Thoughts on how to Improve D-1 Topic

I think the field is levelwd but Wiz is right, I had built Clemson slowly from nothing to a sweet sixteen, then wait four more years to get a shot to go deeper, then wait and it's thus year, we are doing fine, even thought SC hasn't been the state of talent, then comes 3.0 and I lose all the rolls in two seasons. Next year, I am in a whole when my seniors depart, if I get unlucky again, it's going to be tough... I practiced in other D1 worlds, where I won't remain and have seen the same results, heck an international star, prefer going to D2 than Purdue. He is over 600, promised start, 20 minutes, 3 hvs worth 3k and I was kept yo moderate...
11/27/2016 7:59 PM
The question from the beginning of development of the update was....why didn't they figure out that in-season recruiting was a lousy idea?! A lot of things have to get tweaked to avoid all the problems created by having 2 cycles...new/returning coaches have to waste a season playing with players that they didn't recruit...EEs become a complete disaster for teams playing catch-up...2 - a - day & 1 - a - day worlds don't have recruiting start after the same game...transfers are handled in a completely nonsensical way. How did they not abort that concept early on in development? New users might find it an adjustment (or not like RL), but, strictly in terms of gameplay, it makes no sense whatever to have recruiting during the season. Zero.

That said, the basic problem is that a Duke or Marquette or event UAB, can lose an EE or lose a battle and not be able to put in enough AP to unlock actions in time to prevent a backup target recruit from signing a division down. That's just stupid. Further, even at D3 or D2, when a user takes a new job and has to start recruiting in cycle #2, they can find themselves sitting on a pile of cash that they simply cannot spend (due to being unable to unlock actions fast enough). You want to talk about a way to chase away new users! They have to realize that the issue resolves in year 2 at any new job and be willing to stick it out.

Since I doubt WIS will be willing to kill off in-season recruiting (which is option A), then option B is to tweak the AP unlock at the start of cycle #2 to make it such that higher division/prestige teams can put a hold on recruits signing by down division/prestige teams by putting in sufficient AP (e.g. when UNC puts in 50 AP in the first cycle of period #2, that should stop a recruit cold from signing at DII).
11/27/2016 9:55 PM
The right solution is the one they are hopefully going with: announce BEFORE Recruiting Session 1 who is going to EE, and provide resources for those open spots. It is the simplest solution and while losing a Frosh, Soph, or even Junior before their IQ matures and they are at peak, it balances the problem to the point where you are no longer penalizing strong teams for being strong.
11/28/2016 4:45 PM
Posted by lakevin on 11/28/2016 4:45:00 PM (view original):
The right solution is the one they are hopefully going with: announce BEFORE Recruiting Session 1 who is going to EE, and provide resources for those open spots. It is the simplest solution and while losing a Frosh, Soph, or even Junior before their IQ matures and they are at peak, it balances the problem to the point where you are no longer penalizing strong teams for being strong.
Still other stuff to fix.
11/28/2016 6:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/27/2016 3:50:00 PM (view original):
I posted this a few days ago. I believe it's WHY WifS changed recruiting:

HD was very similar to real-life. Frank Martin is sitting down with a recruit, telling him how they're building something at SC, how they want the kid to be part of it, expounds on his success at Kansas, etc, etc. The kid is pumped. He'd like to go to the NCAAs in his freshman year, he'd like a school with a history of more success, he'd prefer the coach have a record of sending players to the NBA, he wishes the coach had been there longer term but, right now, SC is the best school showing interest.
Then, two days later, Coach Cal shows up at his door. He goes to Kentucky.

That's real-life. But it's a terrible model to sell if you're not the "Coach Cal" of HD. As I understand HD now, the kid MIGHT chose Martin and SC. No guarantee but Martin can make a huge sales push and maybe tilt the odds a little bit in his favor. Coach Cal can make a similar push and keep the odds on his side or he can get mad and quit the coaching game.

The current model is much better for the vast majority of the consumer base. And I get it sucks for the Coach Cal contingent. But, truth is, you guys would still be better at the game than the rest of us.
I like the idea of USCeast being able to keep UK off a recruit that the gamecocks are deep into, but I don't like the idea of kennesaw st being able to beat out Florida because Fla couldn't build up enough att pts and visits before the recruit triggers his signing period. That is a terrible idea. Like mentioned above one a "B" prestige school show attention then the DII should b done til the "B" school decides he doesn't want the recruit
11/28/2016 11:44 PM
OK, I'll ignore the issues with EE because, as a D3, I'm just trying to find a slice of ham to put in my mustard and cheese sandwich while the D1s losing great players early are simply deciding whether to have filet mignon or lobster for brunch.

