Auto-signing question re: 3.0 Topic

I saw the post below from mullycy (thanks for catching this mully), and so I wanted to see if anyone has direct experience with what happens when you have 4 or more openings at the end of recruiting.

My questions are:
1) Does this actually happen? If so, are there conditions that trigger and/or prevent the occurrence?
2) If it does happen, do you recover the recruiting funds immediately, or do you have to wait until the following recruiting cycle?

My direct interest stems from the fact that I'm going to have 4 openings, and since the deadline to rescind scholarships occurs BEFORE this signing, an auto-signing (to get me down to 3 openings) will stick my team with a poor player. I'll rescind the scholarship as soon as possible, but if this won't increase my recruiting budget immediately, the auto-signing will destroy a full opening worth of scouting/recruiting power.

I'm hoping to learn asap so I can know what I'm up against with 3.0. Thanks for any fact-based insight you can give, and if this has been asked and answered before, forgive me for gumming up the forum. Good luck to everyone with their teams.

POST FROM MULLY:

AUTO SIGNING:

Human coached teams will now auto-sign players after recruiting ends to get to 3 openings or less. So, if a team has 5 openings, they would auto-sign 2 players. The auto-sign logic at the end of recruiting will only sign guys to teams at their projected level. That means teams won't get lucky with a leftover from a higher division, and also won't get stuck with a guy from a lower division.

^^^^^ Not always true ^^^^^
Year Pos. Status* GPA Ht. Wt. Hometown Signed By
Roy Deal Sr. PG S 3.1 5'10" 167 Las Vegas, NV Sim AI
Diego Marquez Sr. PG S 3.3 5'11" 161 Trujillo Alto, PR Sim AI
Andrew Boger Jr. PG S 3.8 5'11" 170 East Moline, IL captcluch
Anthony Kilpatrick Fr. PG S - 6'1" 175 Stanton, KY captcluch
Sherman McGlaun Jr. PF S 3.7 6'9" 232 Brooklyn, NY captcluch
Daniel Perkins Jr. PF S 3.7 6'8" 208 Shinnston, WV captcluch
Thomas Marro Jr. C S 3.3 6'8" 234 Huntingdon, TN captcluch
William Gallagher Fr. SG W - 6'2" 187 South Bend, IN Sim AI
William Ryan Fr. SG W - 6'1" 174 Zionsville, IN Sim AI
Joseph Powell Fr. SF W - 6'2" 199 Brookville, IN Sim AI
James Smith Fr. SF W - 6'2" 205 Poseyville, IN Sim AI
Stephen Terry Fr. C W - 6'7" 231 Evansville, IN Sim AI
11/20/2016 10:30 AM
This does happen, but they are usually better than walk ons in terms of talent.
11/20/2016 10:50 AM
Thanks, chapelhillne. Do you know if you recover the associated recruiting funds when you rescind the scholarship? Also, from mully's post above, it seems like it doesn't always happen. Do you know if that's true, and if so, what causes it to happen or not? Thanks again.
11/20/2016 11:00 AM
You will only be allowed to take 3 walkons. If you have more than 3 walkons, you will get players signed to a scholarship to bring walkons down to 3.

So, if you would sign 4 walkons .. you will have 3 walkons and on scholly player.

If you were going to take 5 walkons .. 2 signed and 3 walkons.
11/20/2016 4:24 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 11/20/2016 4:25:00 PM (view original):
You will only be allowed to take 3 walkons. If you have more than 3 walkons, you will get players signed to a scholarship to bring walkons down to 3.

So, if you would sign 4 walkons .. you will have 3 walkons and on scholly player.

If you were going to take 5 walkons .. 2 signed and 3 walkons.
True. It looks like the example in the original post may have been taken from a time before this change went into effect.
11/20/2016 4:27 PM
Do you know if I'll recover the slot's worth of recruiting budget when I rescind the scholarship?
11/20/2016 5:02 PM
You will, still assuming you are talking about a player that was there before you.
11/20/2016 5:20 PM
why does this exist?
11/20/2016 6:13 PM
Spud, to clarify, this will be AFTER my first recruiting time at my new school. I had 7 spots and signed 3, leaving me with 4 spots. I REALLY don't want that auto signed recruit, IF when I rescind his scholarship, it doesn't give me the spot's worth of budget. In effect, the SIM will be destroying an opening's worth of funds, not only hindering next season's recruiting, but increasing the chance of having more than 3 unfilled spots after NEXT season's recruiting, producing the same issue, more or less perpetually.
11/20/2016 6:38 PM
Posted by jskenner on 11/20/2016 6:38:00 PM (view original):
Spud, to clarify, this will be AFTER my first recruiting time at my new school. I had 7 spots and signed 3, leaving me with 4 spots. I REALLY don't want that auto signed recruit, IF when I rescind his scholarship, it doesn't give me the spot's worth of budget. In effect, the SIM will be destroying an opening's worth of funds, not only hindering next season's recruiting, but increasing the chance of having more than 3 unfilled spots after NEXT season's recruiting, producing the same issue, more or less perpetually.
I'm still not clear if you are talking about a player that was there before you, or if you were already the coach when he was auto-signed. I never rescind someone I sign, so I don't know for sure from first hand experience. If you were the coach when he was auto-signed, he counts the same as if you signed him. And if you are talking about trying to rescind a player who was signed in recruiting period 1 and has yet to play, you cannot do that.
11/20/2016 9:16 PM (edited)
That's what I'm guessing too, Spud. Bummer if so. We'll see soon enough.
11/20/2016 9:21 PM
Posted by jskenner on 11/20/2016 6:38:00 PM (view original):
Right .. however, they don't want to allow taking a bunch of walkons as a strategy, so they limit it to 3.

I'm not saying it is good or bad, just telling you the rule :)
11/21/2016 11:35 AM
Agree, hughesjr. It is what it is, and I'll have to adjust.
11/21/2016 11:56 AM
Auto-signing question re: 3.0 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.