Again, 242 used their free season and left.

I've never said it shouldn't be marketed. But I have said repeatedly that the "impulse buyer" isn't likely to stick around. I really think this is for the guy who WANTS to play it not the guy who sees an ad then thinks "Let me give this a shot."

And, no, I'm not saying anyone who wants to play has already found it. People's lives change. I wouldn't have played this in my 20s or 30s. So there are people getting older, or people who have begun to play sims recently, every day. I just don't believe there some big, untapped market that will be reached with a blitzkrieg of advertising. Truth is the best thing that could happen would be for Howie Long or Colin Cowherd or Joe Buck or any known FOX talking head to mention it on Twitter. But Howie, Colin and Joe aren't interested in sim games.
1/16/2017 10:47 AM
Well, as someone who has planned and managed several social ad campaigns, I disagree with your "this is for the guy who wants to play, not for people seeing an ad" notion. A well targeted ad leads to conversions, and consistent conversions lead to return visitors. WIS (or at least HD) could use a few well targeted ads.

I agree with the FOX influencer marketing idea though. Perfect Valentines Day tweet - Joe Buck and Troy Aikmen stare longingly into each other's eyes (you know, like they do) with the caption "Joe and Troy may love each other in the booth, but it's every man for himself in Hoops Dynasty. Try a free season with a loved one today!"
1/16/2017 11:27 AM
Posted by mbriese on 1/16/2017 11:27:00 AM (view original):
Well, as someone who has planned and managed several social ad campaigns, I disagree with your "this is for the guy who wants to play, not for people seeing an ad" notion. A well targeted ad leads to conversions, and consistent conversions lead to return visitors. WIS (or at least HD) could use a few well targeted ads.

I agree with the FOX influencer marketing idea though. Perfect Valentines Day tweet - Joe Buck and Troy Aikmen stare longingly into each other's eyes (you know, like they do) with the caption "Joe and Troy may love each other in the booth, but it's every man for himself in Hoops Dynasty. Try a free season with a loved one today!"
Well the only way that tweet is getting out there is if you tweet it and WIS re-tweets you...
1/16/2017 11:34 AM

I know you planned and managed several social ad campaigns. You mention it every time before you disagree with me. While that's nice, I doubt you've planned and managed several social ad campaigns for simsports.

I just created a mayo and peanutbutter sandwich. It's delicious. However, no amount of social ad campaigns is going to turn this into a major product. It's an acquired taste and the market is limited. Would I like to reach every single person who might find it tasty? Of course I would. But that comes with a price tag. Does the potential sales warrant said price tag for advertising? Probably not. So I'll let people find it on their own.
1/16/2017 12:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/16/2017 12:15:00 PM (view original):

I know you planned and managed several social ad campaigns. You mention it every time before you disagree with me. While that's nice, I doubt you've planned and managed several social ad campaigns for simsports.

I just created a mayo and peanutbutter sandwich. It's delicious. However, no amount of social ad campaigns is going to turn this into a major product. It's an acquired taste and the market is limited. Would I like to reach every single person who might find it tasty? Of course I would. But that comes with a price tag. Does the potential sales warrant said price tag for advertising? Probably not. So I'll let people find it on their own.
The reason I've brought it up is to remind you that I know what I'm talking about, while you're just talking out of your ***. While your "peanut butter sandwich sale" analogy is fun, it's not even close to an apples to apples comparison. Hell, it's not even an apples to oranges comparison. It's more like an "apples to horrible analogy" comparison. The only reason you're even using that nonsense argument is because you can't come up with a reasonable argument for something you're wrong about, but you really want to keep arguing about it. Threads like this are why the "are Mike and Spud the same person?" conversation comes up from time to time.

1/16/2017 1:35 PM
Not so much. I just don't think you've planned and managed a social ad campaign for a product that has such a limited market.

My analogy is based in fact. Like it or not, HD is an "acquired taste". 100 will try it, 1 will stay for double digit seasons. The game lacks bells, whistles, real-time action or monetary gain. It is for people who like farting around with sims who are not necessarily even basketball fans.

