Team Success Preference Topic

Is anyone Very Good for team success preference? It seems to be pretty hard to get based upon what I'm seeing for my D3 teams. CNU just won the NC and was in the FF the year before. I did have a non postseason appearance the year before that but then also FF and Title game before that.

So I've had-

National Champs
FF
None
FF
Title game

But I'm only Good on success. Seems like that should be enough for VG but I wanted to see what others were seeing.
12/5/2016 7:07 AM (edited)
Strange Benis. Maybe it's a 10 years thing? Same as the job process.
12/5/2016 7:21 AM
I have VG at Wisconsin Smith
12/5/2016 7:28 AM
I went Champ, Champ, Final 4, Elite 8, Champ, Champ in a 6 year stretch before 3.0 started and was still only "good" for success at D3 with a projected D3 recruit. My Maryland team hasn't gone past the Sweet 16 yet and we are "very good" for success with D1 recruits. It seems it is awfully hard (or impossible) to have very good for this preference at D3, but could be wrong.
12/5/2016 10:05 AM
Posted by Benis on 12/5/2016 7:07:00 AM (view original):
Is anyone Very Good for team success preference? It seems to be pretty hard to get based upon what I'm seeing for my D3 teams. CNU just won the NC and was in the FF the year before. I did have a non postseason appearance the year before that but then also FF and Title game before that.

So I've had-

National Champs
FF
None
FF
Title game

But I'm only Good on success. Seems like that should be enough for VG but I wanted to see what others were seeing.
They probably see the writing on the wall (you know, that Chowan is the future powerhouse program of the conference).
12/5/2016 11:39 AM
I've been Very Good. Of course my last five are Elite Eight (RPI 3) - Nat. Champ (RPI 4) - Second Round (RPI 3) -- Elite Eight (RPI 1) -- Final Four (RPI 11) and have just completed the team's 50th straight NT bid and 49th straight year making it at least to the second round.

But I didn't do all of that. I'm only in my 44th season here. Oh yeah, and we had a top 10 RPI in 37 of my 43 seasons, never being worse than 22. But Spudhole thinks he can tell me how to play the game.

And don't think this was gifted, it took me almost 25 seasons of HD before I figured out what I was doing.
12/5/2016 12:19 PM
Posted by piman314 on 12/5/2016 10:05:00 AM (view original):
I went Champ, Champ, Final 4, Elite 8, Champ, Champ in a 6 year stretch before 3.0 started and was still only "good" for success at D3 with a projected D3 recruit. My Maryland team hasn't gone past the Sweet 16 yet and we are "very good" for success with D1 recruits. It seems it is awfully hard (or impossible) to have very good for this preference at D3, but could be wrong.
Wow, thanks for positing piman. If you're not Very Good with that record, I don't think anyone is at D3. I think it's different at D3 than D1 based upon what Mully is saying. His season results are very similar to my Chestnut results and I'm only Good there too. I'll send in a ticket.
Wisconsin Chestnut
Elite 8 Sweet 16
2nd Round 2nd Round
2nd Round Title Game
Title Game Elite 8
12/5/2016 12:53 PM
Long term Sim teams should NEVER be considered a long term coach for recruiting purposes. The fact that no human has picked up the team should be a bad thing.
12/5/2016 1:12 PM
Posted by wvufan76 on 12/5/2016 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Long term Sim teams should NEVER be considered a long term coach for recruiting purposes. The fact that no human has picked up the team should be a bad thing.
I don't think it is unless its a glitch in the system.
12/5/2016 1:14 PM
Posted by wvufan76 on 12/5/2016 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Pretty off topic... but yeah I agree.
12/5/2016 1:45 PM
I have VG, Villanova Tark
12/6/2016 7:35 AM
I think it's not relativized for division. I have had A+ prestige D3 teams that were Good or Neutral but C+ prestige D1 teams that were good (and B+ prestige that were very good IIRC). D1 teams need a lot less than D3 to get into the positives for the success preference.
12/6/2016 7:23 PM
Well I sent in a ticket and got a response...

Q: "Hi, I'm trying to understand how to get a Very Good preference for team success. I think my D3 CNU team in Phelan has a very good past 4 seasons with a National Championship this past season but I'm only rated as Good.

Another poster on the forums (piman) has said his D3 team has won 2 titles, a FF and E8 in past 4 seasons and he's only Good as well. Some other folks have posted much worse resumes for their D1 teams and are Very Good.

Is it easier to get VG at D1 than D3?"

A: "The preference is based on team success and typically success is lower for lower division teams. You're still going to have a better preference than teams in your division that didn't do as well."

Q: "Thanks for the quick reply. But I don't think I explained my point very well.

You mentioned that success is lower for lower division so that means it's easier to get a Very Good preference in D3 than D1, correct? I'm basically saying that the opposite seems to be true. A couple people have shared their D1 resumes on the forums that are worse than D3 resumes. Teams that haven't won a National Championship are Very Good in D1 but teams that HAVE won a Nat Championship are only Good in D3. So it seems harder to get there at D3.

I'm just wondering if it's working as intended or if there is some glitch here."

A: "It's currently working as intended."
12/6/2016 7:57 PM
ie - I really don't know the answer...the person who coded it has left the company......
12/7/2016 8:28 AM
When they say "success is lower in lower division", I think they literally mean just that. Lower division teams are less successful (whether that logic is correct is a whole different conversation). I think you interpreted it to mean "the threshold for hitting the success preference threshold is lower in lower divisions" which I do not believe to be the case.
12/7/2016 8:49 AM
123 Next ▸
Team Success Preference Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.