New Owner D3 recruiting question Topic

I'm playing my 1st season ever. I'm at D3 with a bottom tier school, RPI 290. I currently have 1 scholarship open with all other players signed by AI. I believe that I should try to sign a guy early, then rescind some schollys. I have some jucos with high interest that would be improvements but I can't sign them now unless I cut some SO.s Pretty much half the team could be upgraded, I think. How should I use the attention points (I'm thinking maybe 6 APs to start with?) and how do they unlock the other recruiting options? (do you know immediately if you can go to other recruiting options or do you have to wait and be notified?) I've focused on short distance recruits. What are approximate costs on the various scouting options on, let's use a 100 mile prospect? I've bought extra seasons and would like to get a sense of competence. Thanks for any feedback.
1/24/2017 11:39 AM (edited)
Posted by TBill7 on 1/24/2017 11:39:00 AM (view original):
I'm playing my 1st season ever. I'm at D3 with a bottom tier school, RPI 290. I currently have 1 scholarship open with all other players signed by AI. I believe that I should try to sign a guy early, then rescind some schollys. I have some jucos with high interest that would be improvements but I can't sign them now unless I cut some SO.s Pretty much half the team could be upgraded, I think. How should I use the attention points (I'm thinking maybe 6 APs to start with?) and how do they unlock the other recruiting options? (do you know immediately if you can go to other recruiting options or do you have to wait and be notified?) I've focused on short distance recruits. What are approximate costs on the various scouting options on, let's use a 100 mile prospect? I've bought extra seasons and would like to get a sense of competence. Thanks for any feedback.
You'll have to wait for the other options to be unlocked, it will be somewhat of a dice roll as you will have a tough time to really put effort in until you can rescind the schollys. Your idea to go low on AP will work to start building interest but if anyone else jumps in with legit AP points you will be at an uphill battle. typically 20-30 AP points per cycle with unlock scholarship in 2 cycles and then the 3rd cycle with the scholly with open up home visits and campus visits.

You could probably extend your range to 200-300 as the actual cost difference between 1 mile and 250 miles is very small, from 250-500 it isn't huge either but makes a jump at 250 + generally. then 500+ makes another cost move, generally at D2 I start at a 500 mile radius and if for some reason I can't find what I'm looking for I stretch out. D3 within 300 miles should work and shouldn't completely break your budget. Make sure you leave some leftover just in case.

Side final note is I am not a very heavy JUCO recruiter as my mentality is to build from the ground up, unless I have a huge hole and I can spot fill for a year or 2 to balance classes I stay away from JUCOs. I always go the direction of balanced classes and JUCOs don't fit that mold, however if you want to win games fast the direction that your talking is a good way to go. Won't win you NTs or PTs fast but will make you competitive fast.

Sorry for the long winded response, hope it helps!
1/24/2017 11:46 AM
Beware of IQ though, just getting "better rated players" that are Juco does not mean they will perform better than freshmen.
1/24/2017 1:33 PM
Posted by zhawks on 1/24/2017 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Beware of IQ though, just getting "better rated players" that are Juco does not mean they will perform better than freshmen.
agreed, which is why I tend to stay away. IQ can really hurt you, I ran 2 JUCOS I didn't recruit for the first time this season and lost a lot of games I should have won. however I didn't have the best of other options and figured it wasn't going to be a great season anyways so forced it to just get IQ faster.

I wouldn't involve JUCOs in the offense as much until the later part of the season and they get out of the D/C range.
1/24/2017 2:11 PM
just fyi, but you can use the attention points each cycle and re-set them. you mentioned using "6 attention points" and you will need to use much more than that to unlock things (I typically use 20-80 per cycle on a player). Obviously there's lots of ways to divide the attention points each cycle, but definitely use the full amount each time to maximize your efforts.
1/24/2017 3:20 PM
Thanks. Good to know, guys. That's a lot of helpful insight, so far.
1/24/2017 3:51 PM

And most importantly, how are those better teams getting those better players?

Most, if not all, are NOT coming from Div III recruiting. Recruit Div II players, and Div I once you get the hang of it. Then success comes easy.
1/24/2017 4:14 PM
It sounds like I have more room to maneuver than I thought. Can I immediately rescind two or three 'ships before I sign my open one? Will I get an extra 20 APs and $2k for each? (for immediate use) I'm starting with my original 2k and $1362 scouting. These can be co mingled, right? What would be the average cost for a CV (at 100mi)? What would be the average cost for a HV (same 100mi)? My jucos prefer the triangle and the zone, which are what I'm playing. It sounds like I would have a lot of options.
1/24/2017 5:58 PM (edited)
Check your world schedule to see when you can rescind scholarships. The window is small and specific. But, yeah, if you didn't sign them you will get resources for them.
1/24/2017 7:56 PM
Thanks, I found it. It starts four days after recruiting starts.
1/24/2017 9:45 PM
Bill, have you read chapel and benis's guide? It's pinned to the top. It's very useful.
1/24/2017 10:03 PM
I hadn't noticed it. But just quickly skimming through it, I see it's required reading. Thanks.
1/26/2017 9:39 AM
Quick unrelated recruiting question:
Does the scouting service price go down as recruits sign?
1/27/2017 11:47 PM
Posted by Derek_Koenig on 1/27/2017 11:47:00 PM (view original):
Quick unrelated recruiting question:
Does the scouting service price go down as recruits sign?
nope, I haven't heard that at all.
1/27/2017 11:49 PM
"I'm starting with my original 2k and $1362 scouting. These can be co mingled, right?"

If you're asking can you mix scouting and recruiting funds, the answer is no.

"Does the scouting service price go down as recruits sign?"

The scouting service is based on the number of unsigned players of the division you select in that state. The charge per player remains the same, but of course the number of players and therefore the overall cost of that state goes down. Bear in mind that you can only scout a particular division in a particular state once. Once you have scouted it you cannot repeat it.
1/28/2017 1:33 AM
12 Next ▸
New Owner D3 recruiting question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.