Mid-terms are in. All my dudes passed. They're good at school, bad at basketball.

Do I need to leave time in study hall?
11/16/2016 5:52 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/16/2016 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Mid-terms are in. All my dudes passed. They're good at school, bad at basketball.

Do I need to leave time in study hall?
Yes! and if they are close to 2.0 then you might want to add a couple points. after the 2nd finals right before the conf tourney you can then remove all points from SH.
11/16/2016 6:15 PM
I would still leave the minutes in SH for ineligibles (which should be absolutely every minute available for them) as they will never improve their attributes (and I think the SH minutes would still help keep their GPA going even though there are no grades after the 2nd finals).
11/16/2016 6:24 PM
Yeah, leave a few minutes for study, especially for freshmen. You can look for a formula you like, or you can eyeball it. If the gpas for the term are all in the upper 3s, you can ease back a bit.

For freshmen, I always use at least 5 minutes.

3.5+ HS GPA - 5 minutes SH
3.3-3.49 - 6
3.1-3.29 - 7
2.9-3.09 - 8
2.7-2.89 - 9
2.5-2.69 - 10
2.3-2.49 - 12
under 2.3 - 15

That usually gets freshman to 3.0 or up. Then I eyeball for older guys. Generally 4-6 for sophomores, 2-4 for juniors, 0-2 for seniors.

Some coaches are less conservative, and do something like start freshmen at 5, sophomores at 2 and none for juniors and seniors. Then they typically adjust at mid-term, when needed (and it will be needed for a lot of kids this way).
11/16/2016 6:30 PM
OK, one more.

Most of my freshmen were over 3. I scaled them back(most had 9+). If I went too far and they drop below the designated cut-off(2.5?), when are they ineligible? And can I do anything before games start next season to make them eligible?
11/17/2016 10:18 AM
They have to stay above 2.0 (cumulative) at the end of semester. In Smith, you should have just gotten first term results. So they'll start over now (1st semester mid-terms after 6-7 games, end of term after 6 more days; 2nd semester mid-term 6 days later, 2nd semester end of term ~6 days after that).

If you want to scale them back a few notches, now is a decent time. Watch that next mid-term report about a week from now, and adjust, if necessary. After 2nd semester is done (should be another conference game or 3 left at that point) you can zero out study hall until next year.
11/17/2016 10:28 AM
I know Im probably in the minority, but after mid-terms I cut everyone back to 0 who passed so I can put those points elsewhere.

Now the exception is if someone is barely scraping by, then I leave 3-5 points on them.

Once I get their next round of grades I bump up accordingly, if someone has over a 3.0 I figure they do not need as much study hall to pass as someone with a 2.3.

Have never had someone fail doing this...
11/17/2016 12:07 PM
I find that pkoopman's listed minutes above WAAAAAAY overestimates needed SH time. I almost never have to use SH on a non-freshman, and usually then it was an ineligible or guy who had a 2.0-2.1 in HS.

Start with 0 mins for anyone with a HS GPA at 3 or above, 5 mins with 2.5-2.99 GPAs, 8-10 mins for those below that. Work up from there at midterms.

And, I didn't see if anyone answered this-- they are automatically eligible the next school year if they fail out in the 2nd semester.
11/17/2016 12:52 PM
As I said, my method is pretty conservative. I do go off script with players who have high potential in their core attributes. But it should be noted that players do go ineligible from time to time, so I personally think it's better to be more conservative in my advice to new players, rather than have them find out the hard way that it can be an issue when you try to skimp.
11/17/2016 1:17 PM
I normally do 5 minutes for freshmen 3.0 or higher. 10 mins for 2.5. 15 mins for 2.0 or lower.

For So players, 0 for 3.2 or higher. 5 for guys between 2.5 to 2.0. 1 or 2 for guys 2.5 to 3.2.

I only do SH rime for guys below 2.5 for JR or SR.

I will adjust up or down a bit based on the midterms
11/17/2016 2:11 PM
I've never done more than 7 minutes for study hall. Ever.

Nobody cares what your team GPA is. Just win the Championship, Baby.
11/17/2016 4:31 PM
My fake players are in school for an education first, basketball second.
11/17/2016 7:15 PM
I am telling Dean Wermer about this sad conversation
11/18/2016 12:47 AM
I always go 7 minutes for freshman no matter what their HS GPA was. Then I go 3 or 4 for SO's depending on if they are over 3.0 or under it and the 1 for Jr's and most of the time 0 for Sr's. Then I watch the midterm grades and adjust the players that are yellow and in danger. Most of my guys stay over 3.0 GPA this way, so that means it is probably overkill but I would rather have that than lose a player to grades, just to get a few extra points gained somewhere else.
11/18/2016 5:07 AM
Posted by pkoopman on 11/17/2016 1:17:00 PM (view original):
As I said, my method is pretty conservative. I do go off script with players who have high potential in their core attributes. But it should be noted that players do go ineligible from time to time, so I personally think it's better to be more conservative in my advice to new players, rather than have them find out the hard way that it can be an issue when you try to skimp.
You're right, there are occasional guys who go ineligible, so it is a risk. I'd say in the last 10-ish seasons it seems like the GPAs have become more volatile, but even so, I've lost 3 players in ~200 seasons with my method, so the risk is small.

If you have a stud player with a crappy GPA, give him some more minutes and make sure he stays eligible!
11/18/2016 8:54 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.