'A' Prestige D-I Loses to D-II -- Both Very High! Topic

It almost sounds like there could be a coding error where there is no difference between an A+ prestige D1 team and an A+ prestige D3 team. Sure the letter grades are the same but they are actually relative to the division. The D1 grade should be weighted higher, but I wonder if it really is in the code.
11/19/2016 7:47 AM
Posted by Benis on 11/19/2016 7:25:00 AM (view original):
While I didn't end up winning, here's what just happened last night.

I'm at D3 CNU (A+) and I just lost a battle to D1 West Virginia (C+) BUT I was actually Very High to WVU's high.

Here's the amount of effort I put in
-200 APs
-Promised Start and 10 minutes

That's it. And I almost beat a B6 team. I don't know how much effort they put in, nor do I really care. I really don't think this makes sense. And CLEARLY I'm not 'whining about losing my candy' because I'm the D3 team that lost.
I suspect that starts and minutes have way more of an impact than before.
11/19/2016 8:53 AM
Posted by hypnotoad on 11/19/2016 7:47:00 AM (view original):
It almost sounds like there could be a coding error where there is no difference between an A+ prestige D1 team and an A+ prestige D3 team. Sure the letter grades are the same but they are actually relative to the division. The D1 grade should be weighted higher, but I wonder if it really is in the code.
Seble added in a division multiplier but we have no idea how big it is.

And yeah TJ- Promises are definitely way more impactful than before. Not sure how many HVs equal a start (maybe 10?) but I think before it was like 2 or 3 right?
11/19/2016 10:51 AM
Posted by Benis on 11/19/2016 10:51:00 AM (view original):

And yeah TJ- Promises are definitely way more impactful than before. Not sure how many HVs equal a start (maybe 10?) but I think before it was like 2 or 3 right?
A promised start is huge, when one team has it and the other doesn't. Even for players who have no playing time preference. I'm not sure a lot of people are fully accounting for this yet.
11/19/2016 11:52 AM
Posted by pkoopman on 11/19/2016 11:52:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 11/19/2016 10:51:00 AM (view original):

A promised start is huge, when one team has it and the other doesn't. Even for players who have no playing time preference. I'm not sure a lot of people are fully accounting for this yet.
I think the problem is that my promised start was for a D3 team vs a D1. That is HUGE ground to make up just with a promise. I don't think it's properly balanced.
11/19/2016 11:57 AM

I'm at D3 CNU (A+) and I just lost a battle to D1 West Virginia (C+) BUT I was actually Very High to WVU's high.

-200 APs

That's it. And I almost beat a B6 team. I don't know how much effort they put in, nor do I really care. I really don't think this makes sense. And CLEARLY I'm not 'whining about losing my candy' because I'm the D3 team that lost.
Agreed Benis. Doesn't pass the smell test really. Thanks for sharing.
11/19/2016 1:19 PM
I don't know, if be is had said 15 hvs and wvu only offered a scholarship I think it would smell right.
11/19/2016 2:02 PM
"Seble added in a division multiplier but we have no idea how big it is."

Actually, we do. He said it was so big that there was NO overlap in prestige between the divisions. Even the lowest D1 has higher prestige than the highest D2, and the lowest D2 has higher prestige than the highest D3.
11/19/2016 2:25 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 11/19/2016 2:25:00 PM (view original):

Actually, we do. He said it was so big that there was NO overlap in prestige between the divisions. Even the lowest D1 has higher prestige than the highest D2, and the lowest D2 has higher prestige than the highest D3.
This makes me wonder what *exactly* the multiplier/modifier is, and if it is even being applied correctly.
11/19/2016 2:34 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 11/19/2016 2:34:00 PM (view original):

This makes me wonder what *exactly* the multiplier/modifier is, and if it is even being applied correctly.
exactly Hynotoad, saying that there is no overlap is absolutely not what we're talking about. I thought Spud would know that since, ya know, he's so smart. A is > B. Great job. Not helpful on how MUCH greater.

We don't even know what the multiplier benefit is between A prestige and D prestige within the division, so how are we supposed to know what it is between the divisions. i.e. all other things equal does 1 HV from A prestige equal 2 HV from a D prestige? We don't even know how many APs equal an HV.

No one knows this and anyone who says they do has either A) done a bunch of comparisons collaborating with another coach (entirely possible but a little bit of work) or B) is just full of it.
11/19/2016 2:55 PM
Posted by Benis on 11/19/2016 2:55:00 PM (view original):

exactly Hynotoad, saying that there is no overlap is absolutely not what we're talking about. I thought Spud would know that since, ya know, he's so smart. A is > B. Great job. Not helpful on how MUCH greater.

We don't even know what the multiplier benefit is between A prestige and D prestige within the division, so how are we supposed to know what it is between the divisions. i.e. all other things equal does 1 HV from A prestige equal 2 HV from a D prestige? We don't even know how many APs equal an HV.

No one knows this and anyone who says they do has either A) done a bunch of comparisons collaborating with another coach (entirely possible but a little bit of work) or B) is just full of it.
Spud is correct about prestige multiplier. WIS said there is no overlap. D- team in D1 is better than an A+ D2 team. Same for D3.. D- D2 better than A+ D3.
11/19/2016 3:02 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 11/19/2016 8:53:00 AM (view original):

-200 APs

This is especially true for wants to play.
11/19/2016 3:03 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 11/19/2016 3:02:00 PM (view original):

Spud is correct about prestige multiplier. WIS said there is no overlap. D- team in D1 is better than an A+ D2 team. Same for D3.. D- D2 better than A+ D3.
I never said it wasn't correct. What I said was, this is not what we're talking about and it still doesn't tell us the magnitude.

100 is greater than 50. 100 is also greater than 90. Big difference understanding generalities and understanding the specifics.

So, we know D- Prestige at D1 is better than A+ at D2 but we don't know HOW much.
11/19/2016 3:23 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 11/19/2016 3:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 11/19/2016 8:53:00 AM (view original):

-200 APs

This is especially true for wants to play.
definitely true. This particular player had no preference for playing time though.
11/19/2016 3:24 PM
Posted by Benis on 11/19/2016 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 11/19/2016 3:02:00 PM (view original):

I never said it wasn't correct. What I said was, this is not what we're talking about and it still doesn't tell us the magnitude.

100 is greater than 50. 100 is also greater than 90. Big difference understanding generalities and understanding the specifics.

So, we know D- Prestige at D1 is better than A+ at D2 but we don't know HOW much.
And WIS isn't about to tell us. And they would be correct in taking that approach, imo. Judgement calls are what makes this game so good, and removing judgement by displaying the blueprints would lessen the game.
11/19/2016 3:51 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...13 Next ▸
'A' Prestige D-I Loses to D-II -- Both Very High! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.