Although, I will admit, if there's a side that's tired of all the whining and crying, I have taken that side.

Short version:
It's a game on the internet. You can play it or you can find something else to do. It's just not that important(unless you're sweatpeepapa). I imagine EVERYONE has spoken their mind by now. Benis said it was worse a month ago, although that's hard to believe, so I can't imagine anyone hasn't weighed in. It's just time to move along if you don't like it. I don't think drastic changes are coming. So the only purpose of leaving but still posting is to be disruptive. Surely those folks, even vandydave, have better things to do.

And I will also admit I don't know if I'll like it next week. But, if I don't, you won't see me populating the HD forum with posts. I'll have found something else to do.
11/23/2016 7:21 AM
You just posted 4 straight times in this thread. If you want the conversation to die you could try not talking to yourself on the Internet for 30 straight minutes
11/23/2016 7:30 AM
Posted by poncho0091 on 11/23/2016 3:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by pkoopman on 11/22/2016 2:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 11/22/2016 12:47:00 PM (view original):
Well, PK, I am testing D1, D2 and D3... So I wonder what's false. D1 is a lottery, if you lose it, beware. I don't spend money in D2, D3 unless I need to push sims to low or v.low. The system needs ajustments. It can be perfected. Scouting limits your chances to find gems. If you win the lotteries, it's good, if not you need to dig deeper and money can be thin. As for D3, it would be fun to have a bit more money so the field of talent is a bit more discovered.
"D1 is a lottery". No it isn't. You could say that many battles for elite players become individual lotteries, if by lottery you mean a probability-based contest that you buy into. How you prioritize,who you target, and how much you invest determines how high your probability will be. If you understand that you may lose - because others may be prioritizing, targeting, and investing against you - you can either develop and execute contingency plans, or you can save up for next year. And if you have no taste for lotteries, and want to continue to avoid battles, you can target and lock down lower-demand players. Or you can mix and match. Lots of strategy choices to choose from. None of this "needs fixed asap".

You can recruit without spending money at D2/3, sure. You can also spend money, and fight D1s. With Abilene Christian, I fought off 2 human D1s (Air Force and Vanderbilt) for recruits that I had prioritized. I doubt they went all in, but they both offered scholarships - likely to see if they could cherry-pick and knock me down easily. The fact that you can recruit without spending money is not, in itself, anything that needs to be fixed. That method is a tool in your toolkit.

The reason scouting budget decreases as you go down is because it's supposed to be more local at lower levels. It's a feature, not a bug. Are you having trouble finding good players who fall through the cracks at D3 or D2? I haven't. Lots of people haven't. In fact, that was what sweetpeapapa's whole rant was based on, it's supposedly too easy. So frankly, I just don't know what you're talking about at all. Lower level scouting budgets are fine. Increasing them will only increase the instances of lower division teams snatching up those poor D1 team's plan B prospects (which you've also complained about).
I try not to comment when you make some of these posts, because I know you will dig your heels in, and I don't have time for that. You make a lot of statements of what 3.0 is bringing to the table as If they are new things, but either neglect the fact that these elements/"layers of strategy" already existed, or that your statement doesn't equal an ability to win.

Your keep talking about probability, because you want to pretty up the random dice roll factor. Old system was random too in the sense that you don't know how much someone else is going to spend on a guy. You only control the factors you can, but it's frustrating for many to know that even if your strategy was better, you might still lose. Your entire first paragraph is a basic description of what recruiting is without really addressing anything. How I prioritize, who I target, and how much I invest is literally no different than before, so this is not a newly added element of strategy. I still had contingency plans before. I could avoid certain battles before. Of course you can go after players of lower demand, but you can also expect to not compete.

2nd paragraph is whatever, nothing we don't already know.

3rd paragraph - I understand what you're saying, but wasn't one of the goals of the new system was to promote national recruiting? Isn't scouting supposed to be the star of this update? How fun is scouting for a new guy entering the game when he can't even fully scout 1/2 of the recruits in the local area? At my DIII school, I used to be able to scout the 3 surrounding states to my school and see all recruits at every division. Under the current system, I might be able to scout about 2/3 of the recruits at 1-2 levels, and that's only if I have a lot of openings to provide me more scouting money. With DIII recruits being virtually useless, I am forced to scout DI and DII only. Unfortunately, that means period 1 recruiting for me is setting AP and waiting for period 2. Not only is that not fun, but I now have less opportunities to fill my board since many recruits will either be gone, or picked up by the higher level schools. Before you try to tell me about my strategy, I already understand that's the risk I'm taking. Under the current system though, that is a necessary risk to compete. I'm still interested in the results of TJs DIII only players team. I'll be surprised if he gets past the 2nd round with them. Then again, it's possible. DIII is pretty empty these days and many of those new teams are already ghosts.
1) You still don't understand what the word "random" means, and are using it improperly. You should stop, it's starting to look like you're deliberately mischaracterizing what the recruiting game is now. I talk about probabilities because that's what the recruiting game is based on now, a probabilistic model rather than a deterministic one. 51 doesn't beat 49 100% of the time in recruiting. "Old system...don't know how much someone else was going to spend on a guy" isn't randomness or an example of a probabilistic model, it's just an unknown variable. No one said there were no unknown variables in the previous version. We just didn't think eBay bidding was a fun or realistic simulation of real life recruiting.

2) "It's frustrating for many to know that even if your strategy is better, you might still lose" is an incoherent objection. You may as well say "My horse was a better horse, his workout time was faster. How could he lose this race? I'm so frustrated!" or "I have the bigger, shinier and more expensive gun, it's frustrating that I could be killed in battle by a guy with a bayonet." If you consider losing a single recruit as an upset of your strategy in a probabilistic world, then your strategy wasn't better. Your strategy was myopic and poor.

3) "How I prioritize, who I target, and how much I invest is literally no different than before..." Even if literally true, which I doubt, the effects of those strategies and how they play in a multi-player universe, are now different. If you understand that 51 doesn't always beat 49 for a recruit, you can feel better about challenging others, and you can expect to be challenged more often. 3.0 promotes battles for valuable commodities, where the previous version incentivized risk aversion.

4) On that 3rd paragraph, as I recall, the stated goal was for national recruiting to be more feasible for elite recruits - so for high D1. The intention was never for D3 to recruit nationally, at least not "fully scouted" guys. For a new player, who isn't used to having an exhaustive and completely accurate current scouting report for literally every recruitable high school and juco player in the world at her/his fingertips, I suspect scouting will be fun to the extent that s/he enjoys the discovery process.
11/23/2016 7:49 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18|19...21 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.