I'll say it one more time and I'll type really slow for you. 345 people tried this game in the OP's world. 242 of them left when they had to pay for the game. And the same thing happened across multiple worlds. Why do you think that is?
1/16/2017 1:46 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/16/2017 7:03:00 AM (view original):
OK, let's try it this way. They gave away FREE teams. When it came time to renew at a measly $12, the world went from 345 to 103. That's 242 users who SHOULD have been interested in this type of game. Why does anyone think there's some big(or medium or even small) untapped market out there that would love something like this but just hasn't bothered to look?
That's exactly my point though mike. No product on this planet has 100% retention of first time users. The acquisition coast of a new customer is one of those challenges to any business.

in my example I said 5% of those exposed actually try it and 10% of that 5% stay longer. The numbers you have me are roughly 30% stayed after first exposure. Now if even 30%of those stay long term, you have succeeded.

keep in mind this was accomplished without advertising, just free hd. Put this baby on the sports ticker and the website for minimal costs and see how many people roll in. In addition, this site is not just about HD. Someone may find some other sim game they love on here.
1/16/2017 3:27 PM (edited)
http://www.foxsports.com/

Hover over "fantasy" and it's right there.
1/16/2017 3:35 PM
They could advertise the product fairly inexpensively, it's FOX, they have resources already in place that would cost little to nothing to utilize for this purpose. They choose not to, that's their choice to make or not make. They could also go whole hog and splash the airwaves, social media, television, and the internet with millions in advertising. At the end of the day, whichever route they choose, they'll still have the same basic problem they have right now. Customer retention.

I don't know what the answer to the problem is going to be, but I would think it almost has to involve WIS stepping up their game in the area of communication. It seems to me that they keep trying to correct the problem by sweeping overhauls of the product. I don't work for FOX or WIS, so I don't know if that's their intent or not. Or for that matter, if they even view the lack of retention as a problem.

I do know that the transition to HD 3.0 has been, thus far, the SMOOTHEST change WIS has ever done in the time that I've been playing HD. You may or may not like the new HD, but it's hard to deny that there have been relatively few effects from this switch that are percieved as "Disasters". by the oversall user base compared to every other transition HD has been through. I'm not suggesting that it's a better game now, nor am I suggesting that it's worse. I'm still getting a feel for it and I will be for a few more seasons yet. They still have some issues to correct, some new, some old, but I'm giving them credit for this transition being very smooth and relatively pain-free. That in itself is a MAJOR step for WIS.

1/16/2017 5:34 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/16/2017 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Not so much. I just don't think you've planned and managed a social ad campaign for a product that has such a limited market.

My analogy is based in fact. Like it or not, HD is an "acquired taste". 100 will try it, 1 will stay for double digit seasons. The game lacks bells, whistles, real-time action or monetary gain. It is for people who like farting around with sims who are not necessarily even basketball fans.

I'll say it one more time and I'll type really slow for you. 345 people tried this game in the OP's world. 242 of them left when they had to pay for the game. And the same thing happened across multiple worlds. Why do you think that is?
242 of 345 left tells one nothing about how many potential customers exist who have never heard of the product - but would could be interested if they did. Simply zero.

I have seen no evidence anywhere in this thread-beyond anecdote - positive or negative - about the extent to which their are potential users out there who dont know about the product....
1/16/2017 7:51 PM
I think 100% of the people who have never heard of the product has never looked for it.
1/16/2017 8:24 PM
I still think that they were mostly bots.
1/16/2017 8:49 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/16/2017 8:24:00 PM (view original):
I think 100% of the people who have never heard of the product has never looked for it.
could well be - but again tells one nothing about the question whether there are potential customers who would be interested if they heard of it - who may not even be aware of this category of game, have never searched for it.
1/16/2017 9:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/16/2017 8:24:00 PM (view original):
For as much money as you have spent on this site, you've been a bit of a stooge throughout this entire topic...I mean this site sparks your eyre yet you downplay the hell out of it...doesn't make sense...unless you're just trolling because you're a stooge.......
1/16/2017 11:13 PM
"Threads like this are why the "are Mike and Spud the same person?" conversation comes up from time to time."

And statements like that only take down your credibility.
1/17/2017 12:38 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.