For Spud, D1 facts Topic

Posted by rsvphr on 11/19/2016 7:35:00 AM (view original):
The fix with EE's should be simple and easy to deal with: Have them declare prior to recruiting period and treat them like seniors. Don't need to make complex programming adjustments and it's unfair to no one.
We are an EE fix, job logic fix and a recruiting tweak or two away from this game being really good. Not perfect and not satisfying every voice 100 per cent but really good. And if we want lots of people to play, really good is a really good idea.
The counter argument to this "fix" is that if EEs declare early and you give teams those resources before recruiting starts then there is very little that deters coaches from focusing on building a team built almost entirely of EE caliber players. I don't think that the developers believe a fix is needed because I don't think they believe the process is broken. I think their intent was to encourage coaches to focus on team building that doesn't rely solely on EE talent. I think that is why they are not taking action on the issue.

They set the price of an EE caliber player very high. As a coach you can recruit them with more competition and risk and if you land them you know you will only have them for two or three seasons with no compensating resources until it is almost too late in the recruiting process to matter. But the talent they bring is also high. We the coaches are the marketplace for those players. If that price was too high for the talent elite players bring then nobody would recruit them. We'd all decide they aren't worth having on our team and we'd look somewhere else.

That hasn't happened though. Coaches are still recruiting the EEs. So the market place is telling you the current price structure is high but it isn't too high.

Clamoring for a fix to this issue is nothing more than asking for a lower price so you can afford more. That doesn't seem to comport with the way they designed the new recruiting. You are still welcome to buy EE caliber players in plentiful supply if you so choose. That choice is still yours to make, but don't suggest it's unfair that the cost is so high for buying that talent, you know that going in now.
11/19/2016 8:35 AM (edited)
Very valid point. It will take a mindset change to only recruit one or two 5 stars because EE becomes a punitive outcome. A middle ground could be reduced attention points for EE's, maybe 10 or 15 vs 20 in the scenario where they declare early. But, again, I see the logic of your assessment.
I must say, in the BETA I had a season with 1 EE and no seniors. I assumed he would go so I scouted and recruited under that assumption. I focused on late deciders only and ended up with the number 8 point guard. So the problem is clearly exacerbated by EE volume. Ga Tech in Iba had 5. He never stood a chance.
11/19/2016 8:47 AM

It will take a mindset change to only recruit one or two 5 stars because EE becomes a punitive outcome.

Yes, and I think seble made that very clear from the outset of this redesign, old habits die hard though. If you look at EEs now as just one tool necessary to build a successful team it opens the door for more competition and more fluidity and that's good for the game. This design actually allows more inventive and strategic ways to build a team that can compete that didn't exist before and that's good for the game too.

I actually think one could still build a very successful team focusing almost primarily on EEs but there is the potential for some downside seasons in between. But think about Kentucky, which is the oft sited example of a team that replenishes EEs on an annual basis, they have missed the NCAA tournament in two of the last eight seasons. How many teams with multiple EEs in this game can say that?

Don't get me wrong, I am used to dealing with EEs too, I think they stink when they happen to me. But I still think the redesign - while still needing some improvements - is good for the overall game.
11/19/2016 9:02 AM
Possum, again, I think you expressed that view well. I re-posted on a thread I have started and did not attribute to you since I didn't ask your permission. If you'd like, I'll edit the post to attribute it to you.

Thanks. Great evaluation on your part.
11/19/2016 9:10 AM
Posted by possumfiend on 11/19/2016 8:35:00 AM (view original):
The fix with EE's should be simple and easy to deal with: Have them declare prior to recruiting period and treat them like seniors. Don't need to make complex programming adjustments and it's unfair to no one.
We are an EE fix, job logic fix and a recruiting tweak or two away from this game being really good. Not perfect and not satisfying every voice 100 per cent but really good. And if we want lots of people to play, really good is a really good idea.
The counter argument to this "fix" is that if EEs declare early and you give teams those resources before recruiting starts then there is very little that deters coaches from focusing on building a team built almost entirely of EE caliber players. I don't think that the developers believe a fix is needed because I don't think they believe the process is broken. I think their intent was to encourage coaches to focus on team building that doesn't rely solely on EE talent. I think that is why they are not taking action on the issue.