In your scenario, FL is showing up late. One can assume it's because the player in question wasn't a priority and they lost one that was(or EE but I'm ignoring that). Kennesaw St has been all over him. Somebody is going to miss out. What's the real-life scenario? KS loses him. What's a better product to sell to the consumer? FL is penalized for being late to the party. You can't let KS dump tons of resources into a player and then take him away because a big program shows up at the last minute.

The obvious solution is that KS can never recruit a player that can be stolen at the last minute by a big program. But, if that's not the system, they can't be penalized, and by "they" I mean the user, for doing everything right.

11/29/2016 7:45 AM
"The question from the beginning of development of the update was....why didn't they figure out that in-season recruiting was a lousy idea?"

And the answer is that it has turned out to be a really good addition to the game.
11/29/2016 11:31 AM
That's probably debatable(and is). Seems to me that a "new" coach would like to start forming his team the way he wants to immediately. That would require a pre-season recruiting session. With that in hand, a 2nd session, to recruit for players leaving at season's end, would make sense. That should alleviate some on the hand-wringing over EE, effectively giving users 2 sessions(2nd session in current, 1st session in next) to recover from that unexpected loss. And, if an owner ****** away his recruiting budget in current season AND comes up empty handed, he can still recover.

None of that is going to happen but it seems like a way to solve some problems.
11/29/2016 12:36 PM
I like the way things are right now Including recruiting battles.

The EE thing will be fixed by itself in a couple of seasons. The reasons people have so many EEs right now is because of the problem with 2.0 recruiting.

The one addition that might benefit recruiting is making all transfers open to that level. Let's say someone leaves or is cut from a D1 school. That recruit would be able to be seen by all D1 teams in their recruiting pool. This might help fill temporary holes for teams needing to balance out their classes now and going forward.

11/29/2016 1:36 PM
I've not been thru enough to know anything more than I don't know enough but I liked being able to start building my team when I took it over. This season, my first in 10 years, was a lost season. I had 7 freshmen and I can only really see 2, maybe 3, being seniors. I'd have liked to have had the opportunity to sign some guys. Of course, I'd have probably screwed it up, I'm sure a 1st time player would, and still have a lost season. But I'd have learned some ins/outs of recruiting by making those mistakes. Now, if I screwed up, it's 2 lost seasons. Ugh.
11/29/2016 1:44 PM
I don't mind most of the new setup but what I don't like is the timing thing. If u fill all your schollies 1st cycle you sit for a long time waiting for hiring and 2nd session recruiting to end. Lots of downtime sux and I lose interest.
11/29/2016 3:04 PM
Yes, downtime sucks and the recruiting process is (I believe) the most fun aspect of the season. However, if you were skilled enough to fill all your scholarships with qualified players during Session 1, you should count your blessings!
11/29/2016 4:44 PM
Posted by ftbeaglesfan on 11/29/2016 1:36:00 PM (view original):
I like the way things are right now Including recruiting battles.

The EE thing will be fixed by itself in a couple of seasons. The reasons people have so many EEs right now is because of the problem with 2.0 recruiting.

The one addition that might benefit recruiting is making all transfers open to that level. Let's say someone leaves or is cut from a D1 school. That recruit would be able to be seen by all D1 teams in their recruiting pool. This might help fill temporary holes for teams needing to balance out their classes now and going forward.

I think your last point is dead-on. I think all transfers should be open to L4 scouting right away. Here is why: IRL, if there is a D1 transfer, you can get tape of every minute he has played college ball. If a player transfers from Minnesota, another D1 coach can get a good gauge of that player's abilities by watching every Minnesota game that the player appeared in. And the fact that the player has been released from his scholarship is basically a matter of public record. There is no need to send an assistant coach out there to find him -- you know who he is and can scout him sitting in your office with an iPad.

And this makes it easier for teams to fill their scholarships because even if they have blown through their scouting budget, they would still be able to see and recruit these players.
11/29/2016 4:53 PM
The ee problem and fix has been obvious from the beginning. Declare early before recruiting.
They just chose to screw teams further on purpose to level the playing field more quickly.
Im still ****** off about this as I lost 5 early and will lose more this year, taking my team from elite to above average overnight.

As ive said repeatedly, that's the only major issue I have. I do think they over-corrected in some areas, but this one will always frustrate me to no end, has caused me to drop every team but one, and will have me play out my free seasons and then be done.

They knew the problem and ignored it intentionally with purpose.
11/29/2016 5:55 PM
There are a lot of features I like about the game. However, the one thing I do find frustrating is the inability to view all the recruits or at least a good percentage of them. Even with 6 open schollies at D-1 I can only view about 1/3 of them at level 4. At 2.0 you had the option to view all of them with the scouting service.
11/29/2016 6:10 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...13 Next ▸
Thoughts on how to Improve D-1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.