'A' Prestige D-I Loses to D-II -- Both Very High! Topic

If if your talking about Cody Larsen dropping Iowa for Florida then getting charged with robbery conviction then transferring down to the Jacks would not suffice
11/18/2016 6:40 PM
I don't have a name for the Iowa/Neb guy. He would have been a freshman in the 95-6 class. As I recall, he was recruited by both (I don't know if he ever got a scholarship offer from either, but the point was that he could have waited on them, but chose to sign early with the Jacks). I was working with the student newspaper at the time. I wasn't a sportswriter, but I knew the guy who wrote the story, he was a reliable source. ;)

Nate Wolters was recruited by Minnesota too, but similar story, he didn't get an early offer from them, and looked elsewhere (I believe he ultimately chose the Jacks over Colorado St).
11/18/2016 6:50 PM
Let's face it: it's ridiculous and if the player is a top caliber D1 player, it impacts both D1 and D2 negatively. Fix this.
11/18/2016 6:55 PM
Sigh.
11/18/2016 7:50 PM
I laugh when people try to defend this outcome. Its just plain silly. An A prestige D1 team is probably ranked around 10-25 depending on the world. A D2 beating out such a school would not happen in real life, especially under the circumstances described by the OP. Dumb outcome. People should own it, and we should try to fix things like from happening in the engine. To double down and support the outcome in the engine is silly.
11/18/2016 9:46 PM
Yeah,i would send in a ticket. It doesn't smell right that 5 HV's and 520 AP doesn't win a battle from high d1 vs d2.
11/18/2016 9:49 PM
Why didn't you crush the D-II with enough HVs to knock him off very high?  With no more carryover, "recruiting budget" should really be renamed "battle budget" since players can be signed with APs and a schollarship.  You have a resource and prestige advantage, no reason to be stingy.

also the flip side of the fix for what people called "poaching".
11/18/2016 10:30 PM (edited)
A D2 school should be able to compete with low D1. An A prestige SEC school is not low D1.
11/18/2016 11:42 PM
It's a simple solution. Keep the D-1 players to D-1, D-2 players to D-2 etc. There's no reason to mix the divisions. Keep them separate.

Don't worry, seble will be back in 5 years to fix everything.
11/18/2016 11:49 PM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 11/18/2016 11:42:00 PM (view original):
A D2 school should be able to compete with low D1. An A prestige SEC school is not low D1.
Well they wouldn't have been able to compete if effort was anything resembling close. At least that's been my experience as B-B+ level D1. You just pump in HVs until you knock the D2 down. If the D2 was all in, it probably would have taken 8-10 visits (estimating, I don't know all the details of preferences here) to knock them out of signing range, unless there was a massive AP advantage too, then maybe a couple more.

I dont love the system of effort and resources and bidding, either. I've always been an advocate of ditching *all* of that, and moving to a simple matter of prioritization via attention and promises, and prestige, and then the recruit makes choices based on preferences. But since most people seem to want to keep "bidding" for players, there are always going to be times when a higher prestige team gets beat where we know in the real world, it wouldn't happen; but for the purposes of gameplay, it happens, because the D1 coach simply got beat (or in this case, just failed to win, when it should have been able to quite easily).

When a high prestige D1 gets beaten by a lower division team in 3.0, it's because they didn't really prioritize the recruit. They were either caught napping, or it was a plan C scenario where they didn't have the resources left to really fight for anyone, and should have been looking for a stop-gap juco, or just take the walk on and fight again next year for a better prize.
11/19/2016 12:05 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 11/19/2016 12:06:00 AM (view original):
Well they wouldn't have been able to compete if effort was anything resembling close. At least that's been my experience as B-B+ level D1. You just pump in HVs until you knock the D2 down. If the D2 was all in, it probably would have taken 8-10 visits (estimating, I don't know all the details of preferences here) to knock them out of signing range, unless there was a massive AP advantage too, then maybe a couple more.

I dont love the system of effort and resources and bidding, either. I've always been an advocate of ditching *all* of that, and moving to a simple matter of prioritization via attention and promises, and prestige, and then the recruit makes choices based on preferences. But since most people seem to want to keep "bidding" for players, there are always going to be times when a higher prestige team gets beat where we know in the real world, it wouldn't happen; but for the purposes of gameplay, it happens, because the D1 coach simply got beat (or in this case, just failed to win, when it should have been able to quite easily).

When a high prestige D1 gets beaten by a lower division team in 3.0, it's because they didn't really prioritize the recruit. They were either caught napping, or it was a plan C scenario where they didn't have the resources left to really fight for anyone, and should have been looking for a stop-gap juco, or just take the walk on and fight again next year for a better prize.
Indeed
11/19/2016 1:13 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 11/19/2016 12:06:00 AM (view original):

I have to respectfully disagree in an EE situation.

If a team is trying to overcome the loss of a few EEs and they cannot even beat out a D-2 team, there are problems.

After the EEs leave the D-1 teams finally get the resources to try and contend for recruits. It seems like it is too late to even contend with D-2 teams as they weren't able to give attention to recruits early because they do not have the same resources.

In this system teams with EEs are left with scraps because everyone has jumped on all legitimate recruits.

IF they were given the resources in the first period for their EEs, then you shouldn't be able to jump in last minute and expect a recruit. That is completely fair and fine, but when they have to wait to get their resources, there is nothing they could do. It isn't bad planning, it being cheated of resources.
11/19/2016 1:33 AM
Posted by beanorocks20 on 11/18/2016 2:03:00 PM (view original):
How can an 'A' prestige D-I team lose to a D-II team when both are considered very high? Who would design a game that runs like that?

Campus visit, multiple home visits, 15 min of PT, plus more than 500 Attention points were given by D-I team, which has had an RPI of 22 or better the past 11 Years!!

Random and chance are one thing, but this is completely unrealistic.

Trying to stay with this "game," but this is getting stupid.
I think if I had been in that situation, I would have put in multiple home visits as the D1 to be sure there was no chance of this happening. If I was out of money, I would have offered the start. I bet this would have pushed the D2 to moderate. In a case like that, I may not have wanted to start the kid, but I end up starting them and then using minutes instead of fatigue, and giving the new player the minimum minutes I can. Since you promised him 15 minutes, you could set him on 14-18 minutes. Once the CT and NT start, you no longer have to start him.
11/19/2016 7:16 AM
While I didn't end up winning, here's what just happened last night.

I'm at D3 CNU (A+) and I just lost a battle to D1 West Virginia (C+) BUT I was actually Very High to WVU's high.

Here's the amount of effort I put in
-200 APs
-Promised Start and 10 minutes

That's it. And I almost beat a B6 team. I don't know how much effort they put in, nor do I really care. I really don't think this makes sense. And CLEARLY I'm not 'whining about losing my candy' because I'm the D3 team that lost.
11/19/2016 7:24 AM
Maybe there is some kind of adjustment that could be made in the programming where it is a head to head battle with a higher division team, the odds could be reduced.
11/19/2016 7:27 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...13 Next ▸
'A' Prestige D-I Loses to D-II -- Both Very High! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.