They set the price of an EE caliber player very high. As a coach you can recruit them with more competition and risk and if you land them you know you will only have them for two or three seasons with no compensating resources until it is almost too late in the recruiting process to matter. But the talent they bring is also high. We the coaches are the marketplace for those players. If that price was too high for the talent elite players bring then nobody would recruit them. We'd all decide they aren't worth having on our team and we'd look somewhere else.

That hasn't happened though. Coaches are still recruiting the EEs. So the market place is telling you the current price structure is high but it isn't too high.

Clamoring for a fix to this issue is nothing more than asking for a lower price so you can afford more. That doesn't seem to comport with the way they designed the new recruiting. You are still welcome to buy EE caliber players in plentiful supply if you so choose. That choice is still yours to make, but don't suggest it's unfair that the cost is so high for buying that talent, you know that going in now.
So perhaps an idea would be to undo seble's mangling of recruit generation, so the top 40 or so players aren't so amazing and the next 100 or so aren't so mediocre?

Then we'd be back in a spot when low and mid major DI schools could compete nationally, even under the old recruiting system.
11/19/2016 10:44 AM
Posted by acn24 on 11/19/2016 10:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by possumfiend on 11/19/2016 8:35:00 AM (view original):

So perhaps an idea would be to undo seble's mangling of recruit generation, so the top 40 or so players aren't so amazing and the next 100 or so aren't so mediocre?

Then we'd be back in a spot when low and mid major DI schools could compete nationally, even under the old recruiting system.
I don't disagree that recruit generation was/is problematic and could have been fixed, I've never disagreed with you on this. The game has had and still has issues that aren't perfect and where improvements could be made.
11/19/2016 11:08 AM
"Holy ****. You cannot be that bat **** stupid, spud. No one can honestly believe EEs are not the largest problem in 3.0. I have never played D1 ..."

Hmm, this thread wasn't about EE's until you turned it into another whiny thread about, you guessed it, EE's. That makes about 50 whiny threads about EE's, so I for one am sure glad we have yet another one. OP, whatever your point was, it's sure gone now.

EE's may well be the largest problem in 3.0 in the minds of a handful of massively entitled coaches and a few others who drink the KoolAid, but it certainly isn't about the game itself. Have you even read any of the discussion? Do you understand the points that pkoopman makes, to cite just one example? How about attempting intelligent discussion of the matter, starting with any post that intelligently discusses the matter. Let's try to elevate the conversation, okay?
(Edited to remove snark.) (Even though it would have been well deserved.)
11/19/2016 2:11 PM (edited)
Snark was removed?
11/19/2016 2:43 PM
You should have seen it before.

Let's try to elevate the conversation, okay?
11/19/2016 3:05 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 11/18/2016 8:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kcsundevil on 11/18/2016 8:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachWard95 on 11/18/2016 7:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 11/18/2016 7:06:00 PM (view original):
After losing two battles, random dice, i positioned myself to get two players to avoid walk-on penalty... Tell me what do you think of my players once they reach their D1 full potential, which means they are bench warmers for now maybe forever bench warmers unless I can get Clemson to play D2.

player 1 : 55 ath, 75 spd, 65 def, 63 lp, 76 per, 87bh, 80 pas, b- ft

player 2: 65 ath, 48 spd, 94 reb, 78 def, 94 blk, 58 lp, 69 per, 49 bh, 59 pas.

I hope for a nt run in D2 in four years since random negated my chances to improve in the last two recruting session. How to plan against the dice Spud?
Simple, put more effort into recruting that's how you beat the odds.
Sweet advice! You should start a YouTube channel giving n00bs HD advice.
That could be a idea for the future.
I think kcsundevil is on to something here. I'm interested in hearing more.
11/19/2016 3:10 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 11/19/2016 3:10:00 PM (view original):
After losing two battles, random dice, i positioned myself to get two players to avoid walk-on penalty... Tell me what do you think of my players once they reach their D1 full potential, which means they are bench warmers for now maybe forever bench warmers unless I can get Clemson to play D2.

I hope for a nt run in D2 in four years since random negated my chances to improve in the last two recruting session. How to plan against the dice Spud?
I don't want to give away too much! I would rather you guys keep data and work as hard as I did on the game to find it out to!
11/19/2016 6:17 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 11/19/2016 6:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 11/19/2016 3:10:00 PM (view original):

I don't want to give away too much! I would rather you guys keep data and work as hard as I did on the game to find it out to!
?
11/19/2016 8:20 PM
◂ Prev 12
For Spud, D1 facts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.