Sim Switching to 2-3? Topic

Maybe this has been answered before and I just can't find it, but has anyone else encountered SIM (D1) switching from Press or M2M to all of a sudden this season implementing a 2-3 zone? I've run across this in three straight games now, and didn't know if it was a glitch, or a purposeful change to diversify the game...

Thanks for the insight!

11/27/2016 2:37 PM
Sim teams will default back to their "original" defense (the one they were assigned when the game first started) whereas before they would employ the defensive style that they had the best overall IQ rating for (which, barring a massive superclass graduation, meant they stayed in whatever their last human owner ran). If you're noticing the change from this season to last (say, in the case of league opponents) that's probably what it is.
11/27/2016 2:52 PM
Posted by rednu on 11/27/2016 2:52:00 PM (view original):
Sim teams will default back to their "original" defense (the one they were assigned when the game first started) whereas before they would employ the defensive style that they had the best overall IQ rating for (which, barring a massive superclass graduation, meant they stayed in whatever their last human owner ran). If you're noticing the change from this season to last (say, in the case of league opponents) that's probably what it is.
If this is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't except never having seen the first source document), after reading that post I was initially flabbergasted, but upon second thought kinda like the idea given that there was an even distribution of defenses at the singularity (aka, the beginning of each world).

Which immediately lead to another question: Besides the general bias that press has the best payoff, man is a close second, and zone only works in certain divisions...what other factors could be incentivizing users abandon the zone???

And not to be oversimplistic, but it's a solution that I (and others) have been requesting FOR YEARS, and its that coaches should be able to set team and individual defensive settings ahead of time (to a certain extent).

The very first thung I've told coaches I've mentored that want to run zone is, "I really really like the zone, but you gotta be willing to gameplan on a DAILY basis if you want to be successful". So, if all WIS cares about these days is user retention, while also wanting to promote diversity within the game, then maybe they should consider taking the free advice offered to them instead of putting sim teams at even more of a perceived disadvantage.
11/27/2016 11:18 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 11/27/2016 11:18:00 PM (view original):
If this is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't except never having seen the first source document), after reading that post I was initially flabbergasted, but upon second thought kinda like the idea given that there was an even distribution of defenses at the singularity (aka, the beginning of each world).

Which immediately lead to another question: Besides the general bias that press has the best payoff, man is a close second, and zone only works in certain divisions...what other factors could be incentivizing users abandon the zone???

And not to be oversimplistic, but it's a solution that I (and others) have been requesting FOR YEARS, and its that coaches should be able to set team and individual defensive settings ahead of time (to a certain extent).

The very first thung I've told coaches I've mentored that want to run zone is, "I really really like the zone, but you gotta be willing to gameplan on a DAILY basis if you want to be successful". So, if all WIS cares about these days is user retention, while also wanting to promote diversity within the game, then maybe they should consider taking the free advice offered to them instead of putting sim teams at even more of a perceived disadvantage.
FYI -- Taken from the 10/28/2016 change log posted in the Critical News section.

"Changes:
  • Set the max amount of attention points for a recruit to 80. As teams get 20 attention points per recruit this still allows plenty to invest into a recruit without giving an advantage to teams with a lot of scholarships open.
  • Improved the optimization of SimAI teams
    • Reset their Offense and Defense to the school default
    • Reset Tempo to Normal
    • Player Distribution
  • NBA Draft page - show last draft by default
  • Minor display bug fixes"

The second and third bullet points, I assume, refer to the quirk that popped up in beta where some teams, after passing from human to Sim status, were retaining ghost settings from their former human owner (tempo, defensive positioning, distribution settings for players back on the roster from the previous season, etc.). I took "school default" in the first to mean that Sim teams are going back to whatever Off and Def appears in the email you get from your Assistant Coach when he introduces himself to you whenever you first come to the program.
11/28/2016 1:48 AM
Posted by rednu on 11/28/2016 1:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by nachopuzzle on 11/27/2016 11:18:00 PM (view original):

FYI -- Taken from the 10/28/2016 change log posted in the Critical News section.

"Changes:
  • Set the max amount of attention points for a recruit to 80. As teams get 20 attention points per recruit this still allows plenty to invest into a recruit without giving an advantage to teams with a lot of scholarships open.
  • Improved the optimization of SimAI teams
    • Reset their Offense and Defense to the school default
    • Reset Tempo to Normal
    • Player Distribution
  • NBA Draft page - show last draft by default
  • Minor display bug fixes"

The second and third bullet points, I assume, refer to the quirk that popped up in beta where some teams, after passing from human to Sim status, were retaining ghost settings from their former human owner (tempo, defensive positioning, distribution settings for players back on the roster from the previous season, etc.). I took "school default" in the first to mean that Sim teams are going back to whatever Off and Def appears in the email you get from your Assistant Coach when he introduces himself to you whenever you first come to the program.
Given your response, I would have to completely disagree with your assesment about teams reverting to their WIS allocated defensive sets (and NEVER positioning). Plus, the tempo ALWAYS reverted back to normal, highest total team DEF IQ, and distro (though based on many factors) never seemed to rest on previous choices.

I can't remember assistant coach emails because I knew what I was getting into, and not to discredit the OP, but unless they had documeted for a fact what a SIM was run last season then I'm disinclined to take their 'word' for it...unless they kept their own records.
11/28/2016 2:51 AM (edited)
I'm not sure whether the default defenses (don't pay attention to the offenses) were distributed evenly.

They have virtually wiped out sims running zone in D2 Smith. It was a struggle to find 6 for my non-conference schedule.

I would think this was unintentional, but after the reset ... won't the sim teams revert to whatever defense they play the best again?

Also noticed that some sim teams are still not starting at Zero positioning like they always used to. Thought they were going to fix that.
11/30/2016 4:12 AM
For the record, I went back and checked the D2 team I had last season (moved to D1 this year), and they had changed their offense from Motion to Flex, so it looks to be just the system reverting to initial settings.
12/5/2016 12:15 AM
yep, sims are playing their default off/def sets.

even though they may have 5+ seniors with A IQ in triangle/press, they may play motion/man with their D/F IQ's
12/6/2016 10:47 AM
Sim Switching to 2-3? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.